By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American sales - WII + PS3 --- just WOW

I dunno why some people are saying the PSP is all of a sudden doing badly. If you look at the data the system's been selling about 60,000 units a week since the price drop that occurred in the spring of last year (except during the holiday season when sales were obviously inflated). The difference now is that the 360 is selling twice as many units as before and the PS3 is selling 3 times as many units compared to last year around this time. The PSP is doing alright and March it should do great with God of War and FFVII. Oh, and everyone go out and buy PATAPON!

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Wii isn't really surprising to me. It jumps up and down as inventory comes in waves.

But the PS3 really is still astonishing, isn't it? Look at this time last year: the PS3 sales up 200 percent. 200 percent! This exceeds even the most optimistic projections for the year, I believe, and really is flying in the face of predictions made by people like me and Sullla.

We'll see if it can keep it up!

I know, I know. It's the one thing that has me baffled, because all the other consoles are selling at pretty much the rate I expected in 2008. PS3 sales in Europe and Japan are also tracking right about where I thought they would be. Yet for no apparent reason, PS3 sales have gone up hugely in America. Why? This console still has largely the same library as the 360. The PS3-exclusive games from last year sold decently, but didn't set the world on fire. Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted - all solid titles, not much sales impact. I can't possibly believe that THAT many people care about Blu-Ray, when clearly they didn't last year. What's going on? *confused*

I wonder if 360 shortages have something to do with this (?) as rocketpig has been explaining in this thread. That kind of makes sense, although there has to be more going on than just that. If you can think of non-fanboyish reasons why the PS3 seems to have surged in popularity in America, without releasing any new exlusives of note, please let me know!

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Maybe Hus or Blue3 won the lottery and want to boost the PS3 in the most direct way possible.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

@ Final-Fan

lol! I think you might got something with that post.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Is anyone actually seeing this 360 shortage now? And I mean now, not a month ago. In early January and throughout the majority of the month all major retailers in my area had slim pickings in terms of 360 stock, with arcade units mostly in stock but hardly any pro/elites. They were also tough to find in stock online.

But since late January/early Feb. there doesn't seem to be any issues in my area or online. Best Buy has their usual stack of pros lining the isle with arcades and elites scattered throughout the video game section. Checking online, Best Buy, EB, and Newegg all have all models in stock (didn't see the sense in checking more places when the first three I checked had them).

If it weren't for the apparent stock online, I'd say my area must just have been lucky enough to get some shipments, but as far as I can tell, this shortage stuff is just bullshit at this point. There was a shortage in January, but it sure looks to me like it also ended in January.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Blu-ray resulted in a WIN/WIN for SONY!!

lets see how this continues!!

Well yeah selling PS3's because of blu-ray is an obvious(I know of only 2 people personally but I've seen/heard of it before) it's both good and bad though.. For the moment Sony still loses on hardware so if people are buying a PS3 only for Blu-ray it will hurt the electronic entertainment division and possibly help the movie division of Sony(there's more studios and I'm not positive if sony gets as big a fee for releasing on blu-ray as games) Depending on how it works out it could hurt them in hardware losses if they can't make it up in games and movies. Edit: However Blu-ray beating out HD-DVD can only help consumer opinion on Sony, will blu-ray be a standard as long as DVD or VHS, I doubt VHS but DVD length is possible if other formats don't come out(I know of 1 that's out and at least 3 coming with much higher storage capacity and faster data access times)

Fel_Br said:
I'm Really really Happy with the Ps3 Sales these days, Sony Deserve it after all

Same here. I went on a hunt for PataPon at Circuit City and there was a stack of 360 Elites that were about to fall on me. So, I had to beat on defense mode and yelled, "Chaka Chaka Pata Pon!" Ah, I want that game now! >_<'

zeitgeistmovie.com

PS3 Trophies

Why are people always trying to tag the PS3's sales onto the Wii's success? The Wii has sold more than double that of the PS3. That's like saying, "Wow, look at McCain and Ron Pauls votes in the Wisconsin primaries!"

I'll comment. If your MS, drying up your channel at this important moment in the sales race is a bad move.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

OUPS rocketpig
I said :

"Xbox360 : there are maybe short supply occuring in NA
we dont know in fact."

and I wanted to say :

"maybe the short supply is still occuring in NA"

MS stated they have this problem in referrence to NPD January data it is why, for me, we were not sure short suply were still occuring in NA. I believe it is true since I doubt the PS3 would outsold the Xbox360 as easly.

Time to Work !