By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii U hit 10 million by the end of the year?

Will Wii U hit 10 million by the end of 2014?

Yes 504 59.64%

No 339 40.12%

Total:843

To anybody quoting the 3.6 million number and Iwata's "conservative" comment, that is for the FISCAL year, not CALENDER year. April 2014 - March 2015, not April 2014 - December 2014. Just pointing it out there.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Around the Network
Welfare said:
To anybody quoting the 3.6 million number and Iwata's "conservative" comment, that is for the FISCAL year, not CALENDER year. April 2014 - March 2015, not April 2014 - December 2014. Just pointing it out there.

a pre mario kart8 estimate...it might be  deliberate...nintendo is used to missing goals,so set purposely a low standard ,in order to exceed it and subsequently suprise us pleasanlty...you may disagree,but  is  a strong likelihood

XBox One will be around 9 to 10. Wii U will be between 10 to 11 million. It may take a year or two for the XBox One to over take the Wii U and close down the one million gap. Wii U has tricks/games up its sleeve to delay the inevitable of the XBox One overtaking it some time this generation.

Nothing in the games industry is a "safe bet" anymore. However, with some (far better) strong advertising, MK8, Bayonetta, (possibly) Devil's Third, and if they can manage to get Smash Wii U (aka the real game) out before Black Friday, then yes, I think there is always a CHANCE that Wii U could reach if not 10 mil, then at least close. I think, at the very least, it will stay within 2 mil. of PS4, and that's something.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
XBox One will be around 9 to 10. Wii U will be between 10 to 11 million. It may take a year or two for the XBox One to over take the Wii U and close down the one million gap. Wii U has tricks/games up its sleeve to delay the inevitable of the XBox One overtaking it some time this generation.

No offense, but what makes you think that? I'm just curious, because at least according to VGC numbers, Wii U is actually nearly 2 million ahead of Xbone, and sitting at 5 million units sold, posting another 5 million by the end of December would truly be a feat indeed. Wii U possibly making up around 3 million between now and then (with a good holiday blitz, pushing the MK8 bundle more, and SB), is feasible. I just don't see ANY of the three consoles selling 5 million units in just a few months though.

As for Xbone overtaking Wii U LT? Who the hell knows. Anything can happen, honestly. And if Zelda is as amazing as it has potential to be, along with "X", and especially if "Amiibo" takes off, I dunno. Wii U certainly does have some games up it's sleeve, and inevitably many more will be revealed for 2015/16/etc. So we'll see.

Around the Network

It definitely can hit that 10M mark. If not, it should get close thanks to upcoming releases for it.

Year 2021 - 'Still patiently waiting for Fire Emblem WiiU no signs of change... They say "It's right on schedule"'

Holiday bundles will influence a lot for this.
If you guys have any ideas or just want to vote on who will have the best holiday bundles check this threat.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=188242

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

gcube2000 said:

Here's my prediction. Post yours in the comments.

Wii U had a tough first half of 2014. Selling nearly as bad as 2013. Mario Kart 8 had come and has boosted Wii U sales for 2 months now and has had a steady baseline for awhile of 60k. If this keeps up it should hit 7 million in about a month. Which is going to be the very beggining of September. When will it hit 8 million?  By September Wii U baseline should drop just slightly to 50k-55k. Probably will sell 250k because of Hyrule Warriors at the end of the month. Puts Wii U at about 7.3m... Now lets go to October.... Probably will have a very small boost to baseline.. selling about 65k to maybe 70k. So lets say 67.5k. Now with Bayonetta 2 at the end of the month.. it will give it a small boost. Wii U will probably sell just short of 300k in October. This puts Wii U at 7.6m... Now November.. it has 5 weeks.... Smash Bros will probably release in mid-late november. Along with Sonic Boom and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. November I think will top 1,000,000 because of this. Maybe even a bit over. and Black Friday and getting close to holidays. Wii U will have sold 8.7m... December.. the largest month in terms of sales. Probably will be 2,000,000. Putting Wii U at 10.7m sold..... There's not a doubt in my mind it can't hit this. It did nearly 1.76m in Dec 2012 and 1.14m in Dec 2013.

EDIT: I forgot about Amiibo.

I think there's a good chance Wii U will do it.

However I was just looking at a similar data point of Xbox 360 in 2007:

Jun-2007 390K
Jul-2007 267K (Pending price cut effect)
Aug-2007 413K (Price cuts)
Sep-2007 824K (Halo 3)
Oct-2007 767K (Launch of XB360 Arcade, PGR 4)
Nov-2007 1036K (Mass Effect)
Dec-2007 2196K

So in Nov/Dec 2007 the XB360 hit sales around 1M/2.2M, close to your estimate for Wii U.
Compared to Wii U, XB360 had a higher baseline in that summer, and then got price cuts.  It also got Halo 3, PGR 4 & Mass Effect exclusives.

The point here is I don't see Wii U being quite as strong as XB360 was to push to 1M/2M in Nov/Dec.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
I think there's a good chance Wii U will do it.

However I was just looking at a similar data point of Xbox 360 in 2007:

Jun-2007 390K
Jul-2007 267K (Pending price cut effect)
Aug-2007 413K (Price cuts)
Sep-2007 824K (Halo 3)
Oct-2007 767K (Launch of XB360 Arcade, PGR 4)
Nov-2007 1036K (Mass Effect)
Dec-2007 2196K

So in Nov/Dec 2007 the XB360 hit sales around 1M/2.2M, close to your estimate for Wii U.
Compared to Wii U, XB360 had a higher baseline in that summer, and then got price cuts.  It also got Halo 3, PGR 4 & Mass Effect exclusives.

The point here is I don't see Wii U being quite as strong as XB360 was to push to 1M/2M in Nov/Dec.

Nintendo has always done particularly well during holidays. 3DS did 315k in July 2011, and then in December sold 4.8 million units. I'm not sure a comparison with 360 in 2007 is a good comparison.

It should be able to hit 10m, that seems feasible.

Momentum and upcoming releases seem good; Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom, Captain Toad, Smash Bros., plus MK8 and the strong library Wii U has built so far (Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, NSMBU, Zelda WW HD, Pikmin 3 etc.), Amiibo, bundles... It's set to be very successful indeed.

Also, Nintendo's holiday boost in November/December is always insanely big. 

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046