By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe To Say 3rd Party Support From Wii U Is Pretty Much Gone?

Looks like Wii U is getting Pro Evolution 5. This will be massive in European markets and will go some way to
make up for the lack of Fifa 15.
EA really is the devil...

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor-pes-2015-releasing-wii-u/

Around the Network
Vena said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I have to ask....what REALLY made the Wii so successful? I am not trying to be funny or start anything I am just curious as to what you think made the Wii so seccessful. 

Price. Casuals. Nintendo Titles. Hackability.

Price - Nope. Gamecube was the cheapest and failed horribly

Casuals - A common myth pounded into the heads of the easily impressionable hardcore by the industry but false. I believe the oldschool/retro/lapsed gamers contributed far more to the Wii's success. This is because it stripped the "fluff" of gaming that had turned many of these people off (cutscenes, dialouge, overly complex control schemes) and returned to pure core gameplay. Yes, there were also plenty of "new" or "non" gamers that jumped aboard but the term "casual" is a stupid terms because many of these people play games in one form or another on a regular (non casual) basis, and/or have gone deeper into more complex games since.

Nintendo titles - Partially true. More acurately would be the RIGHT Nintendo titles. You had the quality core titles like Smash, Galaxy, Prime, etc, coupled with the bridge type games like Mario Kart, NSMB, DKC, along with ground breaking fresh types of games that lured new gamers (and aforementioned oldschool gamers) in like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Wii Play. Gamecube and N64 also had Nintendo titles. The difference was, THOSE Nintendo games appealed mainly to the Nintendo hardcore, rather than the mass market.

Hackability - Doesn't explain why Wii has such high software sales (another common myth the hardcore loves to spout is that no one bought the games, but it is again, completely false)

Basically Wii brought gaming back to its more simple and appealing arcade roots, while simultaenously introducing fresh concepts that brought in the mass market.

With Wii U, you get a sense that it's really more similar to Gamecube with niche titles like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Zombi U, Zelda WW, etc, with a Wii overlay.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I wonder if they will get SILENT HILLS... Also, it is a shame they cannot get a FALLOUT, using the PIP-Boy in the gamepad would be very cool =/

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

tripenfall said:
Looks like Wii U is getting Pro Evolution 5. This will be massive in European markets and will go some way to
make up for the lack of Fifa 15.
EA really is the devil...

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rumor-pes-2015-releasing-wii-u/

Debunked

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/13/konami-debunks-rumor-of-pes-2015-for-wii-u/

DarthMetalliCube said:
Vena said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I have to ask....what REALLY made the Wii so successful? I am not trying to be funny or start anything I am just curious as to what you think made the Wii so seccessful. 

Casuals - A common myth pounded into the heads of the easily impressionable hardcore by the industry but false. I believe the oldschool/retro/lapsed gamers contributed far more to the Wii's success. This is because it stripped the "fluff" of gaming that had turned many of these people off (cutscenes, dialouge, overly complex control schemes) and returned to pure core gameplay. Yes, there were also plenty of "new" or "non" gamers that jumped aboard but the term "casual" is a stupid terms because many of these people play games in one form or another on a regular (non casual) basis, and/or have gone deeper into more complex games since.

Nintendo titles - Partially true. More acurately would be the RIGHT Nintendo titles. You had the quality core titles like Smash, Galaxy, Prime, etc, coupled with the bridge type games like Mario Kart, NSMB, DKC, along with ground breaking fresh types of games that lured new gamers (and aforementioned oldschool gamers) in like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Wii Play. Gamecube and N64 also had Nintendo titles. The difference was, THOSE Nintendo games appealed mainly to the Nintendo hardcore, rather than the mass market.

Hackability - Doesn't explain why Wii has such high software sales (another common myth the hardcore loves to spout is that no one bought the games, but it is again, completely false)

Basically Wii brought gaming back to its more simple and appealing arcade roots, while simultaenously introducing fresh concepts that brought in the mass market.

With Wii U, you get a sense that it's really more similar to Gamecube with niche titles like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Zombi U, Zelda WW, etc, with a Wii overlay.

What specific games would do the trick for Wii U in your opinion?

Wii U has Wii Sports and Wii Fit, it has oldschool games, it has core games. They are trying to get simple gameing trough touch control (that is a big hit in the casual smartphone market). 

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
"Safe To Say 3rd Party Support From Wii U Is Pretty Much Gone?"

This question suggests it was there to start with. You can't really lose what you never really had.

Ladies and Gentelman, we have a winner!

baloofarsan said:
DarthMetalliCube said:
Vena said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

What specific games would do the trick for Wii U in your opinion?

Wii U has Wii Sports and Wii Fit, it has oldschool games, it has core games. They are trying to get simple gameing trough touch control (that is a big hit in the casual smartphone market). 

Wii Sports and Wii Fit is a start, but those games can only do so much at this point, since they are sequels of games that already exist. Because they are sequels, they are limited in capturing new audiences and carrying a console and will not have near the impact the originals had. They might sell strongly, but they won't do much in breaking new ground. What Nintendo needs are more NEW games that push the envelope like those games once did. I think Splatoon can be a potential massive hit, as it's a brand new game that seems to be relatively easy to pick up and play, not to mention just looks like a lot of fun to play for almost anyone. Beyond that I don't see much. I'm curious to see what manifests from the "quality of life" platform, as I think that can potentially open up new doors and bring Nintendo new audiences once again, but there's just not enough known about it for now.

Also, the touch control thing is all well and good, but in the case of the Wii U gamepad, all it does is overcomplicates things, and that's not what the mass market is looking for. The Wiimote was a simple rectangular object with few buttons, shaped like a familiar remote, and it even moved to your natural motions. Wii U gamepad, with its big touch screen and plethroa of buttons, is just intimidating to the average consumer. Even myself, a gamer of 20 plus years, struggled initially with the device.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I think the rest of us realised this over a year ago.

oniyide said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

I'm going to be laughed at for this, but just like in Hollywood, most blockbuster movies now suck and are only explosion filled crap. Most 3rd party triple AAA titles in the future will follow the titanfall, destiny, COD style and unless someone like firaxis starts releasing their games, 3rd party, on consoles, I couldn't care less about 3rd party games.

So you think most of the 3rd party AAA titles will all be FPS? Are you being serious or just joking because you know that is nowhere near true. Heck it isn't even currently true. I can respect you not caring about 3rd party games because to each his or her own but to say MOST of the 3rd party AAA  games that will release will be FPS is just in NO WAY shape or form true....

I think this is one of those "i didnt want it anyway so nyaahh!'" scenarios

The best selling 3rd party for generation 8: Sports, Racing, Action, and two shooters

Call of Duty: Ghosts      Shooter     Activision

Watch Dogs     Action     Ubisoft

FIFA Soccer 14     Sports     Electronic Arts

Battlefield 4     Shooter     Electronic Arts      

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag       Action     Ubisoft

Need for Speed Rivals     Racing     Electronic Arts

NBA 2K14     Sports     Take-Two Interactive

Soon to come on the top list: GTA V and Minecraft and maybe Destiny, 

DarthMetalliCube said:
Vena said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I love how you ignore that Cube had Smash and a Mario Kart, big ass franchises and it still did crap. ANd you choose to ignore a bunch of games that got released on WIi U and will come out. Wii U got a Kart and DKC, a 2d Mario and 3d getting Smash hell even got a couple of WIi titles in there. BUt is still probably going to sell as well as GC. 

It was the wiimote thats why it sold. Anything else is a lie.