By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Selektive Memory: The Nintendo Wii U

Tagged games:

DerNebel said:
Devil_Survivor said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Jumpin said:
PS4 is doing rather poorly itself. It just happens to be doing the 2nd best out of a bunch of consoles that are doing poorly.

Well only if you think outselling it's predecessor so far is poor...

Well it didn't have the burden of a 600 dollar price tag and second rate versions of multiplats to deal with.

Whatever the reason may be, it still takes a whole lot of spinning to try and say that the PS4 is doing poorly. It isn't, at all. Shipping 9.5 million consoles in 8 months is massive.

I am examining current sales. You are making a spin by examining past sales, and attributing them to the present, completely ignoring the the fact that the PS4 only sold 117K last week, which is in line with how it has been selling for months.

It was years before the Wii had sales that low, and PS4 has been doing it regularly. The Wii launched in 2006, in July 2007 it was selling 250K per week, more than double the PS4 currently. It was only in July 2011, when it had declined to 130K per week, that it dropped to selling in the low range the PS4 is currently selling.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
DerNebel said:
Devil_Survivor said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Jumpin said:
PS4 is doing rather poorly itself. It just happens to be doing the 2nd best out of a bunch of consoles that are doing poorly.

Well only if you think outselling it's predecessor so far is poor...

Well it didn't have the burden of a 600 dollar price tag and second rate versions of multiplats to deal with.

Whatever the reason may be, it still takes a whole lot of spinning to try and say that the PS4 is doing poorly. It isn't, at all. Shipping 9.5 million consoles in 8 months is massive.

Exactly. Its doing well no matter what anyone may say.

The data shows that it did well for a short time around launch, and 8 months later is now doing poorly.

Jumpin said:

People that claim this have obviously not checked the sales history of earlier consoles. Had the PS4 been a 7th gen console it would have kicked PS360 ass big-time, sales wise.

Jumpin said:
DerNebel said:
Devil_Survivor said:

I am examining current sales. You are making a spin by examining past sales, and attributing them to the present, completely ignoring the the fact that the PS4 only sold 117K last week, which is in line with how it has been selling for months.

It was years before the Wii had sales that low, and PS4 has been doing it regularly. The Wii launched in 2006, in July 2007 it was selling 250K per week, more than double the PS4 currently. It was only in July 2011, when it had declined to 130K per week, that it dropped to selling in the low range the PS4 is currently selling.

No, what I'm doing is applying logic to them, the thing you completely fail to do, you can't view those sales in a vacuum, you have to look at what point in its life the PS4 is currently in.

Also hilarious how you tell me that I'm making a spin by examining past sales and then compare the PS4 to past Wii sales, at least try to have some consistency in your argument. And the whole Wii comparison is still pointless as the Wii had, as has been said time and again, a extraordinarily short life with explosive sales, while PS consoles have always had longer lives.

I've said it over and over already but the PS4 does not need to outsell the Wii now to outsell it in its life. The PS4 is doing very well right now, accept it.

Topic is being skewed way off base.

PS4 is doing much better than the Wii U.

The fact is there isn't a market for a quirky, middle of the road console that's casual friendly with just a dash of hardcore appeal. That was the point I was making. 

You either make a console that's full blown hardcore (meaning in the Western console/dudebros appeal sense) or there isn't a market left for you to sell to IMO.

Even though I can't say I fully like what the game industry is turning into, I can't deny that's what its boiled down to.

Even kids don't want a more "kid like" console, they want to play "Calladooty" more than the adults do. That's what the console is for. 

Then you factor in the devaluation of casual + cartoony + arcadey-style gaming due to mobile, and Nintendo is pretty much left with no one but their most loyal fans. Which isn't enough to support an entire console platform.

If 2004-2007 was a perfect storm of everything going right for Nintendo on top of a few key decisions/gambles that paid off perfectly, then this gen is a perfect storm of external factors all going wrong for Nintendo on top of several key decisions/gambles that have backfired horribly. It's a funny business that way. 

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
Jumpin said:
DerNebel said:
Devil_Survivor said:

No, what I'm doing is applying logic to them, the thing you completely fail to do, you can't view those sales in a vacuum, you have to look at what point in its life the PS4 is currently in.

Also hilarious how you tell me that I'm making a spin by examining past sales and then compare the PS4 to past Wii sales, at least try to have some consistency in your argument. And the whole Wii comparison is still pointless as the Wii had, as has been said time and again, a extraordinary short life with explosive sales, while PS consoles have always had longer lives.

I've said it over and over already but the PS4 does not need to outsell the Wii now to outsell it in its life. The PS4 is doing very well right now and if you claim otherwise, then sorry but you're really clueless.

So then, let's compare it to PS2:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

PS2 launched in March 2000 in Japan, and fall 2000 everywhere else. At the end of March 2001 it had shipped 10.6m, and by the end of summer 2001 quarter, in September, it had shipped an additional 9 million units, for a total of 19.57 million, or an average of about 345K shipped per week.

You are attempting to twist PS4's current 117K into a good number, when it is in fact a poor number.

Hmm. How the heck did this thread become a thread about the PS4's sales?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Jumpin said:
DerNebel said:

Also hilarious how you tell me that I'm making a spin by examining past sales and then compare the PS4 to past Wii sales, at least try to have some consistency in your argument. And the whole Wii comparison is still pointless as the Wii had, as has been said time and again, a extraordinary short life with explosive sales, while PS consoles have always had longer lives.

I've said it over and over already but the PS4 does not need to outsell the Wii now to outsell it in its life. The PS4 is doing very well right now and if you claim otherwise, then sorry but you're really clueless.

So then, let's compare it to PS2:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

PS2 launched in March 2000 in Japan, and fall 2000 everywhere else. At the end of March 2001 it had shipped 10.6m, and by the end of summer 2001 quarter, in September, it had shipped an additional 9 million units, for a total of 19.57 million, or an average of about 345K shipped per week.

You are attempting to twist PS4's current 117K into a good number, when it is in fact a poor number.

So your criterion for not doing poor is either to do as well as the best selling console of all time or as well as the fastest selling console of all time, genius.

I guess the PS3 or 360 both sold poor then and I mean really poor.

STOP talking about PS4 sales, lol, that's not what this thread is for. Take that talk somewhere else. I was simply stating an example of why the Wii U (which is what this thread is about) is in dire straights. It's just not a console that has a market, even the original Wii IMO would not sell in today's market conditions.

The person willing to buy a brand new console is buying one to play by and large "Hollywood summer movie-ized" gaming blockbusters. They play on their 50+ inch screen. That's what the home console has primarily become now as a result of the "middle part" of the industry basically being squeezed out. 

Even Sony's Yoshida-san expressed dismay that gamers just seem to fixate on big budget shooters and don't seem to be wanting anything else. 

In this climate, Nintendo is in tough to begin with, but they also made several stupid decisions with the Wii U on top of that so that they basically have no chance. 

Agreed. The Wii U should be supported and hopefully Nintendo makes the next console cheaper yet the same power or more.

With great advertising.