By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: Infighting in Nintendo Management Leads to Scheming to Get Rid of Iwata

Soundwave said:
I'd say the 3DS has sold quite well. Just not "great" per se.

It's on pace to break 70+ million, which isn't bad at all.

70+ million is a good number on its own, but Nintendo needs far more than that for it to the foundation of their business. Doing half of what you did in the last generation shouldn't be spun as a good thing.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:

70+ million is a good number on its own, but Nintendo needs far more than that for it to the foundation of their business. Doing half of what you did in the last generation shouldn't be spun as a good thing.

Nothing is selling 150 million units this gen, I think even PS4 is going to struggle to hit 100 mill if it does ever. 

3DS will probably finish close to 80 mill. DS/Wii numbers are never happening again. 

Lets reverse it really ... I think Sony should give up on the Vita and support Nintendo's next handheld platform for the good of the industry. Or Microsoft should get in on helping Nintendo's handheld. They'd increase profits for their gaming division and help the industry that's being cannibalized by mobile. 

If Nintendo were to embrace mobile in a real way IMO it's effectively the end of the traditional Japanese game market as a whole. There will be nothing left. 

Any one in Nintendos management that believes going mobile will save the company needs to leave

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Soundwave said:
outlawauron said:
Soundwave said:

Nothing is selling 150 million units this gen, I think even PS4 is going to struggle to hit 100 mill if it does ever. 

3DS will probably finish close to 80 mill. DS/Wii numbers are never happening again. 

Lets reverse it really ... I think Sony should give up on the Vita and support Nintendo's next handheld platform for the good of the industry. Or Microsoft should get in on helping Nintendo's handheld. They'd increase profits for their gaming division and help the industry that's being cannibalized by mobile. 

If Nintendo were to embrace mobile in a real way IMO it's effectively the end of the traditional Japanese game market as a whole. There will be nothing left. 

Which is why people say that they should focus on the markets that are growing.

To underlined, why? Sony hardly ever supported the Vita (a platform whose success had a direct effect on their business), what makes you think they'd give meaningful support to platform they didn't own? If Sony stopped making a handheld, they'd stop making handheld games all together. Only focusing on mobile and console titles.

Also, mobile gaming and handhelds are in the same industry. Supporting the 3DS over mobile is supporting the dedicated handheld market, as they'd be able to make money on both sides.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.