By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony pulled a fast one on most of the gaming community including Microsoft

Landguy said:
The Fury said:
Little confused, I see no DRM here that would be in the same ball park as what you mention, DRM for digital downloads or streaming (the latter is content you never own) is not the same as a disc. A nice theory.

The disc is what Sony conceded on.  They knew that consumers and even their own systems weren't prepared to go all DRM all the time.  So, they went with the approrach that they were thinking of the consumer by not forcing DRM.  A great story and as it turns out, a GREAT sales pitch.  Meanwhile, they work slowly to ensure that there is no competition to their service on the dominant selling system.  By default, they have created DRM.  If 2/3 of the market is on your system and must go through your system only to get the content, then they have most of the control and the gamers and publishers have none or very little.

It was just a brilliant play on people emotions to have physical media.

Nice flawed logic. 2/3 of the market don't have to go through anything, they can just buy a disc and play to their heart's desire.

Also, PS is a closed system which by definition has no competition, as everything goes through PSN store anyway. Nobody is stopping EA, Ubi or Acti to deliver their service. They only need to find a willing medium to do it (seems like there is one).

And also, all of a sudden PS4 has 2/3 of the market. Nice to hear that, particularly after all those threads propagating a narrowing gap, being overtaken by XOne etc. Seems that June NPD report will be astonishing.

Buy more tin foil...

Around the Network

sony is saving us from evil ,microsoft ,EA, the 2 greedy corporation that had try control ,how i buy a game,with who i can trade,but the good thing they allow the pepple inside my house to play my library of games gggg ,, ea sell half finish games or selig the ending of its ggg lol

Landguy said:
The Fury said:
Little confused, I see no DRM here that would be in the same ball park as what you mention, DRM for digital downloads or streaming (the latter is content you never own) is not the same as a disc. A nice theory.

The disc is what Sony conceded on.  They knew that consumers and even their own systems weren't prepared to go all DRM all the time.  So, they went with the approrach that they were thinking of the consumer by not forcing DRM.  A great story and as it turns out, a GREAT sales pitch.  Meanwhile, they work slowly to ensure that there is no competition to their service on the dominant selling system.  By default, they have created DRM.  If 2/3 of the market is on your system and must go through your system only to get the content, then they have most of the control and the gamers and publishers have none or very little.

Conceded? No, it's the format of choice for consumers and still is. You know when iTunes started the music industry didn't just drop CDs? Still haven't now, vinyl is still an option even. iTunes has even dropped much of their restrictive DRM over the years. iTunes is just a market for music for their prefered devices (just like digital content on PS store) and I'm sure iTunes received a small commision for sales on their devices (just like Sony receiving a part of the same of games for their device). Digital content comes with DRM restrictions so people don't decide just to copy and paste that content to their 400,000 internet mates. This is standard over all formats.

It's hard to copy and paste a blu-ray.

Hmm, pie.

kitler53 said:
you dont' know what DRM is do you...

Exactly this. Totally clueless about DRM and the fact that DRM of the flavour that exists with buying digital games began on consoles in the 6th gen and it wasn't this type of DRM which caused a massive backlash against Xb one and cause the 180.

It is so frustrating when people use misinformation and disinformation because there might be people who actually think it's true.

Fact is Sony already has all the digital marketplace it wants on PS platforms with PSN, PSN+ and soon PS Now. EA access does literally add no value to PS. Whereas because Xb one isn't adopting the same model as Sony, EA access does present some value to Xbox. Unfortunately the value will be eroded when every publisher decidesnto do their own thing.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Puppyroach said:
I agree with the OP but mostly find it fascinating that this whole EA matter has become such a big thing.

MS fans have been, basically, shat on from out the gate of this generation. Sony finally made an alleged misstep. So MS fans are gonna take that, run with it as long as possible, and shout to the heavens as loud as possible to say "Hey! They got everything else right, but they screwed up on this one thing! That's clearly equal to all the other stuff we've gotten bashed for for the last 8 months, so we're gonna make you sure you know about it!"

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Puppyroach said:
I agree with the OP but mostly find it fascinating that this whole EA matter has become such a big thing.

MS fans have been, basically, shat on from out the gate of this generation. Sony finally made an alleged misstep. So MS fans are gonna take that, run with it as long as possible, and shout to the heavens as loud as possible to say "Hey! They got everything else right, but they screwed up on this one thing! That's clearly equal to all the other stuff we've gotten bashed for for the last 8 months, so we're gonna make you sure you know about it!"

I enjoy that you call it an alleged misstep.  That is exactly what it is, alleged.  Sony opted not to take the EA Access service because it conflicts with their own business interests.  Gamers don't like it because it removes an option for them without their own input (for the record, I am one who would like to have seen this service offered on PS4 as well).  Just because I want the service, doesn't mean I blindly believe Sony is arrogantly trying to screw me by not taking it on.

Sony makes roughly 15 dollars from every new game purchased yet developed by an external studio.
This EA program basically costs them many millions in lost console ownership fees and competes with their very own "rental service".
Secondly, I can imagine that things are pretty tense between EA and Sony. EA went balls deep for Microsoft and the xb1 and didn't mind letting everyone know. Now that Sony is in front, I bet there are a lot of awkward meetings going on between the two companies.

A company who sided with MS now wants to release a platform that competes with the playstation vision? I wouldn't want it on my best-selling console either.

kitler53 said:

DRM is not a lack of choice purchase options.  the word you are looking for is monopoly

See, now that makes sense. Sony is trying to get a monopoly and have control over it, means more money for them. Look at MS and Windows, it's oddly hard to get a new PC/laptop without Windows on it. :P

Hmm, pie.

Burek said:
Landguy said:
The Fury said:

Nice flawed logic. 2/3 of the market don't have to go through anything, they can just buy a disc and play to their heart's desire.

Also, PS is a closed system which by definition has no competition, as everything goes through PSN store anyway. Nobody is stopping EA, Ubi or Acti to deliver their service. They only need to find a willing medium to do it (seems like there is one).

And also, all of a sudden PS4 has 2/3 of the market. Nice to hear that, particularly after all those threads propagating a narrowing gap, being overtaken by XOne etc. Seems that June NPD report will be astonishing.

Buy more tin foil...

It's not 2/4 that can put the disc in and play, it's 100%.

The difference is when you go digital, what are your choices?  Like you said Sony is PSN and that is your only gateway.  The difference is determining who should get paid.  Under Sony/Apple's model, they are in complete control.  The epitomy of DRM.  I don't have a problem with it, but don't talk like it is something else when you stand on the stage and pitch that you are out there for the gamer.

It is near the end of the end....

If Sony allows EA to start this, other companies will follow.

Next thing you know we have 10 main publishers doing paid subs. Its not a good idea.
Imagine Capcom doing this for all Capcom games.

It would be the wild wild west.