By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony pulled a fast one on most of the gaming community including Microsoft

Landguy said:
Anfebious said:
Sony isn't the bad guy here. They saved us from DRM and gave us freedom of choice and on top of it... TLOU Remastered! They also gave us the most powerful console in history and made PS+ a mandatory service to play online. The only bad guy here is Microsoft.

Yes, Sony has saved us from the Evil Micro$oft!

For now anyway....

Sony has pretty much just said that if there is going to be a type of DRM on their system, they want full control of the pricing.  They don't want any competition to their services, as they will lose control.

This has nothing to do with anybodys ability to buy physical media.  All systems allow that.  Even M$'s original plan allowed that.

Anyone still believing that physical media is the future of Movies/Music/Video games/TV, is a fool.  Sony just blocked any chance that the consumer will have any say in how their content is delivered and what the market price for that content can be. 

5-7 years from now when you have established such a large library(see how itunes works) of content through the Playstations Store, you will have NO CHOICE but to stay with them if you don't want to lose it.  It won't be yours.  It's theirs, and you pay them monthly/yearly to continue to use it.

What happens when the PS5 comes out and it's like the XB1(below expectations power wise).  Sorry, your stuck with Sony now.  Whatever the competition is, won't matter because it is now cost prohibitive to matter.

thus the reason why all digital only will never really take hold.  as a gamer, i don't want to lose ownership of what I do own and bought with my own money.  The day Sony or MS pulls this shit is the day I'm done with gaming on their systems.  There is a reason why I can still play the majority of the games I've bought on the consoles I own, even years beyond them being out of the loop.  As for the content, DLCs, "free" games due to subscribing such plans.. those are given.. if it's not physical.. then i don't own it.. I never did, never will.  If I lose my stuff.. so be it.. i still have the core game at my own disposal.  can you imagine what it's going to look like when psn & xbl servers finally gets closed down for the ps3 & x360?  but but but.. no buts.  you knew what you were getting when you are going digital.  this is hardly the same as movies/music/tv/mobile gaming.. which your content can easily transfer from one device to the next, via hardware or cloud. 

Seems gamers like you are more and more willing to give up your gaming (or anything else for that matter) ownership as long as you get a a few games to play.  Well.. sorry bud.. the day those games are no longer available, then what?  you've gamed and paid through a whole console gen owning nothing.. you're walking away with nothing.  who the hell wants that?

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network
Landguy said:
Anfebious said:
Sony isn't the bad guy here. They saved us from DRM and gave us freedom of choice and on top of it... TLOU Remastered! They also gave us the most powerful console in history and made PS+ a mandatory service to play online. The only bad guy here is Microsoft.

Yes, Sony has saved us from the Evil Micro$oft!

For now anyway....

Sony has pretty much just said that if there is going to be a type of DRM on their system, they want full control of the pricing.  They don't want any competition to their services, as they will lose control.

This has nothing to do with anybodys ability to buy physical media.  All systems allow that.  Even M$'s original plan allowed that.

Anyone still believing that physical media is the future of Movies/Music/Video games/TV, is a fool.  Sony just blocked any chance that the consumer will have any say in how their content is delivered and what the market price for that content can be. 

5-7 years from now when you have established such a large library(see how itunes works) of content through the Playstations Store, you will have NO CHOICE but to stay with them if you don't want to lose it.  It won't be yours.  It's theirs, and you pay them monthly/yearly to continue to use it.

What happens when the PS5 comes out and it's like the XB1(below expectations power wise).  Sorry, your stuck with Sony now.  Whatever the competition is, won't matter because it is now cost prohibitive to matter.

@Bold: Yes and that will be at their own risk, just like they risked putting a $600 console out and we saw how that ended, just like MS taking a risk with their own DRM and we saw how that ended. Big time followers will still follow no matter what prices or services are available (they defended the $600 PS3 and others defended the first vision of MS with the Xbox One).  After the private beta of PS Now they are now entertaining a subscription service. The reason behind this might have to do with customers not getting fooled by their high priced rental. The way PS now is  as of today I don't see it working at all (assuming most people are not stupid). At the moment Sony is giving the impression that there are all for gamers but they have gained that reputation through some good work of their own and with a big help from MS

BS.

i give you a "theory". MS tries to get a hold of anything to get atop. but what might looks like a good deal, like an opportunity to get the customers sucked in - and i have no doubt some will - only diminishes the progress they made with GwG. if they had declin3d just like sony their service could have been on par with ps+ someday.

and no. its not sony who would ve get only a small portion of what EA makes with their service. its MS who cut a big chunk away making their service more expensive with having less value but also getting a share of EAs income. nothing else but profit maximization.

and yes, of course we re steering towards digital, having a look at the market would make it clear.

Hunting Season is done...