By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony pulled a fast one on most of the gaming community including Microsoft

Or... maybe they just realised that the EA service directly competes and devalues the PS + service.

Nice story though.

Around the Network

Well, Sony does obviously only what they think is the best for them and not what is the best for the customers.. They are a company looking for the most profitable moves after all.

When Sony thinks that customers want something really bad they call their move "for the customers" as long as Sony thinks that it will be also good for Sony.. If something good for the customers isn't good for Sony in their opinion, they will not do it.

It's pretty ironical to say that you don't want to give people the option of EA's Vault because it would cost them 5 bucks per month or 30 per year if you start just a few days after this EA reveal a beta of a service where people have to pay even more to play a few games for a month and the size of this library is totally irrelevant. It's important what you have to pay for a game on average and not on how many games you can throw your money at.

Would be obviously something else if you would have to pay 5 bucks for PS Now to play the whole library but this is simply not the case and since Sony wants their own services to succeed, they simply don't allow services which could stand in the way of them. People who would stream an EA game over PS Now could maybe stop doing it with EA's own service. That's why Sony "doesn't see value" in it. For them, not the customer...

So yeah, not a surprise that a company does what is good for this company. Just funny that some people really believe that a huge company doesn't only look after what is best for this company. 

SWORDF1SH said:
Landguy said:

It's not 2/4 that can put the disc in and play, it's 100%.

The difference is when you go digital, what are your choices?  Like you said Sony is PSN and that is your only gateway.  The difference is determining who should get paid.  Under Sony/Apple's model, they are in complete control.  The epitomy of DRM.  I don't have a problem with it, but don't talk like it is something else when you stand on the stage and pitch that you are out there for the gamer.

Not sure if I get your point? I'm not entirely sure what you heard Sony say to go on about DRM so much? Can you please explain/show us what you are referring to because I'm am lost.

Are you saying that Sony shouldn't have control of PSN and let people sell what they want and how they want?

Or are you trying to say that Sony monopolise their own system. If so in what way? I mean that they have all the publishers involved on PS Plus and PS Now and all the publishers are allowed to sell their games on the PS Store. What is the point you are trying to make?

Like i have said, I don't have any problem at all with them having complete control over this.  The problem is that they want complete control over the future as well.  PS Now is the real future of gaming.  Or some version of it is.  Under their format, it will be required to continue to have a PS+ membership in perpetuity to have access to your content.  Under a scenario like EA access, you would have access via the publisher.  It is an A La Carte system.  Buy what you want.  The publishers clearly see this too and they want to have their own portal to the revenue stream.  This has nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft as many here would think.  This has to do with who gets the $$$ and control long term. 

The point was, they have pitched that they are doing this for the gamer when they are really doing it for themselves. 

It is near the end of the end....

Nem said:
Or... maybe they just realised that the EA service directly competes and devalues the PS + service.

Nice story though.

Sure, it might somehow impact the PS+, but it has more to do with PS Now.  THey just don't want to have competition.

It is near the end of the end....

Neodegenerate said:
BMaker11 said:
Puppyroach said:
I agree with the OP but mostly find it fascinating that this whole EA matter has become such a big thing.

MS fans have been, basically, shat on from out the gate of this generation. Sony finally made an alleged misstep. So MS fans are gonna take that, run with it as long as possible, and shout to the heavens as loud as possible to say "Hey! They got everything else right, but they screwed up on this one thing! That's clearly equal to all the other stuff we've gotten bashed for for the last 8 months, so we're gonna make you sure you know about it!"

I enjoy that you call it an alleged misstep.  That is exactly what it is, alleged.  Sony opted not to take the EA Access service because it conflicts with their own business interests.  Gamers don't like it because it removes an option for them without their own input (for the record, I am one who would like to have seen this service offered on PS4 as well).  Just because I want the service, doesn't mean I blindly believe Sony is arrogantly trying to screw me by not taking it on.

Agree, and what if PS now becomes a subscription even better than EA access with good pricing?

I bet the fanboys will still complain and try to prove to us that this wasnt in our best interest. 

Around the Network
Landguy said:
Nem said:

Nice story though.

Sure, it might somehow impact the PS+, but it has more to do with PS Now.  THey just don't want to have competition.

Yep, and people defending this move is disgusting.

NiKKoM said:

I wonder what would happen if Spotify would like to launch on ps4 and Sony would say: We have music unlimited, Spotify doesn't represent good value for Playstation gamers..

Does Spotify own the music and content on their website? if no, then your analogy doesnt make any sense. 

overman1 said:

Agree, and what if PS now becomes a subscrition even better than EA access with good pricing?

I bet the fanboys will still complain and try to prove to us that this want in our best interest. 

What if? So what EA access is a different type of service. IS PSNow going to give you discounts on DLC and future games?

overman1 said:
NiKKoM said:

I wonder what would happen if Spotify would like to launch on ps4 and Sony would say: We have music unlimited, Spotify doesn't represent good value for Playstation gamers..

Does Spotify own the music and content on their website? if no, then your analogy doesnt make any sense. 

It makes perfect sense you're just splitting hairs.

Well, if the OP can't distinguish between PSnow and Microsoft's original plans with the XB1 than I am afraid this discussion is doomed.

Not to mention PSnow is in beta and prices are not set yet, kinda the point of a beta.