By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
gergroy said:
mornelithe said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gd0kGhIcF4

http://wpri.com/2015/01/21/could-the-weather-have-affected-the-patriots-footballs/

Yeah... Personally i think i am going to believe the meteorologists on this one over some random youtube guy... Who didnt even replicate the same situation... The weather was not to blame for this one...

Already answered the replication of the situation issue, it was also answered in the comments section of the video.  And feel free to believe whatever you want.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Patriots won't cheat in the Super Bowl.

Although now that they are getting bullied that hard, they are going to win the thing to prove all the naysayers wrong.

You mad, bro?

RolStoppable said:
gergroy said:
RolStoppable said:

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Patriots won't cheat in the Super Bowl.

Although now that they are getting bullied that hard, they are going to win the thing to prove all the naysayers wrong.

You mad, bro?

Somewhat, yeah. An Italy vs. France Super Bowl is a letdown.

So which one of the teams is France? Cus I'd like to know who I should put money on to lay down and wave the white flag 10 seconds into the game

We are probably due at least one or two more idiotic screwups from the NFL before the offseason really starts.

Blandino needs to be fired and then sued. Goodell is a joke too. This whole deflate-gate thing is more on the league than the Patriots tbh, just due to their incredible incompetence at all levels. The officiating is so absurdly bad this year that it makes the replacement refs look God-tier. And the fines that they levy are stupidly out of whack. Look at the fines they toss on Lynch for things like shoes, not wanting to talk to the press and so on vs the fines they put on people for illegal hits (when they even do anything at all).

First off, the fines for illegal hits and offenses that can result in severe injuries to players should be MASSIVELY increased. Not to mention that a 1st offense should be ejection from the game, and a 2nd offense a 3 game suspension, and any offense 3rd time and up = 1 year suspensions. All suspensions complete with forfeiture of their game checks (donate proceeds to a charity).

Arkaign said:
We are probably due at least one or two more idiotic screwups from the NFL before the offseason really starts.

Blandino needs to be fired and then sued. Goodell is a joke too. This whole deflate-gate thing is more on the league than the Patriots tbh, just due to their incredible incompetence at all levels. The officiating is so absurdly bad this year that it makes the replacement refs look God-tier. And the fines that they levy are stupidly out of whack. Look at the fines they toss on Lynch for things like shoes, not wanting to talk to the press and so on vs the fines they put on people for illegal hits (when they even do anything at all).

First off, the fines for illegal hits and offenses that can result in severe injuries to players should be MASSIVELY increased. Not to mention that a 1st offense should be ejection from the game, and a 2nd offense a 3 game suspension, and any offense 3rd time and up = 1 year suspensions. All suspensions complete with forfeiture of their game checks (donate proceeds to a charity).

Yes. Yes to everything you just said.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:

The player's association would never agree to this, so don't count on it.

^^ I do understand that the right thing to do isn't always possible due to so many lawyers ruling the world these days.

However, I do feel like it would improve the game. And we may see something similar to that effect once the final ramifications of the concussion situation reverberate through the league. Legal hits can still be brutally hard, but the 'lower your head' and drill someone with your helmet, or outright headhunting should be left in the past. It has seriously harmed way too many players for it to be brushed under the rug forever. And no, it's definitely impossible to make football a 'safe' sport, but a much cleaner league is still easily possible by making it a matter of $ and sense. You can bet that if it means losing at minimum 1/16th of their income for the year, that players would be hugely more prone to wrapping people up heads-up than drilling someone helmet to helmet with either cursory pantomiming of a tackle-like move, or often not even that. Same thing goes for launching at the knees of another player. Man up and tackle like a man instead of playing like a cheap piece of shit.

We need penalties for refs making bad calls and no calls as well. That Lions-Cowboys game should have had DPI AND holding called on Dallas, and facemask called on the receiver. The fact that they botched it that badly with the total flag pickup was an atrocity, and that's far from the only horrendous work by the refs this year. You can look at any single game and probably find several terrible missed calls or incorrect calls.

Arkaign said:
We need penalties for refs making bad calls and no calls as well. That Lions-Cowboys game should have had DPI AND holding called on Dallas, and facemask called on the receiver. The fact that they botched it that badly with the total flag pickup was an atrocity, and that's far from the only horrendous work by the refs this year. You can look at any single game and probably find several terrible missed calls or incorrect calls.

Precisely why I have a hard time believing any statement by the Refs or the NFL in this situation, while at the same time understanding the Patriots very well could've done something wrong.  I just don't see how you can look at this year, and the last several years and have more confidence in the truthfulness of NFL or Ref statements, versus that of the Patriots.  Let's be honest, when it comes to integrity, the NFL and the Refs have had more issues since Spygate than the Patriots.

Though, I should add for everyone here, if they do in fact show tampering that cannot be explained via natural causes, I fully support a punishment (though suspension, or firing, etc... is retarded).  I'd also support them revisiting the rule afterwards, tightening up the restrictions and the authentication process for the Refs, and whatever else to make it impossible for future tampering.  Frankly, I'm surprised they don't pick out the balls first, do their thing, then give them to the NFL/Refs, and they hold onto them until kickoff.  Just seems weird. 

Arkaign said:
^^ I do understand that the right thing to do isn't always possible due to so many lawyers ruling the world these days.

Wrong bogey man. The decisions of the Players' Association are made by the players themselves, not their attorneys. Which is why it's especially funny - and foolish- for them to take this position: the player may be the one penalized, which is what the union doesn't want, but he's penalized for hurting a fellow player!

amp316 said:
There hasn't been this much talk about balls since the AVNs.

LOL