By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
Angelus said:
mornelithe said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gd0kGhIcF4

Somehow I doubt that keeping a ball submerged in a consistent body of water is the same as playing with a ball in the rain. Especially when you consider that the offense is usually only out there a few minutes at a time and the balls are constantly exchanged, taken out, and covered up.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but the Colts' balls were fine weren't they?

You're right, it's not consistent.  Know why?  Because it would actually create more pressure inside the ball, ergo, the pressure would've dropped further had it just been in the rain. 

As far as the Colts balls, we've no numbers regarding them, other than the NFL backing it's refs (who also have no firm numbers pre-game for either the Patriots or the Colts, odd no, considering this was basically a sting to catch the Patriots in the act...and yet they didn't have the refs log the pressure in each ball, and didn't have video on the balls for the 2 hrs before the game?).  Can only scientifically test what we know, not what we don't know.  The Colts could've submitted over-pressurized balls, like Aaron Rodgers prefers to do.  Which would explain why at half-time, their balls were within regulation.

That video, on it's own, shows that weather, barometric pressure and rain could quite easily have brought balls inflated to the league minimum 12.5psi, down to the half-time pressure (The video starts at 13.5psi, however, the drop in pressure is roughly 2lbs/psi by the end of the test).  And here's another thing, we _know_ pressure changes w/ temperature.  How exactly did the Colts balls, NOT change?  Doesn't that go against what we know scientifically?

Around the Network

Fair enough. Either way the NFL continues to be absolutely incompetent when it comes to addressing controversies/issues that come up. Somehow I doubt we'll hear the end of this before the Super Bowl

Angelus said:
Fair enough. Either way the NFL continues to be absolutely incompetent when it comes to addressing controversies/issues that come up. Somehow I doubt we'll hear the end of this before the Super Bowl

That's the prevailing thought at this point.  The NFL either has the evidence, or they have NO evidence, and simply don't want to further take away from the upcoming SB which is huge for them.  Either way, they're going to come out looking worse than they already do.

I will say though, if you're the Patriots and you did nothing wrong.....why does Tom Brady come out in that conferences looking and sounding so incredibly guilty? I mean somehow I doubt even the biggest Patriots fan could tell me with a straight face that he didn't look like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar

Angelus said:
I will say though, if you're the Patriots and you did nothing wrong.....why does Tom Brady come out in that conferences looking and sounding so incredibly guilty? I mean somehow I doubt even the biggest Patriots fan could tell me with a straight face that he didn't look like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar

Well, I'm not a sociologist, and I'm not formally trained in being able to identify demeanor shifts etc... I 'listened' to the presser, didn't actually watch it though, so can't comment there.  From the 'sounds' of it, he answered all the questions asked of him, and may very well have been getting emotional (angry, upset etc...) throughout the interview, just because the reporters were being complete fucktards.  Like, that guy who asked him to look at the camera and apologize.  Seriously?  The fuck?  The NFL hasn't even formally charged the Patriots with anything, but he's supposed to apologize?

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Angelus said:

Well, I'm not a sociologist, and I'm not formally trained in being able to identify demeanor shifts etc... I 'listened' to the presser, didn't actually watch it though, so can't comment there.  From the 'sounds' of it, he answered all the questions asked of him, and may very well have been getting emotional (angry, upset etc...) throughout the interview, just because the reporters were being complete fucktards.  Like, that guy who asked him to look at the camera and apologize.  Seriously?  The fuck?  The NFL hasn't even formally charged the Patriots with anything, but he's supposed to apologize?

Ya I didn't watch all off it cus looking at the length of the vid alone I could tell it was likely inflated (no pun) with a bunch of worthless questions, but the first few minutes were quite telling.

Hell one of the first things they asked him was "are you a cheater?" And he goes "uhm....I don't believe I am."

I mean come on now. That's like when your girlfriend asks you if she's fat. You don't think about it or respond with "I don't think so." You just say no, plainly and no hesitation. 

Angelus said:
mornelithe said:

Ya I didn't watch all off it cus looking at the length of the vid alone I could tell it was likely inflated (no pun) with a bunch of worthless questions, but the first few minutes were quite telling.

Hell one of the first things they asked him was "are you a cheater?" And he goes "uhm....I don't believe I am."

I mean come on now. That's like when your girlfriend asks you if she's fat. You don't think about it or respond with "I don't think so." You just say no, plainly and no hesitation. 

Maybe, or maybe he's just taken aback at the accusation when even the NFL hasn't formally filed charges of cheating.  I mean, I personally would have returned that question with, "Are there any 'real' journalists in the audience who have a question based upon the facts currently presented by the NFL"?  Of course, I'm way more confrontational, and have zero respect for journalists in America these days.  But yeah, who knows what emotions were rolling through him at the time.  Hard to convict someone because you felt like their responses weren't as clear cut as you'd like.  But, I dunno, again, so much info that just isn't being revealed right now and it's only feeding the media frenzy.

The video does provide reasonable doubt at this point, so unless the NFL can come up with something to cast that into doubt, well, chalk it up to another investigation the NFL fucked up royally.

mornelithe said:

Maybe, or maybe he's just taken aback at the accusation when even the NFL hasn't formally filed charges of cheating.  I mean, I personally would have returned that question with, "Are there any 'real' journalists in the audience who have a question based upon the facts currently presented by the NFL"?  Of course, I'm way more confrontational, and have zero respect for journalists in America these days.  But yeah, who knows what emotions were rolling through him at the time.  Hard to convict someone because you felt like their responses weren't as clear cut as you'd like.  But, I dunno, again, so much info that just isn't being revealed right now and it's only feeding the media frenzy.

The video does provide reasonable doubt at this point, so unless the NFL can come up with something to cast that into doubt, well, chalk it up to another investigation the NFL fucked up royally.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying one can, or should, definitively accuse them of cheating cus Brady looked like he was tap dancing in an interview. Just saying if you're confident that you've done nothing wrong, you generally come out with better body language and well...confidence lol

Personally, at the end of the day all I really wanna see out of this at the end is that NFL tightens up their completely mindboggling rules in regards to the leeway given to teams in their handling of game balls. Who cares about every damn QB's perfect preferential on the state of the ball? Last time I checked the sport is called football, not namby-pamby-have-it-your-way-ball. Just get all the QBs in a room, have em give you a collective agreement on what the ball's specifications should be, and then that's what everybody gets, from the refs, at the start of every game, period end of discussion.

I didn't even know the NFL had this kind of backwards ass system until "deflate gate"

Angelus said:

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying one can, or should, definitively accuse them of cheating cus Brady looked like he was tap dancing in an interview. Just saying if you're confident that you've done nothing wrong, you generally come out with better body language and well...confidence lol

Personally, at the end of the day all I really wanna see out of this at the end is that NFL tightens up their completely mindboggling rules in regards to the leeway given to teams in their handling of game balls. Who cares about every damn QB's perfect preferential on the state of the ball? Last time I checked the sport is called football, not namby-pamby-have-it-your-way-ball. Just get all the QBs in a room, have em give you a collective agreement on what the ball's specifications should be, and then that's what everybody gets, from the refs, at the start of every game, period end of discussion.

I didn't even know the NFL had this kind of backwards ass system until "deflate gate"

The problem with them tamping down on what QB's do to their own balls, and something I imagine places the NFL in a sticky situation is it's counter to where they've been taking the league, ala, more aerial/offensive/more points.  So, I'm not sure that would ever happen, nevermind that as statements from former QB's can attest to, QB's have been doing this even before Brady/Manning lobbied the NFL to allow teams to bring their own balls.  I mean, is the league really going to start coming down on their golden boys?  Dunno, the way I see this playing out, is in the very least Refs will be required to fill out logs w/ ball pressures which will be checked against post-game pressures etc...  And maybe the balls will be filled in a more controlled environment, ergo, not a 90-100 degree room or something.

mornelithe said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gd0kGhIcF4

http://wpri.com/2015/01/21/could-the-weather-have-affected-the-patriots-footballs/

Yeah... Personally i think i am going to believe the meteorologists on this one over some random youtube guy... Who didnt even replicate the same situation... The weather was not to blame for this one...