By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 going the wrong direction?

DonFerrari said:
DarkD said:
overman1 said:

If sony is dead, then I definitely dont know "the state" MS or Nintendo is in right now. lol

Fans are making up the slack? how exactly? by buying their console? 

isnt that the only way fan can vote for their prefered console?

sounds like you are very bitter....and I see you on a lot of Sony-hate thread....

Sony isn't dead, it's on life support.  Even now analysts still think its 50-50 that Sony just up and declares bankruptcy or sells everything in the next couple of years.  That atmosphere is bad for the consumer.  It's better to just let it go at that point.    

I'm bitter because I have to deal with bad and redundant arguments for this stuff.  For starters, everything you asked about, you should be able to answer yourself from the previous posts.

Please explain how a company on life support beat 2 giant and really health company anyway... and as far as I remember Sony made good use of all the money I invested in my PS3 giving me several games to play, from mine 130 games at least half is published by them.

Bad question is bad....  Should be one of the most well known facts in the gaming industry.  You know when Sony did the "We aren't gonna have DRM" thing.  Then people showered their presentation with praise even though otherwise the presentation didn't have many games to show at all.  People instantly villianized Microsoft at that moment.  

Nintendo was dead from the get-go..  Making the Wii the winner of the last console generation had already soured much of Nintendo's reputation.  They didn't stand a chance no matter what they released.  They're gaining back some traction now that Sony and Microsoft are tripping up all over the place.  

Around the Network
DarkD said:
DonFerrari said:
DarkD said:

Sony isn't dead, it's on life support.  Even now analysts still think its 50-50 that Sony just up and declares bankruptcy or sells everything in the next couple of years.  That atmosphere is bad for the consumer.  It's better to just let it go at that point.    

I'm bitter because I have to deal with bad and redundant arguments for this stuff.  For starters, everything you asked about, you should be able to answer yourself from the previous posts.

Please explain how a company on life support beat 2 giant and really health company anyway... and as far as I remember Sony made good use of all the money I invested in my PS3 giving me several games to play, from mine 130 games at least half is published by them.

Bad question is bad....  Should be one of the most well known facts in the gaming industry.  You know when Sony did the "We aren't gonna have DRM" thing.  Then people showered their presentation with praise even though otherwise the presentation didn't have many games to show at all.  People instantly villianized Microsoft at that moment.  

Nintendo was dead from the get-go..  Making the Wii the winner of the last console generation had already soured much of Nintendo's reputation.  They didn't stand a chance no matter what they released.  They're gaining back some traction now that Sony and Microsoft are tripping up all over the place.  

thx I have my answer... you don't have any idea what you are talking about... Sony in life support put more exclusives, get more third support, dev a stronger system with cheaper price/flop, than others. but your answer is that we should instead support the company that wanted to rip us, and that nintendo flopped because it got sucessfull the last gen... So maybe that is the brilliant conclusion why PS3 flopped, people hated it because PS2 was sucessfull... and I already posted a thread on why WiiU got a rise in sales and it was a consensus that it have to do with MK8 getting attention not ps4/x1 flumbing (as both also got increased sales when WiiU rose).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DarkD said:

You mean when they released a year before the competition. They kinda fucked it up themselves.

Oh and btw, a little advice, you should stop while your behind, your story is falling apart at the seams.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DarkD said:

You mean when they released a year before the competition. They kinda fucked it up themselves.

Oh and btw, a little advice, you should stop while your behind, your story is falling apart at the seams.

Stoping while behind is said as cutting the lose while you still have some chips or that you like to do from behind? (no disrespect meant).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

thx I have my answer... you don't have any idea what you are talking about... Sony in life support put more exclusives, get more third support, dev a stronger system with cheaper price/flop, than others. but your answer is that we should instead support the company that wanted to rip us, and that nintendo flopped because it got sucessfull the last gen... So maybe that is the brilliant conclusion why PS3 flopped, people hated it because PS2 was sucessfull... and I already posted a thread on why WiiU got a rise in sales and it was a consensus that it have to do with MK8 getting attention not ps4/x1 flumbing (as both also got increased sales when WiiU rose).

Yes Mario Kart 8 was the thing that triggered it, but it wouldn't be holding if Sony and Microsoft weren't fumbling the ball.  

Yes I agree that Microsoft tried to screw us over with DRM, however I'm not convinced that Sony wasn't planning to as well.  There's a lot of people who have said that Sony was initially going to put DRM in their console, but pulled out at the last second after seeing the reaction Microsoft got from it.  There's only third party quotes on that, so evidence doesn't really exist, however I seriously doubt Sony is innocent in this.  

As far as Kinect goes, Sony is just as guilty as Microsoft, the only difference is that Sony "Move" was a straight up copy of the Wii remote so no one bought it.  I would hardly say that Microsoft was any greater of a villian than Sony in those instances.  

Around the Network

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft were waiting for Nintendo to go first.  Sony had the famous 10-year plan.  If anything analysts say that Nintendo should have released much earlier.  So you're point is kinda a dud from the get-go.

DarkD said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes Mario Kart 8 was the thing that triggered it, but it wouldn't be holding if Sony and Microsoft weren't fumbling the ball.  

Yes I agree that Microsoft tried to screw us over with DRM, however I'm not convinced that Sony wasn't planning to as well.  There's a lot of people who have said that Sony was initially going to put DRM in their console, but pulled out at the last second after seeing Microsoft's reaction.  There's only third party quotes on that, so evidence doesn't really exist, however I seriously doubt Sony is innocent in this.  

As far as Kinect goes, Sony is just as guilty as Microsoft, the only difference is that Sony "Move" was a straight up copy of the Wii remote so no one bought it.  I would hardly say that Microsoft was any greater of a villian than Sony in those instances.  

If it is because of Sony and Ms fumbles why have they also got a risen in their sales?

We had unthrustyworthy rumours throw after MS got exposed, I wouldn't put any weigth on it. On the february reveal they already had said "DRM is up to the publisher" when asked about DRM pratices... and we got the proof that it was baseless rumour when MS had to put a day one patch for it but you could play your PS4 without a day 1 patch. And in any law system you are innocent until proven otherwise so I can't think of a reason for you to try and frame Sony besides not liking them, and your posts here prove that.

I haven't said anything about Kinect. But Move is as much a copy of WiiMote as Kinect is from Eyetoy. Not that it is important.

DarkD said:
Zanten said:

And I pointed out that when Microsoft WAS on top in the U.S. with the 360, their 'Giving Back' involved focusing all their love on the Kinect 1 games to try and get you to buy THAT too, and spending zilch effort on new IPs or innovative titles that weren't Forza/Halo/Gears/Fable, unless you want to count a few PC ports. And this was for over three years. If Sony's a dead horse, Microsoft's a lazy one with a Scrooge hat firmly in place. O.o Sure, one might try to make the argument that 'Things will be different this generation!', they could even argue that if Microsoft is finally done chasing the Kinect dream they might not sink money into making games for it anymore, but the fact remains, it's still something Microsoft actually needs to prove.

History just doesn't back them up as 'delivering' when it comes to exclusive content, because when they were on top, they treaded water, which really hasn't helped them maintain an image as a publisher interested in new and exciting properties.

Finally a good counter argument....  You have a very good point.  

However I am of the opinion that supporting Sony would do more harm than good in that category.  

Based on...? You have to give me something, man, I have figures and everything to back up my point in case you disagreeeed! T__T

Anyway, I'll toss out some of my own reasonings to go with this. It IS pretty long, but I like to be thorough. x3 I'll split it into sections, in case for whatever reason you're finished reading a particular point partway through.

EDIT: The lines splitting the sections won't display. >< STARS IT IS!

Microsoft's pattern thus far with the Xbox One, largely, seems to contracting third-party developers to release exclusive titles, as their own Internal studios, lately anyway, don't seem nearly as robust as Sony's, and frankly seem to focus mostly on the aforementioned 'Sure-Sellers.' Ryse was Crysis, Sunset Overdrive by Insomiac, Remedy for Quantum Break, Respawn for Titanfall, etc. Platinum is doing that dragon-thingy game (name escapes me, too lazy to Google.) This could, again, change, but that is still something Microsoft needs to prove over the long haul, as their prior history does not support the idea of using their core studios to really 'branch out.'

(This might come across as snide, but I'm actually curious, what titles ARE Microsoft's internal studios confirmed to be working on that are new IPs? I thiiiink Project Spark is one, but not even super sure on that front.)

Either side of working with third party studios provides risks and costs- in the case of 'buying' an exclusive, the cost will rise dramatically the more units are being 'Locked Out' by the exclusivity deal, which might explain why Microsoft didn't bite the bullet and push for Titanfall to be a true-blue Xbox One exclusive, keeping it off PC and 360, which would have cost them LOTS more. (And though Microsoft is, yes, obscenely wealthy, they did get that way in part by NOT flinging money left and right, meaning while there is almost no limit to what they COULD spend, there is no doubt a very concrete limit as to what they WILL spend.) In the case of contracting a third party developer, if you do not own the IP, (and I don't believe Microsoft owns the Sunset Overdrive IP, but I don't know about the rest,) it makes it far easier for said developer to go multiplatform down the road, with their bigger, better sequel.

Just look at the situation with Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, etc, etc. They might have been on Playstation consoles exclusively for a long time, but they were never owned by Sony, so there was nothing to keep them from going multiplat when their publishers saw the value of it. The more exclusives Microsoft contributes to that they can't lock down, the more likely these successful and established franchises will do what Bioshock and Mass Effect did; release, become super successful, and then go to Playstation next. Because, if nothing is legally stopping you from doubling your available market, or more... well, why wouldn't you?

Finally, in addition to the aforementioned laziness-on-the-exclusives front, Microsoft does have a reputation of having their exclusives have an asterix beside it, the kind that leads to a footnote saying 'Also On PC,' more frequently than Sony's. Even core franchises haven't been unaffected, as Fable 3 is also available on PC. Granted, this could in part have been because the PS3 was probably a NIGHTMARE to port from, (god knows it was a nightmare to port to) but right now, a PC gamer who knows this might look at both platforms and figure; 'Well, chances are I'll be missing out on more stuff if I get an Xbox One, cause I'll probably get to play a fair number of their exclusive stuff on PC anyway.'

Whether it turns out to be correct or not, at the moment it's simply pattern recognition. It's another bad habit Microsoft made last generation that they need to break this one.

Please note, this is all subject to change. Heck, Sony could grow mustache-twiddling evil when they get back on top, go nuts porting their exclusives, while Microsoft becomes the bastion of keeping their titles on their platform. (Granted, the latter seems... unlikely...) But it's stuff that would need to change, and change far more dramatically than it currently has, to really sway public opinion. And even if Sony does go to evil ways if they 'win,' there's literally no reason right now to think Microsoft won't as well, because they didn't seem terribly altruistic the last time they were winning. We need to get a bit further past the honeymoon period to really confirm either way.

Sony has been very slow to improve the platform, I agree. But it's probably for the same reason that Microsoft was glacier-slow to improve the negative policies of the Xbox 360; because right now, they don't feel the fire under their feet. xP

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

DarkD said:
overman1 said:

If sony is dead, then I definitely dont know "the state" MS or Nintendo is in right now. lol

Fans are making up the slack? how exactly? by buying their console? 

isnt that the only way fan can vote for their prefered console?

sounds like you are very bitter....and I see you on a lot of Sony-hate thread....

Dude Sony primary money source is insurance. you know that, right?

Sony movies? Sony TVs which still get them profit?

Dude, calm the hell down with all these "woe is Sony" stories. sheesh.

If the atmosphere is so bad, regardless the true is still he same: Sony is crushing MS in console sales whether you like it or not. By your logic the only way MS can beat Sony is if they were completely out of the picture . The Xbox 360 is losing to the PS3 even after a very strong headstart. The Xbox one is so far behind, the battle is between it and the Wii U now. Th PS4 is too much out of its league. MS NEVER  beat Sony in any generation, if Sony's Playstation ever goes out of picture today. they will alway have that over MS Xbox console. the Xbox never stood a chance, even when they are dealt a perfect hand.

So the only way  Ms can ever get ahead is if Sony goes bankrupt....which sorry wouldnt be happening soon, regardless of how much fanboys wish. 

DarkD said:

Yes I agree that Microsoft tried to screw us over with DRM, however I'm not convinced that Sony wasn't planning to as well.  There's a lot of people who have said that Sony was initially going to put DRM in their console, but pulled out at the last second after seeing the reaction Microsoft got from it.  There's only third party quotes on that, so evidence doesn't really exist, however I seriously doubt Sony is innocent in this.  

Get your story straight. You are the one that said that Nintendo would fumble out of the gate regardless. But they had an entire year to not fix the problem, by themselves as the only 8 gen console. That's can only be Nintendo's fault.

As for the immature copying thing, fyi there is no such thing as copy, its a common practice in electronics and buisness to apply the succesful techniques of your competitors, if we entertain this childish notion, the Move was for the PS3, they didn't make it mandatory for the PS4 so its nothing like what MS did with the Kinect 2.0.

And this whole Villian thing, is completely ludicrous. These are entertainment companies, specifically PS, Xbox, and Nintendo, not Sony or MS technically. In terms of morality, the extent to which they go is anti-consumer, which suxs but isn't as "evil" as other things consider so. Also these practices are universal to all of the Big 3, if you want to be impartial then you recognize that its all buisness, but if you want to ally yourself to companies that don't even know you exist, by all means go ahead. Just don't drag the rest of us with you on the trip down.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank