By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Won't Explain What's Up With PS1/PS2 Games On PlayStation Now

I'm almost sure that sony said that they will follow the software emulation route with PS1 and 2.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
But seriously, does anyone understand why those companies don't just make all/most of their older games (in the PS4s case: PS,PS2,PSP) available digital from the start? I mean how hard can that be, wasn't there even that incident with the Vita where suddenly all PS and PSP games became available digitally? I think it would have been such a big plus if the complete PS,PS2 and PSP library or at least the best games from those systems would have been available on the PS4 at launch.

What's stopping them? Especially if the game is already available digitally on the PS3.

Because emulation for digital reissues like VC and PS1 games on PS3 is done on a game by game basis. It's not like PC where you can download an emulator and any game will work with it. The PS3 could play any PS1 game but the PS4 can't without an emulation solution. The PS4 also isn't BC with the PS3 so releasing PS1/PS2 games on PS4 without rewriting them like you suggest wouldnt work. 

IkePoR said:
Tamron said:
its because theyre working on software emulation, brainiacs.

Do you have to be rude every time you post?

Calling someone nobody in particular a brianiac is rude? :P

IamAwsome said:
DerNebel said:
But seriously, does anyone understand why those companies don't just make all/most of their older games (in the PS4s case: PS,PS2,PSP) available digital from the start? I mean how hard can that be, wasn't there even that incident with the Vita where suddenly all PS and PSP games became available digitally? I think it would have been such a big plus if the complete PS,PS2 and PSP library or at least the best games from those systems would have been available on the PS4 at launch.

What's stopping them? Especially if the game is already available digitally on the PS3.

Because emulation for digital reissues like VC and PS1 games on PS3 is done on a game by game basis. It's not like PC where you can download an emulator and any game will work with it. The PS3 could play any PS1 game but the PS4 can't without an emulation solution. The PS4 also isn't BC with the PS3 so releasing PS1/PS2 games on PS4 without rewriting them like you suggest wouldnt work. 

Ah geez. They should have thought about that stuff earlier then, I mean seriously at least a PS1 emulator should run on a PS4 easy-peasy and a PS2 emulator probably as well.

Zoombael said:
AZWification said:

Again... Don't you just FUCKING LOVE Sony sometimes?! -_-

How about FUCKING patience.

OK, then! I will be here FUCKING waiting!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

i'm outraged that an open beta is not a completed product and feel justified in making a uninformed assumption that the service can never be improved upon from its initial launch.

hinch said:
phaedruss said:
It's not worth the bandwidth, just do software emulation of PS1 and PS2 games and then sell them like on the ps3. Of course, games would have to cross over and hopefully this would mean you could use PS1 and PS2 discs as well.

Yep. Also from a business standpoint, old PS2 games won't get people interested in buying new content for PS4. And I don't see much demand for it anyway; at least for people who are interested in the service.

Also, wasn't Sony rumoured to be working on PS1/PS2 emulation?

Yea they were, it could be true, but it doesn't seem like we'll hear about it any time soon if it was true.

Zoombael said:
AZWification said:

Again... Don't you just FUCKING LOVE Sony sometimes?! -_-

How about FUCKING patience.

Don't you even dare shout "paitence" with the joke of a track record Sony has when it comes to announced features.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

DerNebel said:
IamAwsome said:
DerNebel said:

Ah geez. They should have thought about that stuff earlier then, I mean seriously at least a PS1 emulator should run on a PS4 easy-peasy and a PS2 emulator probably as well.

PS4? There were PS2 emulators on PS3 that ran through Linux. Power isn't a problem. The actual availability of an emulator/games unfortunately is, and if somebody tried to homebrew an emulator for PS4, Sony would hunt them down with lawyers and cops. We'll just have to wait on an official word from Sony. 

IamAwsome said:
DerNebel said:

PS3 runs PS1 discs just fine and I believe it's through software emulation.