By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Won't Explain What's Up With PS1/PS2 Games On PlayStation Now

IamAwsome said:
DerNebel said:

Ah geez. They should have thought about that stuff earlier then, I mean seriously at least a PS1 emulator should run on a PS4 easy-peasy and a PS2 emulator probably as well.

PS4? There were PS2 emulators on PS3 that ran through Linux. Power isn't a problem. The actual availability of an emulator/games unfortunately is, and if somebody tried to homebrew an emulator for PS4, Sony would hunt them down with lawyers and cops. We'll just have to wait on an official word from Sony. 

Yeah and that's the thing, I'll go out on a limb here and say that Sony could probably whip out a PS2 and PS1 emulator for the PS4 in a month (and if they don't want people to play their old PS1/PS2 CDS/DVDs then they could surely make it digital only or something), if they wanted to but they rather take their time, annoying.

Around the Network

They are probably going to do some HD collections of the fan favorites, and then throw everything else into Playstation Now, it wouldn't be that surprising, to say the true.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Maybe, they plan on giving the old games an upgrade on PS4 and charge $50-$60??

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Aww that sucks.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

KylieDog said:
PS4 should be backwards compatible with them, more than capable. Sod streaming them.

Agreed :/ It's no like they need built in hardware emulation. The PS4's own hardware should have no issue software emulating all PS1/PS2 titles. They could probably up-scale most PS2 titles to 720p before seeing any notable stability issues.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
KylieDog said:
PS4 should be backwards compatible with them, more than capable. Sod streaming them.

Agreed :/ It's no like they need built in hardware emulation. The PS4's own hardware should have no issue software emulating all PS1/PS2 titles. They could probably up-scale most PS2 titles to 720p before seeing any notable stability issues.

From what i heard PS4 doesn't read CD's? Or is that music playback only?

PS1+2 are... Retro?

AnthonyW86 said:
Zekkyou said:
KylieDog said:

From what i heard PS4 doesn't read CD's? Or is that music playback only?

The PS4's Blu-Ray drive does supper CDs, but i don't know if they've added support for it (and MP3s) yet. That's a software issue though, not hardware.

Anyway, it's digital content i expect most would be interested in. Being able to purchase any PS1/PS2 title for the PS4 would be pretty cool (if priced reasonably of course).

Id love some on board emulation of PS2/PS1 games AND throw them into PSNow. Play the games you own, buy the games you dont. Why not?

For Beta though, it makes sense to limit it to PS3. Those games will have the highest requirements (both by the gamer and by the infrastructure). Best way to get some real load testing. People will complain a lot less about lag in a game that they arent sure if its the game or the infrastructure causing the slowdowns.

They are rumoured to be working on HD emulation for PSOne and PS2 games. Plus they can always add backwards compatibility for them.

http://kh13.com/, for everything Kingdom Hearts.