By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

sundin13 said:
vivster said:

I've watched all SHAFT animes and they're my favorite studio, so I know what they love to employ and why I love them. Be it sarcastic or otherwise. Hidamari Sketch isn't even their pinnacle of moe. Denpa Onna, Nisekoi, that Negima remake, hell, Moon Phase is pretty much about a girl being moe.

And they do love their fan service. And that's not because they're being ironic or trying to invert some trops. They use it because it fits and belongs to the style. Even something as old as Natsu no Arashi isn't spared of it. Of course it's only one facette of Shinbo's style but it's there.

I will leave you with this.

Yeah, SHAFT uses a lot of fanservice and some moe (certainly not enough to call them a moe studio), but more often than not, there is much more going on in their shows, from the experimental visual styles to the in depth themes (Monogatari) or the dark humor (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei) and whatnot. That is why they are so loved by the type of person who needs more than just cute things to enjoy an anime. That is why I personally love so much of what SHAFT does (although, I didn't like Denpa Onna...)

I think the problem here is that some people equate moe with "shallow" or "dumb" when it's just a simple concept that has nothing to do witzh those. It only gets a lot employed by bad directors who don't know what to do else. What even is a "moe studio"?

They use and embrace it. In all of their animes. Hell, even  Mekaku City Actors is full of it.

Denpa Onna is as much part of Shinbo's work as is Monogatari. If you only enjoy selective works of a company I don't think you can say that you enjoy a whole studio. Or in this case director.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

I think the problem here is that some people equate moe with "shallow" or "dumb" when it's just a simple concept that has nothing to do witzh those. It only gets a lot employed by bad directors who don't know what to do else. What even is a "moe studio"?

They use and embrace it. In all of their animes. Hell, even  Mekaku City Actors is full of it.

Denpa Onna is as much part of Shinbo's work as is Monogatari. If you only enjoy selective works of a company I don't think you can say that you enjoy a whole studio. Or in this case director.

Well the moe genre pretty much is shallow and dumb. A show doesn't typically get classified as moe if it has more going on, but technically that isn't what the word means, just the connotation it carries with it (kind of like how just because a game has RPG elements, doesn't mean it can be called an RPG if it has a lot of non-RPG stuff going on...it just becomes a part of the game instead of its defining characteristic). I would be curious to hear exactly how you are defining moe though...

Also, a "moe studio" is a studio that primarily works with moe shows like Kyoto Animation. While they do have a few non-moe shows, those seem to be the exception to the rule (but perhaps I'm being a tad unfair...)

Finally, I think the logic on your last section is flawed. I love Nintendo, but I really don't like Super Paper Mario (as an example)...does that mean I'm not allowed to say I like Nintendo? I like a lot of what SHAFT does, and I think that without SHAFT's touches I would have liked Denpa Onna even less, but that doesn't mean I like everything they do. They sometimes just work with material that isn't very great (at this point, you also have to remember that just because SHAFT "makes" an anime, that doesn't mean it belongs to them. Sometimes they work with material that isn't too great, and with most anime, the show is based on a LN or Manga as opposed to being original...)

Basically, my point was originally that categorizing SHAFT as one thing was unfair, which it seems like we both agree with. I think we can both agree that SHAFT is great at what they do and they don't just do one thing.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Nisekoi, Denpa Onna, Moon Phase.

I rest my case.

It's not Shaft, that those people like. It's the pretentiousness and artsy style they use in some, but not all of their animes. Show them 5 minutes of Denpa Onna and they'll run back to their Code Geass and Death Notes.

Shinbo is a master of both and doesn't cater to a single group. He actually only caters to himself and he loves him some moe as well as artsy "deep" stuff.

WOOOOO! Death Note is awesome!

I loved Death Note too until L died.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

I loved Death Note too until L died.

Thats pretty much how I felt too. Well kinda... Death Note's first half was great, but the second half...not so much.

Light is smarter than L

Around the Network
vivster said:

BTW anyone looking for unspecific recommendation please check out this poster. I watched a good chunk of it and each and every anime on that poster can be recommended without reservations.

It helped me to find a bunch of great classics when I first started watching anime.

(rightclick and open to see it bigger)  

thats a great list! (im happy that i have watched most of it), but it could use some updates like Kill la Kill or Shingeki no Kyojin.

Mystro-Sama said:

Light is smarter than L

Mystro-Sama said:

Light is smarter than L

L eats bananas better than Light ever could, so your argument is invalid.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Light is smarter than L

L eats bananas better than Light ever could, so your argument is invalid.

Apparantly you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

This week's Tokyo Ghoul: