By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY Q1 FY 2014 results: 3.5m PS3+PS4, 0.75m PSP+PSV+PSVTV. $265m net profit.

kowenicki said:
colafitte said:
Regarding the mobile discussion. Sony had very little to win and a lot to lose in the TV department a few years back. The persistance in the TV business was more a thing of ego from Sony than anything else.

But with Mobile I think it's the opposite. They have little to lose but they have a lot, i mean A LOT to win if they, miraculously start competing with Samsung or Apple (In my opinion, this will never happen but who knows....).

Xperias are very good mobiles but they lack charisma. People who buys a Samsung and is very satisfied with it, don't see any reason to change to the competition. Sony must start focusing on software rather than hardware in the mobile sector. Find something that becomes "the next big thing" and not something that is slightly better than the rest.....

They need to compete with Lenovo, LG, Huawai and soon to be more telling... Xiaomi first.

All of these grew their sales and will pull away from Sony further this year.   Chinese manufacturers are going to do some serious damage in this sector in the next few years.

Absolutely agree in everything you said, but I think they must still try in my opinion....It won't be the first time something comes from nowhere and changes the scenario of something you  once thought was impossible to change. But like you said, Xiaomi is best placed than Sony (by far...) to reach that 3rd place....

Around the Network
Vena said:
Angelv577 said:
So this is the first time Sony is making a profit after a very long time without the need to sell some building?

Only for the quarter, they will still be making a less on the year.

No, no. We all know that Sony won't be making money after this quarter. ;)

well joking aside, it always seems that way anyway. :/

kowenicki said:
Conina said:
85 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to Sony (retail + digital)
26.2 million software sales (PS3 + PS4 + PSP + Vita) according to VGC (only retail)

Digital vs. Retail 2:1 or retail sales undertracked?

No.

85bn yen in sales.  For software it isn't units, its value.

so about $825m. 

Oh thanks, didn't see that! So they switched from units to Yen it when they included digital sales for FY12:

FY 2012 were 182.7 million software units (only retail) and 276 billion Yen (retail + digital sales for sure, PS+ subscriptions too?).

If average prices and the digital:retail-ratio stayed the same, 85 billion Yen could be around 56 million retail units... but probably much less because digital gains popularity (and PS+ subscriptions are probably included).

tbone51 said:

PSTV nowhere close to 100k, more like 15k Shipped, you can add those numbers to psp/psv :0

tbone51 said:

7mil for end of March, so my guess 9mil-9.5mil while ps3 increased by 1mil-1.5mil this quarter

You seem to make some good observations and then some terrible ones, Tbone :P

I agree with you about Vita TV.  It's only sold 130k LTD in Japan.  No way it shipped 100k for the quarter.

I disagree about PS3 being 1-1.5m for the quarter.  It was 1.1m for the same quarter last year.  You're saying it's basically flat or even up 400k?  No chance!

The Chinese smartphones manufacturers are doing incredible ( Huawei and Lenovo ), Samsung is down year over year.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

Indeed, it's just half of them

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-taiwan-lcd-tv-panels-half-20101207950.htm

I'll stick with my Panasonic Viera anyway ^_^

Either way, PS4 numbers are very impressive considering the thing hasn't had much in the way of exclusive system sellers yet. Does make you wonder if exclusives are as key as some people thing.

got any more 4 year old links for us?

Kresnik said:
tbone51 said:

PSTV nowhere close to 100k, more like 15k Shipped, you can add those numbers to psp/psv :0

tbone51 said:

7mil for end of March, so my guess 9mil-9.5mil while ps3 increased by 1mil-1.5mil this quarter

You seem to make some good observations and then some terrible ones, Tbone :P

I agree with you about Vita TV.  It's only sold 130k LTD in Japan.  No way it shipped 100k for the quarter.

I disagree about PS3 being 1-1.5m for the quarter.  It was 1.1m for the same quarter last year.  You're saying it's basically flat or even up 400k?  No chance!

lol, yeah ps3 definitely under 1mil my bad!

Could be anywhere between 400k-900k. Dunno though where, wish companies stop putting numbers together >_>

tiffac said:

Predictions have them at in the red again on the year, largely due to all the restructuring going on internally.

VXIII said:

The Chinese smartphones manufacturers are doing incredible ( Huawei and Lenovo ), Samsung is down year over year.

Would love to see the breakdown of "Others" do you know if that info is available?

I know that Sony is doing particularly well in Europe when it comes to mobile.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Vena said:
tiffac said:

Predictions have them at in the red again on the year, largely due to all the restructuring going on internally.

Yeah and I think the restructuring goes all the way to early 2016 too.