By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Just watched my first Blu-Ray movie!

DragonLord said:
Lol...I agree completely. I get annoyed by people that have NEVER seen a blu-ray hooked up to a 1080p tv with HDMI cables--and try to say, it's not much of a difference from their upscaling dvd player. They are flat out wrong, lying, or have poor eye sight. Blu-ray offers a huge advantage in quality once hooked up properly to the right tv with the 7.1 uncompressed audio--HUGE!

I was one of the people with an upscaling dvd player before I got a blu-ray player. I didn't think there would be much of a quality difference either. I swallow my uninformed opinion because I was completely wrong. I now am replacing all my dvd's with blu-rays--and sell the old dvd for $4 or so on ebay once I do replace it.

I wouldn't go as far to say I will replace most, or even that many, of my DVD's with Blu-Rays, but I know exactly how you feel.  I need to get a good TV first once I get a place of my own.  We have an old ass 1080i TV in our place now.  At least it is 50+ inches.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

yes bluray is fantastic

when i watched it first i was like hey this looks really decent, but its only when you try a normal dvd that it really hits you.

i usually set my bravia 32" to 1080i to watcha  bluray, and the films look ace especially ghost rider which looks phenomanal

looking forward to

:bource conspirocy trilogy

:indiana jones trilogy

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

DragonLord said:
Lol...I agree completely. I get annoyed by people that have NEVER seen a blu-ray hooked up to a 1080p tv with HDMI cables--and try to say, it's not much of a difference from their upscaling dvd player. They are flat out wrong, lying, or have poor eye sight. Blu-ray offers a huge advantage in quality once hooked up properly to the right tv with the 7.1 uncompressed audio--HUGE!

I was one of the people with an upscaling dvd player before I got a blu-ray player. I didn't think there would be much of a quality difference either. I swallow my uninformed opinion because I was completely wrong. I now am replacing all my dvd's with blu-rays--and sell the old dvd for $4 or so on ebay once I do replace it.

My mom is a big Spiderman fan so I invited her to watch spiderman3 with me on my HDTV and ps3.
She was amazed at the quality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I'll replace the DVD's that would be worth replacing. (like transformers)

yeah congrats on your entry to high def movies!!! What separates blu ray from dvd is really the color. You can upconvert with a decent dvd player (which there are that many decent ones out there) and get close to the resolution, but you can not beat that color. And the sound to of course but you would have to have surround sound to enjoy that!

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
DragonLord said:

I wouldn't go as far to say I will replace most, or even that many, of my DVD's with Blu-Rays, but I know exactly how you feel.  I need to get a good TV first once I get a place of my own.  We have an old ass 1080i TV in our place now.  At least it is 50+ inches.

I agree, I wont be replacing my DVD's, since theyre already "good enough" but I wont be buying DVD incarnations of a movie I want to collect anymore....
well maybe I might replace my all time favorites..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

ArtofAngels said:
Tapes FTW!

Flip books FTW!

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Good, well done!

@AOA

floppy discs FTW!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Watch Ratatouille and Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End. They did excellent jobs with the transfers for them. If you haven't seen either of them, I highly recommend them. Especially Ratatouille as it looks gorgeous and it's an awesome movie as well.

Just watched 300 this weekend in 1080p, it was amazing (also does the XMB output in 1080p ever), it was amazing, although not hugely better than something on Sky movies HD, which is quite annoying.

However, I do have plenty of BDs, including Spiderman triology and MI trilogy, though I can't wait for the Matrix/Bourne trilogies, or the Star Wars/LotR Sagas (they are just that epic)