By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Just watched my first Blu-Ray movie!

iclim4 said:
kn said:
I'm still not used to the "soap opera effect" that comes with hi-def movies (both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray). I've watched extended pieces of movies at BestBuy, Circuit City, and so on and quite often -- in varying scenes -- the "reality" of the image makes it look like a Soap Opera. I'm not saying it is bad -- just different. Film on screen as a very different look to it. I saw it in several places in Spiderman 3 as we as Batman. It seems to be evident on just about any high quality 1080P set... I guess it is something you get used to.

I'm guessing you were watching from a Sony xbr4?
As of right now, only Xbr4/5's have that 120hz motion enhancer option. Other TV's from other manufacturers have 120hz but they haven't made a proper software with it yet.
Motion enhancer smooths motion by making extra frames on its own which makes the "soap opera effect".
Of course you could always turn it off for the movie judder full experience again.
You could even turn on 24 frames/per sec for a true movie conversion experience.
Hi-def movies don't give the "soap opera effect" on their own. If that was the case, you'd feel the "soap opera effect" If you watch a movie in a movie theater.

Actually, I've seen it on a number of sets at BB and Circuit City.  I suspect all of them had some sort of "fine motion" or other setting that may have been increasing the "soap opera" effect but I'm not the only one that has complained about it.  I've found numerous discussions around the net... Indeed, the 120Mhz interpolation increases the effect dramatically, but most of the modern 1080P sets are doing some sort of "fine motion" or some other wizardry to try to produce the same type of results and they all do the same thing -- give one the impression of watching a high-def. soap opera.

Before I go hi-def, I'm going to borrow a friend's PS3 and play it on my Sharp 42" display and find out how it looks.... 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
kn said:
iclim4 said:
kn said:
I'm still not used to the "soap opera effect" that comes with hi-def movies (both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray). I've watched extended pieces of movies at BestBuy, Circuit City, and so on and quite often -- in varying scenes -- the "reality" of the image makes it look like a Soap Opera. I'm not saying it is bad -- just different. Film on screen as a very different look to it. I saw it in several places in Spiderman 3 as we as Batman. It seems to be evident on just about any high quality 1080P set... I guess it is something you get used to.

I'm guessing you were watching from a Sony xbr4?
As of right now, only Xbr4/5's have that 120hz motion enhancer option. Other TV's from other manufacturers have 120hz but they haven't made a proper software with it yet.
Motion enhancer smooths motion by making extra frames on its own which makes the "soap opera effect".
Of course you could always turn it off for the movie judder full experience again.
You could even turn on 24 frames/per sec for a true movie conversion experience.
Hi-def movies don't give the "soap opera effect" on their own. If that was the case, you'd feel the "soap opera effect" If you watch a movie in a movie theater.

Actually, I've seen it on a number of sets at BB and Circuit City.  I suspect all of them had some sort of "fine motion" or other setting that may have been increasing the "soap opera" effect but I'm not the only one that has complained about it.  I've found numerous discussions around the net... Indeed, the 120Mhz interpolation increases the effect dramatically, but most of the modern 1080P sets are doing some sort of "fine motion" or some other wizardry to try to produce the same type of results and they all do the same thing -- give one the impression of watching a high-def. soap opera.

Before I go hi-def, I'm going to borrow a friend's PS3 and play it on my Sharp 42" display and find out how it looks.... 

Hmmm. I dont notice that in my set.
I'm guessing you got used to the 2:3 pulldown effect?
since 120hz can distribute 24 fps evenly without the pulldown, that might explain why it seems smoother to you.(I'm not quite sure about that, so im threading lightly).
Though if that was the case you would have also complained about normal DVD's having the same effect.
Most newer TV's that are 120hz also have 24fps mode though, to stay true to the cinema conversion, so you don't have to live with the soap opera effect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?