By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is for those who care about "Next Gen" console graphics

Kane1389 said:
VanceIX said:
Kane1389 said:

Except, you know, the developers of the game coming out and saying it was completly in game...

I hope you realize that a short cutscene rendered isn't really that impressive, unless that performance can be sustained during actual gameplay. 

Like I said, until the game comes out no one knows what it will truly look like. See: Watch_dogs.

So now you're comparing a cross gen game that was showed when next gen specs werent even confirmed and made by a developer with a history of downgrading their games to Naughty Dogs next gen-only title?

If that was in game (as confirmed by the developers) than why wouldnt the graphics look the same during gameplay? They didnt pre render anything, they just did the motion capture and tweaked the camera angles.

Because during gameplay there are calculations needed for patricles, physics, bullet trajectory, AI, etc. Drake's face is the least important part needed to render.

But I digress.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

look what you done!! never talk bad about the ultra graphics from the super powerpuff next gen consoles, they are incredible, my eyes have been graced when contemplating their games, last gen now looks four generations away! you are just a pretender, you know that!

Edit: thank you all that are putting an end on this horrible thread! I don't need to see anything anymore, just rub numbers and graphs on everyone faces

We reap what we sow

amak11 said:

I have a background in marketing, i'm not in marketing(huge difference). I do know the concept of false advertising and in fact these numbers are not misleading at all. It still paints the correct image of the console capabilities. My suggestion is to go back and re-read what I wrote. I even had siad they aren't representative of the actual consoles. This whole conversation is about misinformation is your fault for not understanding something simple. I wouldn't say something that I haven't tested out in real life. I've probably sold more PS4s cause of it and I don't even work for retailers. Logic and truth does not exist in marketing, this is fact. Sony, MS, and Nintendo have all lied to all of us. Sony bolsters that 1080p 60fps claim for most of it's games yet most are 900p 60fps or 1080i 30fps. MS promised change and Nintendo promised third party. Marketing exist to throw people like you off of what these consoles will actually do. 

If you want to sit here and argue specs go ahead becuase I have done my research right up to the NDAs which prevent me from seeing more. The specs that Digital foundry gave out are under NDA aswell. They were only allowed to reviel certain information. If they revieled more they could be sued by Nintendo for breaking NDA. Hackers are the least trustworthy source for information because it's almost always skewed by their own bias. Devs are under NDA, they can only say what they think it's close to. 

"My suggestion is to go back and re-read what I wrote...."

*goes back*

"....All my explination was suppose to be, was a simple explination of power differences in the consoles."

*goes back further*

- "they're much closer to WiiU than you think". Stopped reading right there.

- Explain how thats not true?

- "As a Wii U hopeful, the Xbox One is closer to the Wii U, the PS4 is a cut above the Xbox One. "

Every part in the XBox is near identical to PS4 minus its GPU, how can that statement NOT be misleading? In terms of flops 1300 is much closer to 1800 than it is 350. Those GPUs are from the exact same architecture (7000/GCN) while the Wii U must be (5000-6000 era at best). Even if you doubled the Wii U numbers for the sake of secret sauce theories the XBox would still be closer to the PS4. 

"I do know the concept of false advertising and in fact these numbers are not misleading at all." followed by "I even had said they aren't representative of the actual consoles" Then WHY are you using them to " be a simple explination of power differences in the consoles" ?

"It still paints the correct image of the console capabilities. " No it doesn't

"Logic and truth does not exist in marketing, this is fact" the specifications in the XBox and PS4 are Confirmed, numbers dont lie .

"Marketing exist to throw people like you off of what these consoles will actually do" Dont trust Benchmarks, or Teardowns, or Digital Foundry, or my own experience (5670 HD -> Wii U -> 7870 HD). Trust people who read NDAs but cant reveal any details. Got it.

"Sony bolsters that 1080p 60fps claim for most of it's games yet most are 900p 60fps or 1080i 30fps" Where? Show me any official advertisements or statements with that claim? And Im only aware of TWO 900p games (Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4) on the PS4, where are most of these games?

"The specs that Digital foundry gave out are under NDA aswell. They were only allowed to reviel certain information. If they revieled more they could be sued by Nintendo for breaking NDA." 

They never got any information from Nintendo. Only reported from hacker teardowns and made assumptions off of power usage and AMD GPU generations. Assumptionms that have been fairly accurate for all three 8th gen systems even before they were officially announced.

I dont think the PS4 or XBox One are super powerful or anything but a truly accurate representation of the systems should always be given, nothing taken away or added. I dont think the Wii U is trash but I dont hype it up to be something its not either. On any scale it would always lean closer to the XBox 360 than to the XBox One (Usable RAM, GPU power, CPU cores, CPU threads, Memory Bandwidth).

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:

I dont think the PS4 or XBox One are super powerful or anything but a truly accurate representation of the systems should always be given, nothing taken away or added. I dont think the Wii U is trash but I dont hype it up to be something its not either. On any scale it would always lean closer to the XBox 360 than to the XBox One (Usable RAM, GPU power, CPU cores, CPU threads, Memory Bandwidth).

This is why there is a huge descrepency  in my numbers. The difference between my numbers and the actual numbers is that they scale better. The actual difference is pretty huge. You are trying to find an argument in something that isn't here. What's the difference between 700 and 500? Let's just add more consoles to the mix since I did put PS3 at 400 and 360 at 450 and Wii at 350. This puts the PS2 at 200, Gamecube at 275, and Xbox at 300 , Dreamcast at 150. Let's go back another generation. PS1 at sub 100 and N64 at sub 100.  

This is what I mean when my numbers scale better. They factor in every damn console I can think of and what their graphical abilities were. There is a significant difference between where the Wii U sits at and the PS4 and One sit at and it's smaller numbers to look at. No shmuck off the street is going to look at 1386 and 386 and this is bigger than the other. They'll mostly be confused and this is where marketing comes in to explain the numbers in a way that shmuck can understand

amak11 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

This is why there is a huge descrepency  in my numbers. The difference between my numbers and the actual numbers is that they scale better. The actual difference is pretty huge. You are trying to find an argument in something that isn't here. What's the difference between 700 and 500? Let's just add more consoles to the mix since I did put PS3 at 400 and 360 at 450 and Wii at 350. This puts the PS2 at 200, Gamecube at 275, and Xbox at 300. Let's go back another generation. PS1 at sub 100, N64 at sub 100, Dreamcast at 100.  

This is what I mean when my numbers scale better. They factor in every damn console I can think of and what their graphical abilities were. There is a significant difference between where the Wii U sits at and the PS4 and One sit at and it's smaller numbers to look at. No shmuck off the street is going to look at 1386 and 386 and this is bigger than the other. They'll mostly be confused and this is where marketing comes in to explain the numbers in a way that shmuck can understand

Dreamcast was actually in the same generation as the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. It was arguably on equal footing with the PS2 in terms of power as well

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

Dreamcast was actually in the same generation as the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. It was arguably on equal footing with the PS2 in terms of power as well

Ooops lol. My mind is getting tired of explaining the same thing over again. Thanks for catching that! 

VanceIX said:
Kane1389 said:
VanceIX said:
Kane1389 said:

Except, you know, the developers of the game coming out and saying it was completly in game...

I hope you realize that a short cutscene rendered isn't really that impressive, unless that performance can be sustained during actual gameplay. 

Like I said, until the game comes out no one knows what it will truly look like. See: Watch_dogs.

So now you're comparing a cross gen game that was showed when next gen specs werent even confirmed and made by a developer with a history of downgrading their games to Naughty Dogs next gen-only title?

If that was in game (as confirmed by the developers) than why wouldnt the graphics look the same during gameplay? They didnt pre render anything, they just did the motion capture and tweaked the camera angles.

Because during gameplay there are calculations needed for patricles, physics, bullet trajectory, AI, etc. Drake's face is the least important part needed to render.

But I digress.

Again, if that video was in-game, then Drake's character model will look exactly the same in gameplay as it does in cutscenes. Naughty Dog already achieved this with TLOU:R

bah, they should have tried an older amd card, that wouldnt have worked because the game runs realy terrible on amd cards---

WiiU is the only true next gen console with its gamepad and upgraded graphics. While the X1 and PS4 are more of an update.

CGI-Quality said:
prayformojo said:

The PC, right NOW, if more powerful than PS4. In two years, it will make PS4 look like a paper weight. This isn't like the old days where a console launches and has games that are serveral times better looking than the best looking PC game at the time. No, these consoles weren't even AT an equal level when they LAUNCHED.

As a Wii-U owner, I couldn't give two poops about horsepower but lets be real here. The PS4 and Xbone aren't that powerful.

I'm having trouble remembering which PS3 (or 360 game) looked "several times better" than PC games of 2005/06, for example. In fact, I don't remember any new console games like that.  

What I meant was that it use to be when a new console launched, for a little while, it was as powerful as a top of the line PC rig. Not anymore.