By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This is for those who care about "Next Gen" console graphics

Uhh not even worth arguing anymore. Duh PC has more power. Does it matter? To some yes. To others no. Games on PS4 and XBox1 and even WiiU will look really good especially compared to there last gen variants. They ARE next gen CONSOLES. Proprietary hardware can be extremely optimized please don't forget. Gamers on ALL platforms including PC should just be happy they have so many options.

Around the Network

PC can produce better graphics? No fucking kidding! I'm pretty sure that was established even before the PS4/X1 were even released. I don't see the point of this thread at all lol.

CGI-Quality said:
prayformojo said:

The PC, right NOW, if more powerful than PS4. In two years, it will make PS4 look like a paper weight. This isn't like the old days where a console launches and has games that are serveral times better looking than the best looking PC game at the time. No, these consoles weren't even AT an equal level when they LAUNCHED.

As a Wii-U owner, I couldn't give two poops about horsepower but lets be real here. The PS4 and Xbone aren't that powerful.

I'm having trouble remembering which PS3 (or 360 game) looked "several times better" than PC games of 2005/06, for example. In fact, I don't remember any new console games like that.  

I can't either. You would have to go back to NES / Atari 7800 for games that looked several times better than PC games, as PC didn't get VGA until 1987 and was still limited to 16 colors.

I played Oblivion on a 2004 PC, albeit with a new GPU (~$220). It looked much better than on 360 and ran fine with everything maxed in the ini files beyond the regular limits. That was 3 months after the 360 launch.

TVs were smaller in 2006, people generally didn't have pcs hooked up to the tv yet. So perhaps in hindsight the scaled down tv version appeared to look better than the right in your face pc version. The thing with consoles is that they could still run Skyrim, my 2004 PC, doubt it. (It killed itself long before that)

I care about getting native display res on my 1080p projector. I don't need have to resort to a PC for that anymore, more convenient.

AnthonyW86 said:
PullusPardus said:
AnthonyW86 said:
''they're much closer to WiiU than you think''

Stopped reading right there.

Explain how thats not true?

To comment on the video, let me just quote ''we did not focus on power consumption''. If they did it would show something like this:

Power consumption GTX 480 card only:                       ~270 Watts

Power consumption Playstation 4 entire system:       ~135 Watts

That means just one GTX 480 consumes twice the amount of power as an entire Playstation 4 system. In other words if you would try to use a card like the GTX 480 in a console it would fry in minutes.

In 32nm technology it will be less than 100W.

Kane1389 said:
UTKresh said:
Kane1389 said:
UTKresh said:
Kane1389 said:

I am yet to see graphical fidelity of this quality on any 'master race' hardware, not to mention this is running at 1080p and 60fps. If you tried to do this on a 400 or even a 600$ PC it would probably explode

as a game-developer i can only laugh at people who really believe UC4 is going to look like that.
sorry to disappoint you, but a game with such details in gameplay is next to impossible to produce. this has nothing to do with the power of the console (which it don´t have anyway), but much more with the cost involved to produce such a quality throughout the whole game. sorry to disappoint you all, but UC4 will probalby look like UC3 meets Infamous SS. Not better and not worse.

I'd take the word of an actual top-tier programmer of the game rather than some random guy on forums,no offence

oh man. do you also believe the PR bullshit about the Cloud making the Xbox One 4x as powerful as it is? most likely not.
But you truly believe this crap? *facepalm*.

There is a difference when a corporation that has tried to rob and screw over its customers in the past is harping about an unproven, new technology and when a good, proven developer with history of amazing graphical achievments, universal acclaim  and good reputation  is saying 'the trailer we showed was in-game

you boy, sound like a pretty young teenager. sorry for that.

you probably have zero knowledge about game development.
first of all, this is a cutscene, no matter if in-game or whatever. saying that, rendering cutscenes, even when rendered by the game-engine (call it in-game, in-engine or whatever you like), the render quality will always surpass the gameplay quality.
second, compare photomode of games like Forza or Gran Turismo to actual gameplay. even though you can interact in photo-mode, the render quality in such a mode is much higher. in comparison, an in-game cutscene has next to zero interaction. you do the math.

and now stop being so naive and believing every bullshit thrown at you, just because you would like it to be true. take the trailer for what it is. a beautiful cutscene.

Around the Network
UTKresh said:
Kane1389 said:

you boy, sound like a pretty young teenager. sorry for that.

you probably have zero knowledge about game development.
first of all, this is a cutscene, no matter if in-game or whatever. saying that, rendering cutscenes, even when rendered by the game-engine (call it in-game, in-engine or whatever you like), the render quality will always surpass the gameplay quality.
second, compare photomode of games like Forza or Gran Turismo to actual gameplay. even though you can interact in photo-mode, the render quality in such a mode is much higher. in comparison, an in-game cutscene has next to zero interaction. you do the math.

and now stop being so naive and believing every bullshit thrown at you, just because you would like it to be true. take the trailer for what it is. a beautiful cutscene.

I dont know why is upsetting you so much that you have to throw provocations and slurs at me. I am guessing your master race ego is being threatend.

There is a difference between  pre render cutscenes that are in-engine (like naughty dog games on PS3) and in-game cutscenes like this one is (according to ND). Meaning that the character model wont change during a cutscene or gameplay, it will look exactly the same. Naughty Dog already achieved this on TLOU:R where character models look exactly the same during gameplay as they do during a cutscene

I'm a PC and Console guy. The PS4 is about 85% of what I wanted it to be. I feel that a 3ghz hex core and ~7950 (r280) would have been a better way to future proof but it's still far better than the U or ps360 gen. Hitting $399 and being profitable is important. I think production values of AAA games are what makes the difference. However there is a valid point on XB1 being perhaps a bit too weak hardware wise. A Pentium dual core + 750ti can play Titanfall at high setting and low AA at 1080p with less lag and no screen tearing, ditto bf4. And that's a value GPU from the first year of xb1s life. Midrange GPUs from future gens will dominate easily. So while we play and enjoy our console exclusives on ps4 and xb1, I'll continue to play multiplat stuff available on PC there for the best experience for myself. Going 1440p and 1600p until 4k becomes more viable at my budget. I think r390x and gtx880 will make it doable with CF/SLI for 3840x2160 @ 60fps high/ultra which will make things awesome such as Arkham Knight, BF5, Titanfall 2, COD:AW, etc. All while still loving the U and PS4. Win/win. Play what you love, everyone is different.

CGI-Quality said:
prayformojo said:
CGI-Quality said:
prayformojo said:

-snip

I'm having trouble remembering which PS3 (or 360 game) looked "several times better" than PC games of 2005/06, for example. In fact, I don't remember any new console games like that.  

What I meant was that it use to be when a new console launched, for a little while, it was as powerful as a top of the line PC rig. Not anymore.

Well, to do so would mean having to create expensive pieces of equipment. Was it worth it last gen?

Despite that, I still don't recall any launch games walking laps around the best looking PC titles. Ever.

You and I both know the reason behind games not looking amazing at launch and, yes, it's worth it and always has been. When a console is that much more advanced from the one that came before it, it creates the kind of excitement that was missing this time. I remember reading the first impressions of the PS4 unveiling on IGN's PS4 page. I think it was Greg who opened up his article with something like, let's just get this out of the way. It's now obvious that we'll never see another huge graphical jump between generations again. The days of being "wowed" when a new console comes out are over. 

All im going to say is that for 400 dollar im very happy with my PS4, i think the value proposition vs the price is more than good enough, it might be far away from being as powerful as most gaming PCs out there but it gets the job done.

And the amount of exclusives and Japanese games that it will get (just like any other PS console) is always a great Plus to have...