By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4

I'll repeat the comments I've been making in this thread too. Should have been released at 720p and more effort put into graphical effects. No reason to bother trying to compete in the resolution war against PC when the graphics can't be increased by doing so.

Around the Network

This is solid 60fps. Even Totalbiscuit would laugh at calling it anything else
Not solid/constant is when your framerate varies simply by looking into the distance or everytime an explosion happens etc. Basically a drop that you can always expect to happen within a certain circumstance. That doesn't happen here.
All i needed to know to confirm my pre-order

Lafiel said:
walsufnir said:

So it looks like ND delivered a very good Remaster but all the "60 fps locked" statements done before on forums (not to blame people, Twitter from ND staff was the reason) seems now gone like the wind...

whoever wrote this article is a liar

ND never said "60 fps locked", they said they "target 60 fps"

Based Twitter:...

And? The game is 60fps.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

Oh definitely it will look much better than this! But I don't know about 60fps now...

UC at 60 fps is a myth. Though I hope people will keep believing in it until it's released. That way the outrage will be even jucier.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kupomogli said:
I'll repeat the comment in this thread too. Should have been released at 720p and more effort put into graphical effects. No reason to bother trying to compete in the resolution war against PC when the graphics can't be increased by doing so.

you can repeat that a million times and it won't happen

upping the resolution is relatively easy, adding new effects to an old engine you won't use anymore is an excercise in futility and would certainly have ment this version couldn't release in 2014

walsufnir said:

so, Gyrling stated "constant 60fps" twice (not a single "60 fps locked" one - Leadbetter is a liar confirmed) and according to DFs framerate video he is not wrong

only the upside down scene/area seems to have problems - that and spore grenades, but grenades always were a problem, even in almost every "60fps locked" game

walsufnir said:
Lafiel said:
walsufnir said:

So it looks like ND delivered a very good Remaster but all the "60 fps locked" statements done before on forums (not to blame people, Twitter from ND staff was the reason) seems now gone like the wind...

whoever wrote this article is a liar

ND never said "60 fps locked", they said they "target 60 fps"

why u only copied what was convenient for u from the article? 

from the article

we're looking at 1080p resolution at 60fps in both single and multi-player, a 4x detail increase to texture maps and a 2x resolution boost to shadow maps. Texture streaming is no longer required owing to the PS4's prodigious RAM, and there's longer draw distances, better LOD and improved particle effects. In essence, Naughty Dog has scaled up the original game to full HD and boosted assets to match, while doubling frame-rate. How does that look? Well, we've prepared a 22-minute 60fps gameplay capture here, downscaled from full resolution captures, and we've provided a 1080p60 download that should work just fine on most modern computers - and indeed the PlayStation 3.

rame-rate isn't locked to 60fps, but The Last of Us Remastered does spend the vast majority of its time at the optimal refresh.

At this point it has to be said that the game's day one patch was not available for testing, so there remains the possibility that things may improve once that hits - and we'll be sure to update you if that is the case.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Raziel123 said:
And? The game is 60fps.

It doesn't keep a constant 60fps like we were told over and over.  The game drops to 48fps the first time a decent number of particle effects appear on screen and apparently they've recorded as low as 40fps in multiplayer.

What was the reply when I said everyone who is expecting 1080p@60fps may as well go build a pc right now because it's not happening on the PS4?  Oh yeah.  Wait until The Last of Us Remastered releases.  Well it's released and for a game that's a last gen port with the same textures and a resolution bump, it's not a constant 60fps like all of you were sure it would be. 

The Last Guardian has a better chance of being released than Uncharted 4 does at being 60fps.

*edit* 

Btw.  That means no chance on both.