Gen 3: NES/Sega Master System 10 3.40%

Gen 4: Sega Genesis/SNES/TurboGrafx-16 75 25.51%

Gen 5: Nintendo 64/Playstion/Sega Saturn 57 19.39%

Gen 6: Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube 93 31.63%

Gen 7: Xbox 360/PS3/Wii 31 10.54%

Gen 8: Wii U/PS4/Xbox One 21 7.14%

Total:294
Mr.Playstation said:
While I do agree with most of what you say especially the part in which you say that realistic games age badly, I disagree with you in your third point. The problem are not the new games or consoles but you. As one grows older he makes a fine line between past and present. The past seems magical a time when games were amazing. The present is a time riddled with problems were games lack magic. Many go through this phase explains why many gamers collect old consoles to relive that time when games where magical but intact they have grown into adults and changed.

I'm 34 and have been playing games since I was 4 which means I've experienced every generation starting with Atari 2600 AS IT HAPPENED and let me tell you something, that "magic" thing you speak of? I had it all the way up until the this generation when I bought a PS4 at launch. It has nothing to do with youth for me, because I haven't been considered "young" for ten years.

For me, the PS4 and Xbone lost that magic when they released consoles and software that were shiny versions of what we have been seeing for years now. Nothing fresh, nothing new. It took a few months before the joy of the new toy I bought wore off and I was left bored to tears. Not that the games sucked, but because, like I said..been there, done that.

So, I went with Wii-U instead. I got the MK8 bundle, and The Wonderful 101 and...there is was...that magic again. You can't keep playing the same murder sim/FPS/mature/dark hum drum software over and over again without it getting old imo. Back in the day, each generation meant brand new experiences and THAT was what made the magic happen. Without it...meh...

Around the Network
OneHappyGamer:) said:
Nintentacle said:
OneHappyGamer:) said:

1. Games are trying to be realistic!? why the hell are we striving for this? I live in a pretty realistic world called real life, I don't think I want to sit on my couch playing it on a TV screen with worse graphics.

PM me when you have to go to war, kill thousands of people for treasure, or the zombie apocalypse happens.

Zombies aren't exactly realistic. I was mostly talking about games that strive to be real in both graphics and gameplay, like madden and other EA sports games.

I may not play in the NFL, but I certainly can go out and play football, or just watch it on TV. both are superior to playing the game version. a game like uncharted I know I can never be a treasure hunter like nathan drake, but I can watch a very similar movie. its really mostly a visual thing though.

in a video game I want to do things that are not possible in real life. both visual wise, and gameplay wise to a point.

I can agree with EA Sports, but Uncharted was pretty damn fun IMO!

You should probably get a Wii U, though.

No thanks.

The SNES period left me bored and drifting away from gaming. So many platformers and beat 'em ups. So many memory games that once you master, they become cake. Speed runs might be kind of fun but I really only did them as a kid because games were in short supply. So many games with easy to find exploits that turned them into cake with twelve layers.

There was a really significant void, for me, when it came to games with complex and interesting characters; a void of games with engaging worlds and storylines that grab you and take you on a ride. I grew up reading novels more than I played games, I want at least part of my gaming library to appeal to my imagination, to keep my mind from drifting.

Honestly, the ONLY retro gaming I'm interested in is turn-based RPGs. Everything else, I feel like the current crop of games is better, especially given the vast improvement in variety.

I turn 20 in two weeks. For me, retro gaming certainly has a bit more appeal quite often. I do find a lot to be excited for in the current gen, but when I replay games it's almost always the ps1 or 2 era. I don't have an SNES or NES yet, so I'm sure once I do I'll be hooked there as well.

prayformojo said:
Mr.Playstation said:
While I do agree with most of what you say especially the part in which you say that realistic games age badly, I disagree with you in your third point. The problem are not the new games or consoles but you. As one grows older he makes a fine line between past and present. The past seems magical a time when games were amazing. The present is a time riddled with problems were games lack magic. Many go through this phase explains why many gamers collect old consoles to relive that time when games where magical but intact they have grown into adults and changed.

I'm 34 and have been playing games since I was 4 which means I've experienced every generation starting with Atari 2600 AS IT HAPPENED and let me tell you something, that "magic" thing you speak of? I had it all the way up until the this generation when I bought a PS4 at launch. It has nothing to do with youth for me, because I haven't been considered "young" for ten years.

For me, the PS4 and Xbone lost that magic when they released consoles and software that were shiny versions of what we have been seeing for years now. Nothing fresh, nothing new. It took a few months before the joy of the new toy I bought wore off and I was left bored to tears. Not that the games sucked, but because, like I said..been there, done that.

So, I went with Wii-U instead. I got the MK8 bundle, and The Wonderful 101 and...there is was...that magic again. You can't keep playing the same murder sim/FPS/mature/dark hum drum software over and over again without it getting old imo. Back in the day, each generation meant brand new experiences and THAT was what made the magic happen. Without it...meh...

I am sure that gaming to you is not the same as it was when you was 4. Back then gaming meant a big part of your life. Back then every gaming moment such as getting a game, finishing a game, beat a difficult boss etc was precious. This is what the op is talking about and since he is just 16 he is just finding out that gaming seems to have less meaning to him then when he was a child. And by the way this gen is trying to find a new gerne as you can see new games are taking over and Cod and Ac are being left behind. My advice would be to give this gen some time to settle down. And you may also be finding Mk8 and the wonderfull 101 especially Mk8, enjoyable since you may have rarely played any of the previous versions.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

Great games are still being made but if you just look at some original game franchises that have been ruined, by turning them into impersonal popcorn action games:
- Hitman
- Tomb Raider
- Splinter Cell
- Deus Ex

It's hard to resist buttmad when looking at that list.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Been there. Not at all uncommon

Many indie games capture the magic you speak of. And the effect of rose-tinted nostalgia glasses should not be
underestimated.

All in all, gaming has never been better, or cheaper.

I agree with you in that many modern games are missing the magic of the NES/SNES era. And I miss the abandonment of reality that most titles had back then. I like stories about some random dude in armor who fights freaky creatures and there are floating platforms to jump on etc. I like precise gameplay and no hints or auto-jumping and auto-balancing and auto-aiming. I miss the classic Final Fantasy game worlds with beautiful music and pretty villages and mysterious caves.

New games are good too though. And as others have said, Wii U has some good classic-style gaming. SM3DW brings 2D Mario elements into 3D and is the most precise gaming of the 3D titles. Zelda WWHD has classic feel. There are other good gameplay-focused titles on the system, and lots retro-styled downloadable titles. I expect Xenoblade to offer some classic JRPG fun as well.

^ but yeah - if you have to, emulate the shit out of DC/PS2/GC. That'll keep you very happy.

prayformojo said:
Mr.Playstation said:

I'm the same age as you and been playing games just as long. I'm different and in the fact that those type of games almost never get old 2 me and if they do,I just simply take a break from them. The difference is that graphics have just about reached it's peak on consoles. what brand new experience could there possibly be? maybe virtual reality? Going all digital? I mean what do expect?