By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony made FromSoftware a well respected studio?

The first From Software game I've played was the long box version of King's Field on the PSX, then Armored Core 2 Master of Arena. I've purchased most of their Armored Core series, King's Field 2, Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring, Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, King's Field the Ancient City, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls. They were always a good developer in my opinion, but their adventure games weren't ever amazing until Demon's Souls. Their adventure games were always okay or good. Most Armored Core games are good, though I feel Armored Core 5 is meh. Worst in the series.

And yes.  Sony has made FromSoftware the well respected studio they're known as.  Most of their games have been exclusive to Sony since the PSX.  So they're where they're at because of Sony, whether or not you want to think of  the reason as Demon's Souls or not.

Around the Network

First, I would need to recognize there name tbh

LudicrousSpeed said:
Idk, I think From Software made the games. Plus they were known for Armored Core long before Souls.

It would be like saying MS made Epic Studios a well respected studio imho.

Not really, since Sony Japan Studio co-developed Demon Souls (and the upcoming game Bloodborne), while Microsoft Studios was in no way involved in development of any past Gears of War game.

In a way, they helped, I guess, but the credit goes largely to From themselves.

Of all the new IPs that were created in the last gen, Souls is my favorite one, and with the downfall of so many Japanese developers that used to be on top of the hill up until the 6th gen, From Software (along with Platinum) have become my favorite Japanese 3rd party developer.

And I also enjoyed 3D Dot Game Heroes quite a lot.

I've never ever played any of their games :S

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Sony and Software made most of their games in tandem. Can't say the same for MS. This is why I love Sony Santa Monica and Sony Japan. The don't just pay their partners for IP's and let them fail. They help them finish their products because they actually have a standard. The same thing is going on with the Order right now.

Richard_Feynman said:
FATALITY said:
phaedruss said:
A lot of people love Armored Core, it's a hardcore series if there was ever one. Demon's Souls was all From Software with Sony almost rejecting it entirely.

that is far from the truth

demons souls was co-developt by sony and souls series use sonys engine.

So irritating when someone doesn't respond to something like that.

He Knows he is wrong atleast...

GamechaserBE said:

No, what they did was  made a game based on one of their games they loved to made in the past and it worked:

Heck Hidetaka Miyazaki the director of the first two souls games out right said in an interview that the kings field games were a definite influence during the development of demon souls in an interview with gameinformer 

(posting the link to the article here cause its actually an interesting read) 

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/demons_souls/b/ps3/archive/2009/11/05/feature-demon-s-souls-director-discusses-difficulty-sequels-and-more.aspx

poklane said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Idk, I think From Software made the games. Plus they were known for Armored Core long before Souls.

It would be like saying MS made Epic Studios a well respected studio imho.

Not really, since Sony Japan Studio co-developed Demon Souls (and the upcoming game Bloodborne), while Microsoft Studios was in no way involved in development of any past Gears of War game.

Some assistance with one game that they made does not change the fact that From Software made the game, or that they were known long before Demon's Souls.

Sony supported the game so much they opted to pass on publishing it outside of Japan, and it went on to sell almost 4 times as much outside of Japan and was a big enough success that it spawned Dark Souls, which is a bigger franchise than Demons Souls.

Of course does it really matter? From was already a "respected studio" and have been for 20 years.

Experimental42 said:
Isn't the Souls series the successor to From's Kings Field series? All they really did was update it, change the controls, and create a similar setting.

From has been a great company for a long time. Demon's Souls just gave them more Western recognition. It wasn't even till Dark Souls that the franchise really blew up either, and that's a multiplat.

The sad part to me is that Sony has the rights to Demon's Souls so it will never become official Dark Souls canon despite fitting so perfectly into the lore of Dark Souls.

No it doesnt... both games have very different lore, people just like to tie in little things here and there to try and relate both games despite that From has said a billion time that DaS is a spiritual sequel and not a Sequel, the only real realtion betwen the two games is Patches (the NPC) but thats a easter egg that From has used even in the Armored Core series, anyway if you played BOTH games you should now how vastly Different the lore is.

Edit: the only way i think you could tie both games in, is if DeS happened a LONG time aftter both DaS games maybe then it could make sense, if people forgot what originally happened before in DaS.