By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - US Box Office: Uncharted movie vs Halo movie

Which movie will gross more in US box office?

Uncharted movie 78 48.15%

Halo movie 84 51.85%

Total:162
Goatseye said:
WolfpackN64 said:

With all respect, Halo is just a much bigger franchise. You cn't go wrong with a solid sci-fi film

It should even be an argument here.

/Thread. Mods...

Yet as you can see it IS an argument here. Halo is a bigger franchise as a game. Uncharted can translate very well to a movie, see Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider. Yet Halo's genre is terrible for movies. Have you seen Forward unto Dawn? Yeah that's what i mean.

Around the Network

They'd both be awful and bomb hard.

Puppyroach said:
bevochan said:
Puppyroach said:
There wouldn´t even be a competition, Halo would dominate it domestic and worldwide. First off, it wouldn´t be a game centered around Master Chief, but he would probably be a central part of it. Also, the Halo universe offers such a unique mythos that you could actually create something that lasts offer several Movies. And finally, Halo fans will support it all over the World in huge numbers.

Outside of the video game audience who are the young males from teens to late 20s, I fail to why Halo mythos would attract the general audience.  I also fail to see why the general audience would be interested in a lead character Master Chief who wears a helmet with no personality.  More importantly, I doubt the female audience would care about a faceless lead character like Master Chief.

No doubt that Uncharted to appeal more to the general audience.  I do think it would be dependent on the actor chosen to play Nathan Drake.  Hopefully it's not Marky Mark as originally planned.  Nathon Fillon would be a great fit, but he's not a bankable star for a summer June 2015 release.  Although Green Latern bombed, Ryan Reynolds would be able to pull a Nathan Drake.  Ryan Gosling would be okay, but he doesn't seem to have that Han Solo/Van Wilder/Gambler personality for Nathan Drake.  Although Chris Pratt doesn't visually fit as Nathan Drake, he has the persona to pull off a Nathan Drake, and after Guardians of the Galaxy, he may be seen as a lead capable for a big summer release movie.  Not sure who else....

Master Chief would most likely be a central part of the movie but not necessarily the lead. The Halo universe can be about ODST´s, young spartans or someone else within the UNSC. The idea of a covenant of races, all worshipping the forerunners and more specifically the Halo rings, is a combination of fantasy and Sci-fi storytelling that is very strong. Later in the series of movies, the actual forerunners can be introduced, which also pulls the viewer in even deeper.

Uncharted is great as an adventure game in itself. It is just way to generic to fit on the big screen and be big with the general public.

lol that would actully be Uncharted's strength..the audience are familar with the story...what is stopping Halo from looking like every other scifi.."we are human, so we win everytime" movie like independence day or war of the world etc..? Hzalo can just be as generic to someone who isnt familiar with its Lore.

WolfpackN64 said:

With all respect, Halo is just a much bigger franchise. You cn't go wrong with a solid sci-fi film

yes you can...oh there is a lot that can go wrong...a Halo movie would be a way way bigger risk than an Uncharted movie...

bubblegamer said:

Yet as you can see it IS an argument here. Halo is a bigger franchise as a game. Uncharted can translate very well to a movie, see Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider. Yet Halo's genre is terrible for movies. Have you seen Forward unto Dawn? Yeah that's what i mean.

Yeah I've seen FUD, it's an amazing show customers gave it 4/5 stars on amazon.

If you had played Halo 4, you would've known that Halo has the potential to be the best video game to movie adaptation.

Around the Network
overman1 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

yes you can...oh there is a lot that can go wrong...a Halo movie would be a way way bigger risk than an Uncharted movie...

How?

overman1 said:
Puppyroach said:

Master Chief would most likely be a central part of the movie but not necessarily the lead. The Halo universe can be about ODST´s, young spartans or someone else within the UNSC. The idea of a covenant of races, all worshipping the forerunners and more specifically the Halo rings, is a combination of fantasy and Sci-fi storytelling that is very strong. Later in the series of movies, the actual forerunners can be introduced, which also pulls the viewer in even deeper.

Uncharted is great as an adventure game in itself. It is just way to generic to fit on the big screen and be big with the general public.

lol that would actully be Uncharted's strength..the audience are familar with the story...what is stopping Halo from looking like every other scifi.."we are human, so we win everytime" movie like independence day or war of the world etc..? Hzalo can just be as generic to someone who isnt familiar with its Lore.

And the story of Uncharted is...?

There is a reason Halo is so highly regarded within the gaming industry. As with any great story it is about more than the hero or the villains, or even the Sci-fi setting. It is about fundamentalism, about blind faith and what it leads to. It is about how we regard our history and how history through manipulative leaders (the prophets) can be rewritten. It is about change (the arbiter) and how long we can push our humanity for survival (spartans). It has so many interesting elements that make for great toughtprovoking sci-fi that aren´t only about big explosions and a man in armor.

And the forerunners and the flood will make for awesome teasers into future movies :).

Goatseye said:
bubblegamer said:

If you had played Halo 4, you would've known that Halo has the potential to be the best video game to movie adaptation.

And it got 7.2 on IMDB and 8.6 on TV.com (very few votes there though). Overall, great grades for a small series made by a not-so-famous director. I imagine in the hands of Ridley Scott, this can turn into pure movie magic.

Puppyroach said:
Goatseye said:
bubblegamer said:

And it got 7.2 on IMDB and 8.6 on TV.com (very few votes there though). Overall, great grades for a small series made by a not-so-famous director. I imagine in the hands of Ridley Scott, this can turn into pure movie magic.

You must take into account that the series was aimed mainly at the existing fans, and was not very widely popular among mainstream audience.

But, if you also compare ratings for TV-series on IMDB, you will notice that the good ratings start around 8.0 actually, a big leap from feature film ratings. Usually, if a series gets below 8.0, in 9 out if 10 cases, it is just of an average quality. If you compare it with similar series like Stargate (8.2) and Battlestar Galactica (8.8), realize it was watched mainly by fans, and still managed only 7.2, it is a signal that the series was average at best. Should the movie garner the same response, it would be a complete bomb, with IMdB no higher than 6.2...

Halo more box office
But profitability? Who knows. Uncharted will probably have a smaller budget, it could do better than Halo even with less box office.