By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - US Box Office: Uncharted movie vs Halo movie

Which movie will gross more in US box office?

Uncharted movie 78 48.15%

Halo movie 84 51.85%

Total:162

I will take a break of this website before I hurt myself.
My goodness, is this Idiocracy in real life? I don't really think... **ck it.

Around the Network

i think avatar (the one with the giant smurfs) will do better.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

Uncharted should have more appeal to the non gaming audience so all things being equal it should get a higher gross.

Hard to know which is likely to be less crap. Halo can get away with having a weaker story and characters because space, aliens and big explosions. Uncharted needs an interesting story, good acting and good characters. So IMO Uncharted has a harder task ahead of it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I read so many non sense today that I've had enough.
God... hmmm. ^^^^

If you are talking about US Box Office then Halo would make more IMO.

Around the Network

I say Halo

true_fan said:

Is this really a question, Uncharted isn't even a mainstream game. The WORLD knows who Master Chief is and only gamers knows who Nathan Drake is. According to this site, Uncharted doesn't even have a game that reaches 7 million in sales, that would put it 3rd on XBOX behind Halo and Gears.

Not to mention Halo has Forward Unto Dawn and Red vs. Blue on Netflix and tens of millions of views on youtube. Also the addiitional Halo merchandise with comics, books, toys, puzzles... type Halo in amazon and then type uncharted it's night in day. By page 2 for uncharted it's a bunch of other stuff. Popularity sells movie tickets.

It really doesn't.  The average person has no clue who either of them is and that percentage will only go down outside the US.  Find someone on the street who doesn't look like a gamer, show them a picture of both and see what happens.  You'd probably get more, "that's the guy on those Mountain Dew bottle," than anything else.

On topic, this is really a meaningless question, as which movie performs best would depend on the quality and marketing budget of each.  That being said, a Halo movie would be very expensive and a big risk.  I think it would need some big names attached to stand a chance at a profit.  An Uncharted movie, on the other hand, has the potential to do well with non-gamers and women, if it has good writing, dialogue, and casting.  Movie-goers won't even need to know it's based on a game and the budget doesn't need to be insane.

pokoko said:
true_fan said:

Is this really a question, Uncharted isn't even a mainstream game. The WORLD knows who Master Chief is and only gamers knows who Nathan Drake is. According to this site, Uncharted doesn't even have a game that reaches 7 million in sales, that would put it 3rd on XBOX behind Halo and Gears.

Not to mention Halo has Forward Unto Dawn and Red vs. Blue on Netflix and tens of millions of views on youtube. Also the addiitional Halo merchandise with comics, books, toys, puzzles... type Halo in amazon and then type uncharted it's night in day. By page 2 for uncharted it's a bunch of other stuff. Popularity sells movie tickets.

It really doesn't.  The average person has no clue who either of them is and that percentage will only go down outside the US.  Find someone on the street who doesn't look like a gamer, show them a picture of both and see what happens.  You'd probably get more, "that's the guy on those Mountain Dew bottle," than anything else.

On topic, this is really a meaningless question, as which movie performs best would depend on the quality and marketing budget of each.  That being said, a Halo movie would be very expensive and a big risk.  I think it would need some big names attached to stand a chance at a profit.  An Uncharted movie, on the other hand, has the potential to do well with non-gamers and women, if it has good writing, dialogue, and casting.  Movie-goers won't even need to know it's based on a game and the budget doesn't need to be insane.

exactly...I cant see many women (who are the bulk of movie goers) flocking to the theaters to check out a Halo movie...Uncharted on the other hand..with a well known star who is charming and handsome and a good or decent actor to play a charming witty Nathan Drake will definitely do well in the theaters and with chicks in general especially those who arent into gaming and dont know shit about either franchises. 

My vote would go to Uncharted to win by a massive amount. It all of course depends primarily on how good the movies are as well. I can't see Halo being anything other than the next Doom; there's just not that much you can do in the universe to please fans and make it successful at the same time. Halo would have to be much different than its videogame counterpart where the story and character development is very dull, cheezy, and unwitting. The game is loved by many fans but Halo as a movie just wouldn't work because there are too many things you'd have to change.

Uncharted on the other hadn can stay true to its roots and be successful due to the sexy cast, one-liners, Drake, fun light-hearted easy going setting and many other reasons. It would obviously have a horrible plot but if executed properly it could do well as an action comedy spectacle. Uncharted was practically meant for Hollywood.

Just my view, it could go the opposite way depending on a lot of things but this is how I see it playing out.

Goatseye said:
I think this is one of those bait threads just to get Xbox fans banned.
Anyway, Uncharted would be trashed if Square Enix decide to give a go to the new Lara Croft for big screen.
Halo is a multi-billion dollar business. Big sci-fi directors like Neil Blomkamp, Steven Spielberg and Ridley Scott worked or been working on this IP.

I agree with you about the thread, it's way too premature to give any predictions, especially when Halo projects seem to have moved to smaller screens.

My thoughts on the prospects of both:

Uncharted - has more mainstream potential as an Indiana Jones-type movie. It will sink or swim based on the choice of actors and the strength of story. If they cast Shia LaBeouf or some similarly irritating actor, the movie will flop. If they cast that werewolf freak from Twilight, they might as well put all the money on a pile and burn it. The current director is a comedy hack whose biggest action scenes so far were directing a 400 pound woman out of the bathroom stall. The story will probably go through 20 screenwriters and end up looking nothing like Uncharted.However, the story is less important, as it can be basically any scenario, as long as it casts the main protagonists, but it will end up being a battle against the drug cartel in the end anyway.

Halo - less mainstream potential, but much bigger and more dedicated fan-base. That is also its biggest threat, any sidestepping from the canon will bring it ire of the fans, and the entire movie and the movie-making process will be scrutinized more closely bringing lots of potentially bad PR. The cast will probably end up being a ton of B-List up-and-comers (see Starship Troopers for reference). To make a feature film, it would cost hundreds of millions, so I think MS is doing wisely to keep its scope smaller and go the TV-route. If invested and done properly, it could be bigger than Stargate or Galactica, and the competition right now is not that big.

By putting Uncharted in the summer prime time slot, Sony is signaling a huge investment in it, but in the end, we could just get another Green Lantern.