By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - This new found certainty of Nintendo fans that the Wii U will end up 2. is kinda unfounded

Do you think the Wii U will finish second this gen?

Yes 313 58.07%

No 165 30.61%

Results 60 11.13%

Total:538
DerNebel said:
In the first half of 2014 the X1 has outsold the first half of 2013 for the Wii U by about 2 to 1 and now people jump to the conclusions that the Wii U will be second because the Wii U (second year) is slightly outselling the X1 (first year) for a couple weeks, while still being clearly behind overall even in 2014?

Bolded part is the part that proves that your argument is wrong. There are legitimate reasons to assert that Nintendo fans shouldn't jump the gun in proclaiming it... but that isn't one of them. And since it's your entire argument, it's quite simply a bad one.

Around the Network

People jump the gun all the time. Personally i enjoy it, it doesn't affect me in the slightest and i get to watch the amusing avoidance of previous claims when it turns out not to happen

Anyway, i do think the WiiU has a stab at second place. From my perspective the long term odds seem heavily stacked in the X1's favor, but you never know, the WiiU could pull it off.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Teeqoz said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Right now it looks like U will outsell One because it is a better value proposition -- I don't really care about the sales to date. Essentially, there is very little reason to buy a One over a 4. Most consumers will choose the 4 since it's the superior product given that the libraries are almost identical. However, the U offers a different product at a lower price with a different library. Some consumers will choose this option instead of a 4 or perhaps in addition to their 4. This is a broad generalization and One is going to sell some systems, but I think in the grand scheme it will hold true for now.

This could all change dramatically with new product, services or marketing and One could be on top of the industry by next year.

No, it could not. Although there's alot yet to happen in this gen, it's obvious that the One wont pass the PS4 any time soon (most likely ever).

To say something can't happen is to be blind. MS could buy COD and FF and GTA exclusivity and drop the price by $100 and they would easily make up the 4 million unit difference in a year. Likely? No, of course not, but not impossible.  

So I'm blind because I say that the One wont pass the PS4 anytime soon?

Aielyn said:
DerNebel said:
In the first half of 2014 the X1 has outsold the first half of 2013 for the Wii U by about 2 to 1 and now people jump to the conclusions that the Wii U will be second because the Wii U (second year) is slightly outselling the X1 (first year) for a couple weeks, while still being clearly behind overall even in 2014?

Bolded part is the part that proves that your argument is wrong. There are legitimate reasons to assert that Nintendo fans shouldn't jump the gun in proclaiming it... but that isn't one of them. And since it's your entire argument, it's quite simply a bad one.

Yeah, no it really doesn't. Jumping the gun because of a couple good weeks is completely irrational, it's the same thing you did last holiday season, when you declared that the Wii U was not having any trouble in Japan anymore and that it wouldn't drop sub 10k over there anymore either because it had a good holiday season, just to then be proven completely wrong a couple weeks later.

DerNebel said:
Aielyn said:
DerNebel said:

Yeah, no it really doesn't. Jumping the gun because of a couple good weeks is completely irrational, it's the same thing you did last holiday season, when you declared that the Wii U was not having any trouble in Japan anymore and that it wouldn't drop sub 10k over there anymore either because it had a good holiday season, just to then be proven completely wrong a couple weeks later.

Says the guy with "The PS4 will outsell the WiiU and 3DS combined" in his sig...

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Everything is pretty much irrelevant as long as the Xbox One is not selling more than WiiU on a weekly basis. It may have sold more in it's first year, but if it wasn't enough to close that gap than it never matters. It could just as well stay over 1.5m behind forever and then Xbox One isn't going to get anywhere WiiU won't. Reality is, at this point it's still just as much wishful thinking for the Xbox One to end this generation in second place as it is for WiiU because there's nothing (not even Halo) that's going to guarantee a victory more-so than anything Nintendo puts out.

This. I get what the OP is saying, but the WIi U is in 2nd NOW. They dont even have to outsell the xboxone, just do about the same and they will stay their. Reminds of Vita versus Wii U. Still waitng for Wiii U to pass that

phaedruss said:
goulibouli said:

Yes, it will. Why? Because it doesn't compete with XOne and PS4 and is way cheaper/smaller.

PS4 and Xbox One are so similar in specs, offer, market and games, that they'll only be one winner this time, and as of now PS4 sold 157% what Xbox One sold, and predictions are not set to reverse.

So if ever people buy a second console on the cheap, it won't be the Xbox One (or PS4 if they bought a One) but a Wii U.

What makes you so certain that people are more likely to buy a wii u rather than an xbox one or a ps4?

Did you even read his post? Let me guess all that caught your attention was the bolded part. He clearly states that the advantage to be sold as a secondary console is for the wii u. At not point was it said the wii u will be a better purchase then the ps4 or xbone. And I completly agree, most people last gen had a t least 2 consoles, and right now the best combo is ps4+wiiu.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

KLXVER said:
DerNebel said:

Says the guy with "The PS4 will outsell the WiiU and 3DS combined" in his sig...

That was a prediction I made more or less for fun and I even said from the start that it's not a very safe prediction to make.

DerNebel said:

Again, wrong. Wii U has outsold Xbox One worldwide in both May and June, and is currently outselling it in July. What you're doing is ignoring the fact that the Xbox One got a price cut and outsold the Wii U for just three weeks, and acting as though we can only count the Wii U outselling the Xbox One based on weeks-in-a-row rather than longer term sales numbers.

The reason why Nintendo fans shouldn't be so confident is actually that, just as the Wii U got a major hit that drove its sales up to where they are now, so too could the Xbox One get such a hit. It's too early to make assumptions, not because of weeks-in-a-row, but because one little change can make a big difference, and that means you need more than just a few months.

DerNebel said:

At least it hasn't dipped below 2k in Japan! Or below the Wii or PSP globally this year!  (I'm pretty sure...)

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016