By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Beta PS4 vs Xbox One Screenshot Comparison: Many Similarities, Quite a Few Differences

Yet again, gamma is totally fucked on the Xbox One. It has been 9 years Microsoft, fix it!

Around the Network

The Xbox (or the grabber) not only crushed the blacks but also the whites.
On the other Hand: PS4 has no real blacks. Looks like the midtones are way too high. The screens are lacking contrast.

KLXVER said:
I think you guys are trolling me, but thats fine

Nah, you're just new to this I'm sure. Read bananaking's post again.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Both look great, fair play to Bungie.

This thread is an experiment in human psychology! You can clearly see that the XB1 version is darker and sometimes to the point of missing detail entirely, but here we are with some people saying they can't see the difference or the XB1 version is 'brighter'. It's simply mind-blowing.

I'm going to be fascinated to see a comparison of the two games when it isn't upscaled (which causes the high contrast/crushing) on the XB1 and it runs at a native 1080p. This inability to see something that's clearly visible simply because it doesn't fit a 'needed' narrative is pretty damned scary when you think about it.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

This thread is an experiment in human psychology! You can clearly see that the XB1 version is darker and sometimes to the point of missing detail entirely, but here we are with some people saying they can't see the difference or the XB1 version is 'brighter'. It's simply mind-blowing.

I'm going to be fascinated to see a comparison of the two games when it isn't upscaled (which causes the high contrast/crushing) on the XB1 and it runs at a native 1080p. This inability to see something that's clearly visible simply because it doesn't fit a 'needed' narrative is pretty damned scary when you think about it.

Some of the X1 shots look brighter to me, too, and if you call me a Microsoft fanboy I will laugh so hard.  I don't really care about the technical terms or if it "looks brighter but really isn't," either.  In at least two screenshots, the X1 version is a bit too bright for my tastes, as I'm someone who usually keeps brightness down.

Ok so since this is because of the upscaler in Xbox One doesn't that mean the final product will be much better than now since it won't need that upscaler?

jlmurph2 said:
Ok so since this is because of the upscaler in Xbox One doesn't that mean the final product will be much better than now since it won't need that upscaler?

Yes. When the game is 1080p it should look identical to the PS4 version and those details that are totally lost in the dark areas should be visible.

The PS5 Exists. 

Why is the Xbox 1 version so dark?

Everything is lost in the shadows...

KLXVER said:
I think you guys are trolling me, but thats fine

What is the argument here? If you can't see what they're saying, then you have a vision problem.

On these pics, the x1's shots have darker blacks and brighter whites. It's a contrast problem. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's done purposely. The same issue exists on 360. It's literally a fact.

Use your phone, go to camera. Take a photo of your room, and then play with the contrast and saturation settings.

In that pic you posted, look where the little sandbag things are on the left of the big building thing. The shadows they cast are super dark. The only reason other things in the ps4 version are darker (things way in the background) is because of the higher resolution, and possibly a lighting effect due to the "time of day". There are a couple other pictures where time of day had some effect on lighting as well...presumably because the lighting source (the sun) is in a different position.