By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Third party games are not a selling point for the XB1.

They aren't for the Wii U either. But for, you know, other reasons...

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Rab said:
Did Inferior ports affect the PS3?

You know why it didnt? Because the ps3 had a lot of first party exclusives that people where happy to get and loose a little quality in the multyplats for. But the xbox aside from halo wich is on the decline, has no good first partys that ,ake people want to take the lower quality multyplats for. Its a give and take, but the xbox has no give this time around.

Nice answer, first party/exclusive games are very important to any console, sadly Microsoft will learn the hard way 

That doesn't make any sense. Of course 3rd party games are going to help the system, just not to the same extent as the PS4.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Rab said:
Did Inferior ports affect the PS3?

At first yes it did, very much so. Especially in the FPS genre. PS3 eventually came out with great exclusives though like GoW, LBP, GT5, and TLoU though. There were several other factors for and against as well, but more quality exclusives certainly didn't hurt.

Also, the gap between PS4 and XB1 ports is much larger than PS3 vs XB360. It's not just the graphics and quality, it's the exclusive content for these games that PS4 keeps getting more and more of.

Experimental42 said:

Bolded - Explain this to me. If you're not buying XB1 exclusives, why aren't you getting a PS4? It's the same price, has the exact same games in that case, makes those games look and run better, and offers exclusive content in those games that you won't get with the XB1 version.

Exclusive content in which games? A couple of Ubisoft games and Destiny? You make it seem as if every 3rd party title has exclusive PS4 content when not even 25% of 3rd party games have some exclusive content. Hell, is there even any exclusive Destiny content or is it all timed exclusive? If so then that leaves a couple of Ubisoft titles. If it's only timed exclusive then that opens the door for a ton of Xbone games as both consoles have deals for various games.

Why you would buy one console over another if you have no interest in the platform holders games would probably boil down to the same thing as last gen since it was basically a wash last gen too. Things like controller, user interface, reliability, availability, price, what your friends have, etc etc. And hey maybe for a majority of people that means PS4. But for many it means Xbox One. To say they have no selling power is just incorrect.

Experimental42 said:

The answer is you don't get the XB1 to play third party titles.

Conclusion: Third party titles are not going to be moving XB1s.

I don't know anyone who buys a console with zero interest in exclusive games. I know plenty of people who buy consoles based on all the games they will get to play. If someone isn't interested in MicroSony games then they probably won't buy a MicroSony console this soon.

Experimental42 said:

The advantage Nintendo offers is a much wider audience for Nintendo first party games than there is for Microsoft first party titles. Halo is on the decline, and even at its highest moments it just doesn't compete with the Mario franchise and Gears doesn't compare to Zelda as a franchise.

The fact Nintendo games are so varied is another boost for a system relying on first parties to survive, and that's something XB1 lacks. XB1's biggest exclusives are mech shooter, alien shooter, alien shooter, zombie shooter, car sim. Well blow me away, that's some variety. Nintendo's biggest exclusives are platformer, adventure, jrpg, character action, kart racer.

Nintendo has almost entire genre's exclusively to itself for the foreseeable future.

Given the lackluster sales of the Wii U in its year plus on the market, one could easily say those Nintendo franchises are on the decline too. I mean, is MK8 going to reach MK Wii numbers? Nope. NSMB WiiU sits over 20,000,000 behind NSMB Wii right now. Do you see Smash Bros on Wii U selling more than 10 million? I sure don't. But that's ok, I agree that Nintendo has a better 1st party portfolio than MS. That's ok with me. Because with a MS console I can also play Titanfall, Evolve, Dragon Age, Wolfenstein, Sniper Elite III, Madden NFL, among many other games that in some cases might squeeze a little more pixels on PS4, but that's a hell of a lot better than the Wii U route which is the games simply don't exist at all. It's not a bad trade off. And please, don't talk to me about variety in Nintendo games. Mario Golf. Mario Kart. Mario 3D World. Mario Bros Wii U. It's add-on Super Luigi Wii U. Nintendo games are nice, but there certainly isn't an abundance of variety going on. You don't need to preach to me about the Wii U library, I own the console.

By the way, MS also has a platformer. And an upcoming adventure exclusive. I don't think it has a JRPG coming but there is Scalebound. There's also character action. And don't forget Horizon is coming this year so it has the car sim AND more arcadish styles covered. And by the way if you get tired of MS's forray into these genres don't forget there are loads of 3rd party titles coming. If you don't like Nintendo's versions of these games then in most cases you are SOL. Good luck. And that bolded sentence at the end just makes my point for me. Nintendo having a literal "monopoly" on some genres is awesome I guess.. if you like Nintendo games. If not then I guess you dun goofed buying a Nintendo console.

Experimental42 said:

You also missed the entire point of my mental exercise. If you can't find someone who will buy XB1 without wanting its first person exclusives, you can't find someone that would buy an XB1 for third party titles. This means third party titles are not a selling point for the system. Period. There is no counter argument here. That's why no single post has offered a counter point, it doesn't exist. There's factual data showing this with WD sales and there's going to be more with Destiny sales.

I can't find anyone who would buy any console without being at least somewhat interested in the games it has because I have smart friends I guess, idk.

There are a couple of main flaws in your entire argument. #1 is you used Watch Dogs as an example of the difference in 3rd party games. Watch Dogs is not the norm when it comes to exclusive content between the two consoles. Your article also says because of better exclusive content, "all major 3rd party games will be better on PS4". This just further shows you must have no idea about which games have deals with which console. #2, you put entirely too much weight on the notion that people buy the consoles with zero interest in exclusives. There are plenty of people who enjoy MS games AND enjoy AAA 3rd party support. For these people, 3rd party support is a selling point for Xbone. The idea that more people are interested in Nintendo games than there are people interested in MS games is irrelevant here simply because Nintendo's 3rd party support is just so awful. No way of getting around that.

Around the Network

I see the point, and yes, X1 is in a much more dire situation than its launch and/or Third party supports indicates.
It is the console with weaker and fewer first party, but it will heavily depend on them.

That doesn't mean that having third party support is not going to help though.

There are two points we still have to wait and see:
1- Will the "PS4 is always better" reach the mainstream/casuals?
I'm talking here about those who don't watch IGN comparison videos and don't read Digital Foundry. Are they going to listen about FPS/Resolution? If they do, are they going to care (or understand it)?

2- How much will be the difference when Destiny comes? Watch Dogs was reasonably agnostic, but Destiny has a ton of PS4 advantages. That will say a lot about X1 third party effect.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Exclusive content in which games? A couple of Ubisoft games and Destiny? You make it seem as if every 3rd party title has exclusive PS4 content when not even 25% of 3rd party games have some exclusive content. Hell, is there even any exclusive Destiny content or is it all timed exclusive? If so then that leaves a couple of Ubisoft titles. If it's only timed exclusive then that opens the door for a ton of Xbone games as both consoles have deals for various games.

With developers these days you can never really tell if something is exclusive or timed exclusive anymore. Destiny was supposed to be a 1 year timed exclusive for XB1, and look how that turned out. In the end it doesn't really matter if it's only timed exclusives, because most games, but not all, get a majority of their sales in the first two weeks or so. Are you really thinking someone not invested in either system will wait for a few howevers to get access to their exclusive content on an inferior version?

Every multiplat on XB1 is inferior to the PS4 version in some way shape or form. Not every release has full on exclusives, but the two bggest multiplats of the year so far, WD and Destiny, have massive bonuses for the PS4, including advertising. You can bet Sony will be working hard to snatch up bonuses for as many major multiplats as they can going forward. They want to kill the XB1 so they no longer have and real competition.

You also don't need to want a single PS4 exclusive to justify buying a PS4 as a console gamer. You can easily justify buying a PS4 for Watch Dogs, CoD, Destiny, etc. If you bought an XB1 just for Watch Dogs, CoD, Destiny, etc., you can't really justify it without just looking stupid.

Experimental42 said:

LudicrousSpeed said:

You also don't need to want a single PS4 exclusive to justify buying a PS4 as a console gamer. You can easily justify buying a PS4 for Watch Dogs, CoD, Destiny, etc. If you bought an XB1 just for Watch Dogs, CoD, Destiny, etc., you can't really justify it without just looking stupid.

Really? Ever heard of thing called friends?

Where's Seece? Surely he could explain all of this in an unbiased way.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Experimental42 said:

Really? Ever heard of thing called friends?

We're assuming all things being equal here.