By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Wii U beating Xbox One even after price drop! What happened to the 360 fans?

FATALITY said:
Farsala said:
Price is a big issue with loyalty. See PS3.

i think what saved ps3 was loyalty. and the lack of internet of course

PS3 seemed to have the highest rated games, and became on par in price to the 360 in late years though.

I mean since 2006 PS3 had been known that some awesome exclusives might come like MGS4, FFXIII and FF Versus XIII, Last Guardian. Not many of those were true, but many people thought that the PS3 still had a good selection coming.

Xbox brand has only been successful when its console was around 100$ cheaper then the PS brand. I think that is where Xbox needs to be to stay competetive. Nintendo has very little options, because gamecube was cheaper then PS2 but still lost. And again Wii U is cheaper then PS4 and is losing.

Around the Network
gamemaster4747 said:

Before reading, know this is not a troll article. I am not putting down Xbox One owners, even though I do not like Xbox myself.

I am surprised that Xbox One is doing so poorly after the price cut. Where is the loyalty of the 360 fans?

Let me know in the comments why you think the Xbox brand is failing right now even after all the improved changes MS has made. I don't have much time for responses, but I will read your comments. If I have the time, I will respond. Thanks.

What happened to the 360 fans? They got a PS4.

Xbone could most likey have sold the same as wii u this week if it had been available in more countries.

Don't copy random editorials.

ThatDanishGamer said:

Xbone could most likey have sold the same as wii u this week if it had been available in more countries.

Well thats their problem. Sony and Nintendo were able to release in more countries. You would think a company bigger than both of them combined would be able to as well.

The fact that they delayed it in so many countries probably made the people pissed and got a PS4 instead.

They are all going to the PS4

A cheaper console with a Mario Kart 8 boost outsold a console with no big release in the past weeks. Wow.

Around the Network

padib said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What happened to some of the 47 Million N64 owners who started migrating towards the xbox (Goldeneye to Halo)? What did the PS2 gamers play before and after they moved to the 360?

Honestly, it's not because the numbers for the twins add up to 160M that they were all PS2 owners.

Another thing, the latest argument for TLOU:R is that many PS4 fans don't own PS3s. If that's true, then it seems like there is a lot more movement than we like to think. Some start gaming, some stop, we really have no idea what happens to owners between gens.

One more point, we know that the PS2 did very well in Japan and in developing countries. Did those people all buy 360s?

Related is the fact that the sales for the twins in the US exceeded by far the sales of the PS2:

PosPlatformNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 53.65 55.28 23.18 25.57 157.68
6 PlayStation 3 (PS3) 28.56 32.98 10.05 11.39 82.98
7 Xbox 360 (X360) 47.25 25.23 1.66 8.45 82.59

twins total in US = 76M vs 53.65M for PS2.

Also, the numbers in Japan don't add up to twins = PS2. (11.70M vs 23.18M)

The Nintendo 64 never sold 47 million, It sold 32 million according to Nintendo.

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-wii-sales-outstrip-n64-3120987/

The PS4 userbase is regrowing back to a state in between the PS3 era and the PS4 era with interruption from Microsoft. This means the highest the PS4 can sell this gen is around 100 Million and it wont go further than that. MS halved the third party crowd who don't care about loyalty. Remember, it was Sony who grew the size of the market to where it is today. The Wii crowd is not returning unless another fad occurs with a displosable pleasure console and MS isn't growing the market themselves but rather making their console as close to Sony as possible so they can stop them from growing their marketshare. Microsoft walked out of their first gen with only 24 million consoles sold. Rare wasn't the heart and soul of Nintendo but rather were a great company to own for another crowd, which Nintendo didn't cater to using first party.

I will agree that MS did take from Nintendo as well even though their focus was on Sony. The Gamecube sales dropped by over ten million that gen.

N64: 32.93

GC: 21.74

11.19 M 

Now lets look at the sales of Rare games on the Xbox 360

Kameo: Elements of Power X360 2005 Adventure Microsoft Game Studios 0.27 0.02 0.00 0.03 0.32
Perfect Dark Zero X360 2005 Shooter Microsoft Game Studios 0.65 0.02 0.03 0.06 0.75
1 Viva Pinata X360 2006 Simulation Microsoft Game Studios 0.44 0.94 0.02 0.19 1.59
2 Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise X360 2008 Simulation Microsoft Game Studios 0.15 0.24 0.01 0.05 0.45
3 Viva Pinata: Party Animals X360 2007 Misc Microsoft Game Studios 0.18 0.02 0.00 0.02 0.21
1 Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts X360 2008 Platform Microsoft Game Studios 0.31 0.34 0.00 0.08 0.73

No....Rare fans did not follow Rare to Microsoft. The sales don't add up. The sales reflect the sentiments of the audience and they just were not around my friend. As I said, if there were Rare fans who followed them to MS it was a niche crowd.

The highest selling selling Rare game that MS has ever sold are these two...

1 Kinect Sports X360 2010 Sports Microsoft Game Studios 3.72 1.63 0.03 0.48 5.86
2 Kinect Sports: Season Two X360 2011 Sports Microsoft Game Studios 1.30 0.68 0.02 0.21 2.20

I assure you....this is not the Rare crowd. These were Kinect owners (1/4 of them) who wanted something to play while MS was trying to prove to the world that the Kinect was worth a damn.

Its obvious Microsoft was sitting on a good portion of of Sony's old marketshare. No huge portion went to Nintendo because the third party sales for the Wii are nothing compared to the PS2 generation even though the Wii sold 100 million units; therefore, it wasn't the same crowd. 

Sony's first gen

PlayStation (PS) 38.94 36.91 19.36 9.04 104.25
Nintendo 64 (N64) 20.11 6.35 5.54 0.93 32.93
Sega Saturn (SAT) 1.83 1.12 5.80 0.07 8.82

Results/Total : 146 M

Sony's second gen

PlayStation 2 (PS2) 53.65 55.28 23.18 25.57 157.68
Xbox (XB) 15.77 7.17 0.53 1.18 24.65
GameCube (GC) 12.55 4.44 4.04 0.71 21.74

Dreamcast (DC) 3.90 1.91 2.25 0.14 8.20

Total: 212.27M

Generational change: +66.27M

Results:

Sony: +53.43M

Nintendo: -11.19M

Sega: -0.62M

I think we can agree here from the change in results that Microsoft stepped on Nintendo's toes and Sony only grew from there. Sega's marketshare dropped by a little more than half a million according to VGChartz. The overall marketshare expanded because of Sony's grand increase of 53.45 M and Microsofts entrance combined with Nintendos loss and a portion attributed to Halo's sales and we have close enough to Microsofts overall sales for that generation. The closest we can get is an educated guess.

Sony's third gen

PlayStation 3 (PS3) 28.56 32.98 10.05 11.39 82.98
Wii (Wii) 45.24 33.75 12.76 9.28 101.03
Xbox 360 (X360) 47.25 25.23 1.66 8.45 82.59

Total: 266.6

Generational change: +54.33

Results:

Sony: -74.7

Nintendo: +79.29

Microsoft:+57.94

This generation was interesting. There was only a +54 M console increase with the Wii winning out. Sony lost 74.7 M gamers, and 57.9M (Rounded off to 58M and counting) of those went to Microsoft. Microsoft split it almost in half to be exact. There was an generational increase of 54.33M gamers who are unaccounted for so we cannot tell where they came from since the market grew off of Sony's stable growth of the overall console market and the Wii gamers are showing no signs of returning for the Wii U. Why might you ask? Those are not people who regularly game. MS lost the gen, but took a huge chunk out of Sony (which is a huge win for them). Being that the generational change had such results and Sony's loss of 74.7 M still doesn't add up. This proves that Microsoft did not contribute at all to industry growth. They only grew off of the back of Sony. Being that it still doesn't add up if you subtract the generational change by the Wii's growth ( 79.29-54.33) you get 24.96...which is remarkably close to the result of subtracting the Xbox's gains from Nintendo's gains, showing who in fact took the last chunk out of the PS2's marketshare. It was Nintendo. 

In the end...it was STILL Microsoft. The crowd they gained isn't loyal either. Sony grew them after decreasing Nintendo's marketshare upon entering the gaming industry and they mostly play third party games.

If there is an opinion on the Internet which has a lot of influence the people will follow this opinion. There were and are so many complains about the Xbox One and advantages of the PS4 that everyone believes that they should buy the PS4 instead of the Xbox One. It is the same thing with the Wii U. The people don't think themselves they just follow the mainstream and with a changing opinion on the Internet with Halo this year this might change but maybe it's too late because people usually don't change their minds.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

IkePoR said:

The Xbox One reveal(Kinect, DRM, used games, always online, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw )

E3 2013(lack of focus on games, lack of games)

$499 US Dollars

The Xbox "One-Eighty"

^Reasons.

WTF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss

Gamewise Xbox One had by far the best first year of all the next gen consoles out there and there last 2 E3 conferences were just game after game after game.

PS4 is lacking games for its first year and the launch games were not huge either. So far there are 3 exclusive AAA games and one of them is Knack.
WiiUs first year was just a bloody mess.

Real reasons:

1st) Sony hit that $399 pricepoint way before MS.

2nd) Sony outspends MS for advertisement in a HUGE way...in the US.

Through the end of May 2014, Sony had spent $59M to Microsoft’s $34.7M. Sony spent the most on networks like FOX, FOX Sports, Comedy Central, ESPN and TNT.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/06/29/sony-dramatically-outspending-microsoft-in-ps4xbox-one-tv-ad-campaigns/

3rd) Don Mattrick just got crazy during his last days at MS and fucked up. The bad part was not the DRM, it was the way they sold it. #dealwithit on twitter and support questions on Twitter became corporate statements, because nobody had a clue wtf was going on. I still think DRM with streaming games or sharing games offer some cool new features and I am buying 90% of my games digitally anyway. (Steam and XBL)

4th) Sonys marketing in Europe is just massive. Just to give you an idea: Sony is the main sponsor of the UEFA Champions League with their Playstation brand, but neither Sony nor the UEFA publish details on that partnership. Nissan is another main sponsor and pays up to $75 million per Season and I doubt Sony would pay much less. "Playstation" is a main sponsor since 1997.

5th) WiiU just got its Mario Kart.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
IkePoR said:

The Xbox One reveal(Kinect, DRM, used games, always online, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw )

E3 2013(lack of focus on games, lack of games)

$499 US Dollars

The Xbox "One-Eighty"

^Reasons.

WTF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss

Gamewise Xbox One had by far the best first year of all the next gen consoles out there and there last 2 E3 conferences were just game after game after game.

PS4 is lacking games for its first year and the launch games were not huge either. So far there are 3 exclusive AAA games and one of them is Knack.
WiiUs first year was just a bloody mess.

Real reasons:

1st) Sony hit that $399 pricepoint way before MS.

2nd) Sony outspends MS for advertisement in a HUGE way...in the US.

Through the end of May 2014, Sony had spent $59M to Microsoft’s $34.7M. Sony spent the most on networks like FOX, FOX Sports, Comedy Central, ESPN and TNT.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/06/29/sony-dramatically-outspending-microsoft-in-ps4xbox-one-tv-ad-campaigns/

3rd) Don Mattrick just got crazy during his last days at MS and fucked up. The bad part was not the DRM, it was the way they sold it. #dealwithit on twitter and support questions on Twitter became corporate statements, because nobody had a clue wtf was going on. I still think DRM with streaming games or sharing games offer some cool new features and I am buying 90% of my games digitally anyway. (Steam and XBL)

4th) Sonys marketing in Europe is just massive. Just to give you an idea: Sony is the main sponsor of the UEFA Champions League with their Playstation brand, but neither Sony nor the UEFA publish details on that partnership. Nissan is another main sponsor and pays up to $75 million per Season and I doubt Sony would pay much less. "Playstation" is a main sponsor since 1997.

5th) WiiU just got its Mario Kart.

So....you're saying that Sony's market popularity coming off of the latter end of the last gen coupled with marketing, price  and word of mouth never contributed to Sony reclaiming its natural spot of first place? 

Also...the bad part which could've killed it for MS was also the DRM exactly as it was, the way they sold it and the way they defended it. There was no way around it, because they would've made enemies of their fans and Gamestop. 

As for your link...

"I highly doubt even a wide TV advertising gap accounts for the sales disparity between the Xbox One and PS4, but it’s certainly interesting to consider as a data point. Given the fact that Microsoft actively encourages cable box integration directly into the Xbox One, I would think they might have focused a bit more heavily on TV. But if you’re using that functionality, I suppose you already own the console."- Your link

Lastly, I think I know why MS didn't outbudget Sony for advertising even though it didn't do much for either of them. They paid the NFL $400 million last year to be the official console of the NFL and Surface branding. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-nfl-deal-worth-400-million-report/1100-6408723/

KLXVER said:
ThatDanishGamer said:

Well thats their problem. Sony and Nintendo were able to release in more countries. You would think a company bigger than both of them combined would be able to as well.

The fact that they delayed it in so many countries probably made the people pissed and got a PS4 instead.

I agree, Microsoft failed to launch in more countries and is suffering (to some extent) from that.

Don't copy random editorials.