By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Wii U beating Xbox One even after price drop! What happened to the 360 fans?

They are probably going to sell off the Xbox division somewhere in the future, who knows maybe Nintendo will buy it from them. That or it's going to end up as a name used for part of their other software.

They created Xbox because they thought game consoles could become the central entertainment device of the household and Sony was becoming dominant.

Over a decade later it's phones and tablets that have taken that spot, and Microsoft is clearly moving to mobile.

Around the Network

A lot of them switched to PS4 because it does Call of Duty, Fifa, Assassin's Creed & co. better for the same price.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Devil_Survivor said:
I want to address some of the things in said the OP that I think are somewhat inaccurate.

1.I don't think a lot of 360 owners were owners of PS2s or PS1s. There are lot of people who started as Xbox OG owners and continued on to the 360 and now the One.

2.I hesitate to call any of the current consoles a 'failure' yet. I think Xbox One is isn't selling what Microsoft wants it to sell, however that said Its doing better than the 360 at this point in its life. You could argue that the Xbox brand is overall failure since its creation since it loses money for Microsoft.

Look at my post that I wrote to Padib. MS took well over 50 million gamers from Sony. There were only 24 million Xbox owners. They contributed little to nothing to the overall growth of the industry. I have the numbers all there.

I would but, I don't have all day to read long essays on the internet. The thing is are more consoles sold in the 7th generation than the 6th generation, so how do you account for that? Also how can we take you seriously when said the N64 sold 47 million when it only sold 32 million. 

Jon-Erich said:
A lot of 360 owners flocked to PlayStation 4. Microsoft pissed off a lot of Xbox loyalists last year just like how Sony pissed off a lot of PlayStation loyalists with PS3 causing them to flock to Xbox 360 and just like how Sega pissed off Sega loyalists with the Saturn causing them to flock to PlayStation.

The people who flocked back to Sony are apart of a market that Sony partially grew themselves and jumped ship to Microsoft during the 360 era. Look at the history and the numbers. Those were not loyalists, but rather third party fans that originally grew from the Nintendo era, jumped to Sony then Sony increased the marketsize again and MS shaved them off by being the first and only console in the first year of the 7th gen complete with an equivalent list of third party games (including third party exclusives and timed exclusives) to Sony. Sony launched a year later and had lacked some third party games due to Microsoft paying for timed excusivity and exclusivity of a lot of third party games.

Microsoft eyed key third party franchises that they knew Sony had power over third party games with during the previous gens..

1. MGS 

2. Tekken ( until last gen Tekken was exclusive to the Playstation brand)

3. Final Fantasy

4. Resident Evil

This was the first time MS ever truly posed a threat to Sony at E3. They basically cut major names from their exclusive third party franchise list.

Devil_Survivor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I would but, I don't have all day to read long essays on the internet. The thing is are more consoles sold in the 7th generation than the 6th generation, so how do you account for that? Also how can we take you seriously when said the N64 sold 47 million when it only sold 32 million. 

I never said the N64 sold 47 million, Padib did. I corrected him and then provided the numbers. Check it out when you have time. Again, Microsoft did not contribute to the industry growth, they just took gamers from Sony. By my calculations it was +57.94 of the -74.7 Sony lost and the rest went to the Nintendo Wii. Its also obvious because the third party sales add up for MS, but do not for Nintendo as well. The die hard third party fanatics from the PS2 era bought 360's and contributed to Microsofts third party sales. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:
IkePoR said:

The Xbox One reveal(Kinect, DRM, used games, always online, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw )

E3 2013(lack of focus on games, lack of games)

$499 US Dollars

The Xbox "One-Eighty"

^Reasons.

WTF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss

Gamewise Xbox One had by far the best first year of all the next gen consoles out there and there last 2 E3 conferences were just game after game after game.

PS4 is lacking games for its first year and the launch games were not huge either. So far there are 3 exclusive AAA games and one of them is Knack.
WiiUs first year was just a bloody mess.

Real reasons:

1st) Sony hit that $399 pricepoint way before MS.

2nd) Sony outspends MS for advertisement in a HUGE way...in the US.

Through the end of May 2014, Sony had spent $59M to Microsoft’s $34.7M. Sony spent the most on networks like FOX, FOX Sports, Comedy Central, ESPN and TNT.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/06/29/sony-dramatically-outspending-microsoft-in-ps4xbox-one-tv-ad-campaigns/

3rd) Don Mattrick just got crazy during his last days at MS and fucked up. The bad part was not the DRM, it was the way they sold it. #dealwithit on twitter and support questions on Twitter became corporate statements, because nobody had a clue wtf was going on. I still think DRM with streaming games or sharing games offer some cool new features and I am buying 90% of my games digitally anyway. (Steam and XBL)

4th) Sonys marketing in Europe is just massive. Just to give you an idea: Sony is the main sponsor of the UEFA Champions League with their Playstation brand, but neither Sony nor the UEFA publish details on that partnership. Nissan is another main sponsor and pays up to $75 million per Season and I doubt Sony would pay much less. "Playstation" is a main sponsor since 1997.

5th) WiiU just got its Mario Kart.

So....you're saying that Sony's market popularity coming off of the latter end of the last gen coupled with marketing, price  and word of mouth never contributed to Sony reclaiming its natural spot of first place? 

Also...the bad part which could've killed it for MS was also the DRM exactly as it was, the way they sold it and the way they defended it. There was no way around it, because they would've made enemies of their fans and Gamestop. 

As for your link...

"I highly doubt even a wide TV advertising gap accounts for the sales disparity between the Xbox One and PS4, but it’s certainly interesting to consider as a data point. Given the fact that Microsoft actively encourages cable box integration directly into the Xbox One, I would think they might have focused a bit more heavily on TV. But if you’re using that functionality, I suppose you already own the console."- Your link

Lastly, I think I know why MS didn't outbudget Sony for advertising even though it didn't do much for either of them. They paid the NFL $400 million last year to be the official console of the NFL and Surface branding. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-nfl-deal-worth-400-million-report/1100-6408723/

that is coming from the blogger. I just used this link, because it gave the numbers. What the blogger makes with it is another story.

And with the NFL thing you prove me right.
Sony spends the exact same amount on the UEFA Champions League for the Playstation for every year since 1997.
When MS does it with the NFL it is: "Ah look at them! All they do is marketing!"

You can do better than that Stage.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So....you're saying that Sony's market popularity coming off of the latter end of the last gen coupled with marketing, price  and word of mouth never contributed to Sony reclaiming its natural spot of first place? 

Also...the bad part which could've killed it for MS was also the DRM exactly as it was, the way they sold it and the way they defended it. There was no way around it, because they would've made enemies of their fans and Gamestop. 

As for your link...

"I highly doubt even a wide TV advertising gap accounts for the sales disparity between the Xbox One and PS4, but it’s certainly interesting to consider as a data point. Given the fact that Microsoft actively encourages cable box integration directly into the Xbox One, I would think they might have focused a bit more heavily on TV. But if you’re using that functionality, I suppose you already own the console."- Your link

Lastly, I think I know why MS didn't outbudget Sony for advertising even though it didn't do much for either of them. They paid the NFL $400 million last year to be the official console of the NFL and Surface branding. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-nfl-deal-worth-400-million-report/1100-6408723/

that is coming from the blogger. I just used this link, because it gave the numbers. What the blogger makes with it is another story.

And with the NFL thing you prove me right.
Sony spends the exact same amount on the UEFA Champions League for the Playstation for every year since 1997.
When MS does it with the NFL it is: "Ah look at them! All they do is marketing!"

You can do better than that Stage.

I wasn't discounting you, I was just stating that even the blogger admitted that his post wasn't essential at all to the bottom like via advertising dollars. I know that Sony pays for Soccer advertising in Europe, but the question is how much? When we find this out we'll know who pays more overall. Also, MS must've spent quite a bit of their Xbox company dollars on paying off EA for exclusives, timed exclusive games and exclusive content as well as the free Fifa games for Xbox One launch in Europe since they were so terrified Sony would do so well in Europe according to EA. :) 

There are no games (yet). But PS4 sells anyway because it is a more powerful system for the same price.

At least One is better than WiiU in NA.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

The Xbox one desperately needs those couple of thousand units that the wii u is making in Japan to reach second place during this gen.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P