By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Israel is getting out of hand

Israel left Gaza and began pulling out of the West Bank in 2005. Palestinians gave power to a radical group that began firing rockets at Israel. Egypt and Israel decided to blockade the region to prevent the group from getting supplies used to obtain weapons.

Hamas continually fires rockets at Israel. Rockets that do very little. The rockets don't pose a real threat to Israeli life. With an advanced rocket defense system and the low tech nature of the attacks, maybe 1 or 2 people will be killed in a month of rocket fire. Of course, any life lost is a tragedy, but it's clear that these attacks aren't going to take down Israel, or do much real damage. They're provocation.

They're provocation because Palestinians dying is good for Hamas. It increases hatred of Israel, and that hatred is what they use to rally people in support of them. It makes Israel look like murderers in the eyes of the international community (which may be fair since they are uhhhh you know murdering people) which they can use to apply international pressure for Israel to give into demands.

After about a week of bombing Egypt tried to broker peace between the two sides. Israel accepted and stopped firing. Hamas continued to fire rockets that would do absolutely nothing except provoke further attacks, and they made DEMANDS. How on Earth can a state with no real military strength make demands? What leverage do they have? The only leverage is their own dead citizens. They fire rockets from civilian locations, their leaders hide among civilians, and they hide rockets in schools (particularly in UN schools that were built to provide sanctuary to civilians).

Of course, Israel has a choice not to target these areas. These rockets don't produce much real human damage, and sparing hundreds of Palestinian civilians may only mean one of two casualties. Israel's policy seems to be that they are willing to kill dozens of Paletinians to save an Israeli life which is a stance I'm not sure I agree with.

However, whatever you want to say about Israel, you have to agree with this. Israel is a country whose primary interest is in the well being of its citizens. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Hamas. If and when a government rises to power in Palestinian that truly is looking out for their citizens, the war will end as it does not serve anyone's best interests.

Around the Network
anamme said:
I'm currently in Tel Aviv for work. I arrived a week before it all started, right when the Israeli boys were kidnapped and murdered. And then the Palestinian boy was murdered right after that, at which point Hamas started firing rockets all over Israel.

Obviously the news here will be biased in favor of Israel, but it seems Hamas is hiding their arsenals and rocketeers in public buildings such as hospitals and schools and in the citizens' homes. So though it upsets me knowing that so many innocent Palestinians have been murdered, what other choice does Israel have when it comes to eradicating these radicals?

I've never been in a 'combat' area such as this, and trust me it's scary when you have run and hide in bomb shelters day and night with sirens going off every two hours.

actually they have been firing rockets all year before increasing the rate "in protest" of the horrible murder of the palestinian teenager

JWeinCom said:
Israel left Gaza and began pulling out of the West Bank in 2005. Palestinians gave power to a radical group that began firing rockets at Israel. Egypt and Israel decided to blockade the region to prevent the group from getting supplies used to obtain weapons.

Hamas continually fires rockets at Israel. Rockets that do very little. The rockets don't pose a real threat to Israeli life. With an advanced rocket defense system and the low tech nature of the attacks, maybe 1 or 2 people will be killed in a month of rocket fire. Of course, any life lost is a tragedy, but it's clear that these attacks aren't going to take down Israel, or do much real damage. They're provocation.

They're provocation because Palestinians dying is good for Hamas. It increases hatred of Israel, and that hatred is what they use to rally people in support of them. It makes Israel look like murderers in the eyes of the international community (which may be fair since they are uhhhh you know murdering people) which they can use to apply international pressure for Israel to give into demands.

After about a week of bombing Egypt tried to broker peace between the two sides. Israel accepted and stopped firing. Hamas continued to fire rockets that would do absolutely nothing except provoke further attacks, and they made DEMANDS. How on Earth can a state with no real military strength make demands? What leverage do they have? The only leverage is their own dead citizens. They fire rockets from civilian locations, their leaders hide among civilians, and they hide rockets in schools (particularly in UN schools that were built to provide sanctuary to civilians).

Of course, Israel has a choice not to target these areas. These rockets don't produce much real human damage, and sparing hundreds of Palestinian civilians may only mean one of two casualties. Israel's policy seems to be that they are willing to kill dozens of Paletinians to save an Israeli life which is a stance I'm not sure I agree with.

However, whatever you want to say about Israel, you have to agree with this. Israel is a country whose primary interest is in the well being of its citizens. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Hamas. If and when a government rises to power in Palestinian that truly is looking out for their citizens, the war will end as it does not serve anyone's best interests.

that was very intersting to read :P

and i also heard rumors saying israel told the gaza citizens to evacuate since they didnt want innocents to die

just a rumour though :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

fighter said:
walsufnir said:
Only Israel refuses? Come on, this is wrong and you should know that. Hamas is *never* going to contract peace with Israel!

More interestingly though, how does Hamas manage to get all these rockets and generally weapons? Who is supporting them? Who doesn't want to stop this war behind the scenes?

I really appreciate your interventions in general walsufnir and this is no exception

Hamas has had so much help from international terrorist networks that one can hardly qualify this conflict as Israel vs Palestine.

this is perhaps the most precise documentary we have on how the network of Palestinian resistance extends :

http://vimeo.com/67054759

Thanks for the link, I'll watch it when I arrive at home!

A mess 5,000+ years in the making. The only real solution would be for people to stop looking at 'land' as anything holy. It's just land. 'The kingdom of God is within your heart', not a building or some dirt or even an entire continent.
All these people are essentially arguing about who owns what's and who did what's for various religious factions from the same monotheistic root. All 'children of Abraham'. It's fucking stupid to be honest.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

+ 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 

bubblegamer said:
walsufnir said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Israel

You know Wikipedia can be ''updated'' by anyone, right? You know the Russian Wikipedia say Ukraine shot down the Malesian plane that crashed a few days ago for example. I understand your views if the internet is what you're using to learn about history.

Holy fuck. This post actually takes the cake. The fact that you don't know that Israel existed before it re-founded in the 40s is mindblowing.

I felt pity for some of the people in here, but this is just bad.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I could say my opinion but people might say it didnt happen so ill just leave it there poor Gaza and Israel though

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

outlawauron said:
bubblegamer said:
walsufnir said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Israel

You know Wikipedia can be ''updated'' by anyone, right? You know the Russian Wikipedia say Ukraine shot down the Malesian plane that crashed a few days ago for example. I understand your views if the internet is what you're using to learn about history.

Holy fuck. This post actually takes the cake. The fact that you don't know that Israel existed before it re-founded in the 40s is mindblowing.

I felt pity for some of the people in here, but this is just bad.

How did it exist? I meant as a country, not a nation. Read the comment next time.

guys remember the 40s

Bets:

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?