By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FPS/Resolution 99% of people won't spot the difference!

mornelithe said:
Locknuts said:
sweetoothj said:

We can hardly tell the difference between ps4 and xbox one games because they are using the same assets in their games. The most 1080p will do is make it look sharper, that is about it. With that being said, I prefer playing multiplats on xbox one right now due to dedicated servers. Screw p2p bs.

Oh sweet! Do they let you choose your server from a lobby in most games? If so  I'd get a X1 over a PS4.

Doesn't matter anyway, his claims are false.  Both the PS4 and XB1 have dedicated servers.

So it's not P2P? Wow I didn't know that. I was against paying to play online but if the games all have dedicated servers that would be worth it for sure. Can you choose from a list of servers on PS4?

Edit: Sorry for the slight derail.

Around the Network

More power is always better than less power; it gives you the choice how to allocate the extra power; easy as that.
PS4>One(hardware, power), It's better to accept the obvious, rather than turning around. In the end every console can deliver a great game experience.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

lukibrasil said:
they are just a little different but yea if I played it on both consoles I would think it would be the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqWRACk2zY

Is that resolution and fps or only textures and lighting. The difference is obvious, but I can't clearly attribute that to resolution and fps.

I'm pretty sure I can't see the diff between 1080 and 900. I can see the difference between 720 and 1080 but I don't think we have that situation between Xb one and PS4.

And why tdo these articles quote people from studios I've never heard of before, and will probably never hear of again?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

2 weeks ago I played Borderlands 2 PC and was downsampling from 4k.(games look so fucking fantastic when there is no aliasing at all!) The game was barely playable and I was skyping with a friend and told him "if I had to guess i'd say it runs with 16-18 frames per second" because he was thinking about getting a 4k monitor and asked me for advice and if my GPU could handle 4k (his is a bit slower) then I used fraps and what did I get? 16-18 FPS

:)

Resolution is harder since our eyes have no good motion resolution AND there is no normal consumer TV/Monitor that has 1080p motion resolution. If a game is in slowmo or its a still you can see it but when playing a game its barely noticeble.

absolutely easy as hell to tell the difference,takes 1 second especially if you see it side by side

Around the Network
Locknuts said:

So it's not P2P? Wow I didn't know that. I was against paying to play online but if the games all have dedicated servers that would be worth it for sure. Can you choose from a list of servers on PS4?

It's the same on both consoles.. Sony and MS exclusives have dedi servers, third party games = it's up for the devs to decide what to do.

And no, you can't pick servers. Consoles don't "do" servers like PC games do. That goes for both xb1 and ps4.

crissindahouse said:

It's not really a surprise that most gamers play in a"normal" environment with a table and stuff like that between them and the TV. That's pretty much how everyone I know lives and when I see people on TV they also live like that. In gaming forums I always read how people sit 2 meters away of their 55 inch screen and I always wonder if they even have something like a table to put something like a glass on it... I mean, I really play like that from time to time and it looks pretty weird when the armchair is that close to the TV. It's clearly a special gaming environment and most don't have that.

I doubt playing in the living room is the normal environment. Some play in dorm rooms, close to the tv or monitor, others in their bedroom. I have my man cave with projector and comfy couch with cup holders. And before wireless controllers I was always close to the tv...
TV's keep getting bigger as well, sit 8ft away from a 60" screen mounted on the wall, plenty room for a table.

Native 1080p first for me. I've lived with the console blurries for 20 years. (FF7 with projector on 72" screen, that was blurry :) Not that 720p is bad, just takes a bit longer to get used to, harder to identify / see things coming on screen.

Locknuts said:
mornelithe said:
Locknuts said:
sweetoothj said:

We can hardly tell the difference between ps4 and xbox one games because they are using the same assets in their games. The most 1080p will do is make it look sharper, that is about it. With that being said, I prefer playing multiplats on xbox one right now due to dedicated servers. Screw p2p bs.

Oh sweet! Do they let you choose your server from a lobby in most games? If so  I'd get a X1 over a PS4.

Doesn't matter anyway, his claims are false.  Both the PS4 and XB1 have dedicated servers.

No idea if you can choose from a list, don't have a Ps4, just google'd it :)  PS4 has dedicated servers, and also allows for private (which are P2P), but I would imagine the private servers are developer dependant.

Most non hardcore gamers will not notice the difference between 900p and 1080p.  
I myself have trouble telling a 30fps game from 60fps, and cant really tell a difference between 900/1080 though screen tearing is obvious.

Also, bigger res. differences like 720-1080 are a lot more obvious...when playing titanfall, I noticed that it did not look near as good as some of the other games I had played such as F5, or Ac4.

thetonestarr said:
kupomogli said:

I've been trying to get people to understand this for ages. Thank you.

Also worth noting is that a difference in resolution in *screenshots* is significantly more noticeable than the difference in active gameplay/video.

Personally, I notice sub-native resolutions far more in motion than screenshots because minor edge aliasing turns into edge shimmering which is more apparent and much more pronounced than when rendered at native resolution.