By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FPS/Resolution 99% of people won't spot the difference!

When watching Netflix and at the start it's sometimes buffering the stream and the resolution changes up you can see the difference between the bumps in resolution no problem, there is compression but still the difference in resolution is blindingly obvious! Higher resolution matters, looking forward to 4K, for the those that can't tell the difference, at least you'll save money.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

It's more likely the TV rather than the resolution that's making it look terrible. A decent 1080p display would actually upscale the image to 1080p for you reducing the difference.

My PS3 games look way better on my 1080p Panasonic plasma than they did on the 32" 720p Sony Bravia even if the native resolution was the same, it was just a much better quality panel with better colours as well as the higher resolution. This means comparing 720p on one display with 1080p on another is actually an apples to apples comparison. I'd suggest trying the PS3 on your monitor, but monitors don't have the same scaling capabilities as TVs (this is a big part of the reason PC monitors are so much cheaper than TVs)

480p looks lower resolution on a 6'2" Screen centimetres from your face than 720p does on a 42" TV from across the room. The Wii U pad is pixellicious whilst the TV a few foot away there's not a jaggy in sight on games like Mario 3D World.

You also sit really close to a PC monitor which makes the resolution more noticible. But the quality of the display device you are using makes a much bigger difference than simply the number of pixels on the screen.

"Really close"? No, i sit in the ideal distance. Sitting too far away from the TV as a "solution" to removing resolution issues is not a solution at all. There is an ideal distance for every screen size; it takes both your eye health and the ability to absorb pixel detail into account. If someone is sitting far enough to not notice the difference, than they are sitting too far; and that's their problem, in more ways than one. Not only will it hurt your eyes in the long run (too much strain by unconscious effort) but you'll also be missing out on graphical detail.

That 42" TV you talk about should not be "across the room". It should be ~5.5 feet in front of you. (less than 2 meters)

Glad to be in that 1%.

I've actually got a 46" TV which I'm sitting about 6foot from. I live in the UK, "across the room" isn't actually that far :p

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I can definitely tell higher resolutions in most cases. SD vs HD is a no brainer but 30 fps vs 60 fps is where it gets complicated.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
For resolution there's a marginal difference most won't notice unless they're looking at pictures side by side. Others won't notice even when they have comparison photos and videos.

Framerate is more noticeable. It's easy to notnice the difference between 60fps to 30fps visually. The people who try to make a big deal out of the button lag from 30fps though, most are bsing. It's a 16ms difference. That's 16 thousands of a second, 16/1000, which 99.9% of people won't notice. Even though visually 60fps is noticeable, running at a solid 30fps is good imo.

I think that instead of 1080p resolution. This gen should be 720p@60fps for all games instead. The visual difference that high resolution gives is marginal, but noticeable framerate drops and screen tearing are massive annoyances.

I've been trying to get people to understand this for ages. Thank you.

Also worth noting is that a difference in resolution in *screenshots* is significantly more noticeable than the difference in active gameplay/video.

SW-5120-1900-6153

So, 99% of people don't own big TVs?

I call bullshit.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

MikeRox said:
I've actually got a 46" TV which I'm sitting about 6foot from. I live in the UK, "across the room" isn't actually that far :p

then you're roughly where you should..

and it means 720p vs 1080p will be quite noticeable. Unless there's something wrong with your tv lol

Seeing as how we're on this topic, anybody here who, like me enjoys the benefits of 1080p, has tried playing a Wii U game both at a 720p TV and on the game pad? How different did it look and how many visual issues "transferred" to the pad? I don't know any person that owns one so I can't try

Raziel123 said:
MikeRox said:

then you're roughly where you should..

and it means 720p vs 1080p will be quite noticeable. Unless there's something wrong with your tv lol

Seeing as how we're on this topic, anybody here who, like me enjoys the benefits of 1080p, has tried playing a Wii U game both at a 720p TV and on the game pad? How different did it look and how many visual issues "transferred" to the pad? I don't know any person that owns one so I can't try

After upscaling, I wouldn't be able to tell you what the native resolution of a 720p or 1080p game is. I can tell SD material, but like most people, I needed digital foundry to tell me that PS3/360 games were sub HD natively before I knew that. As do most people. However I can clearly tell SD content both on TV and games consoles.

You will hate playing Wii U games on the pad if you're as sensitive as you say. I find all the artifacts degrading the image quality really annoying. (there's a lot of compression added to the image, see I can see all this, even if I don't really notice the end resolution as much ;)) there's also poor black levels with the pad. It looks infinitely better on a decent TV screen than it does on the cheap LCD display of the pad.

Tbh those beautiful 720p Wii U games look as good to me as anything in 1080p on PS4. Even if they're not as technically sophisticated. Wii U (720p upscaled to 1080p) vs PS4 (1080p native) on the same display is a big part of how I now I can't really discern the difference after upscaling.

There's a lot more to image quality than raw resolution.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

After upscaling, I wouldn't be able to tell you what the native resolution of a 720p or 1080p game is. I can tell SD material, but like most people, I needed digital foundry to tell me that PS3/360 games were sub HD natively before I knew that. As do most people. However I can clearly tell SD content both on TV and games consoles.

You will hate playing Wii U games on the pad if you're as sensitive as you say. I find all the artifacts degrading the image quality really annoying. (there's a lot of compression added to the image, see I can see all this, even if I don't really notice the end resolution as much ;)) there's also poor black levels with the pad. It looks infinitely better on a decent TV screen than it does on the cheap LCD display of the pad.

Tbh those beautiful 720p Wii U games look as good to me as anything in 1080p on PS4.

I can tell the res..

as for previous gen games being sub hd, that's not very relevant because the games that were sub-720p had a resolution that was still very close to it. Think, for instance, the difference between 720p and 792p. Something like that. And yeah, that's minor..noticeable (I "saw it" the minute i started playing Tools of destruction on PS3, but took me a while to realize what was going on), but minor. Nothing like 720p and 1080p where the difference is nearly as big as 480p and 720p. 

I don't appreciate upscaling, it cleans the image a bit but things are still blurry and jaggied.

edit: I should add that games with art style like Nintendo suffer a bit less. Not necessarily because of general IQ but the lack of detail in all surfaces of "cartoony" games. To use a simple example; if a certain table is merely a splash of red from one side to another, without any holes, scratches, indentations etc, it's not going to benefit much from a higher resolution because there is no "detail" to bring out. On the other hand, a table that tries to come as close to what a real table looks like, then it'll need as much detail as possible; and in order to convey that detail, a high resolution is needed. Because the "detail is in the pixels".