By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FPS/Resolution 99% of people won't spot the difference!

MikeRox said:

Games aren't 720p on the Wii U pad. The vertical resolution of the Wii U pad is 480p.

If you notice a huge difference in the resolution, but don't notice all the artifacts that the broadcast to the Wii U pad adds to the picture (which looks absolutely horrible) your argument that 720p looks awful because you're used to 1080p doesn't add up. I think you might be experiencing a placebo effect.

What games have you been playing in 1080p since 2007? There aren't too many native 1080p games other than on PC and on PC you're right next to the screen. I forget the link, but there has been studies into resolution and it was something like to be able to notice any real difference between 720p and 1080p, you need to be less than 6ft from a 50" TV.

I've never used the pad, I don't have a Wii U yet.

What games? +300 games on Steam.

Around the Network

He's got the same PR virus as xbox's Harvey Eagle - Neither of them can see anything! They really need to get down to the doctors and get a sight and hearing test. 

"Yes, you have the perception challenge, you won't spot the difference"

Raziel123 said:
MikeRox said:

Games aren't 720p on the Wii U pad. The vertical resolution of the Wii U pad is 480p.

If you notice a huge difference in the resolution, but don't notice all the artifacts that the broadcast to the Wii U pad adds to the picture (which looks absolutely horrible) your argument that 720p looks awful because you're used to 1080p doesn't add up. I think you might be experiencing a placebo effect.

What games have you been playing in 1080p since 2007? There aren't too many native 1080p games other than on PC and on PC you're right next to the screen. I forget the link, but there has been studies into resolution and it was something like to be able to notice any real difference between 720p and 1080p, you need to be less than 6ft from a 50" TV.

I've never used the pad, I don't have a Wii U yet.

What games? +300 games on Steam.

Do you play them on a PC monitor or through your TV?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Shadow1980 said:

I'm sure he did a double-blind study with rigorous controls and a sufficient sample size and published his results in a reputable peer-reviewed journal. Either that, or he pulled that "99%" figure directly out of his ass. I can tell a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. Unless you have bad eyesight, you can't honestly say there's no difference. My roommate has a 720p TV while my plasma screen is full 1080p. Blu-rays and 1080p PS4 games just look astonishingly sharp compared to anything lower resolution. The clarity, the color, and the contrast are just wonderful to behold. Seeing a movie on Blu-ray on a 1080p plasma screen for the first time is what finally got me to upgrade to both an HDTV and Blu-ray. There's no turning back for me now.

That's because of the quality of your display as much as the resolution of the source material. If you're saying you can seriously see a huge difference between 720p and 1080p after all the upscaling that's taken place sitting a decent distance back from the screen than fair play to you, but I do have very good vision, I can easily tell you whether something is standard definition or high definition just from looking at it. However I really struggle to tell you what the native resoultion of games are.

People were saying Killzone was 1080p on PS4 then it turned out it actually wasn't as the resolution fluctuates depending on what's going on. I can't say I can really identify where the resolution adjusts, but I can certainly see where a frame drops.

wyluzuj said:

Sure, there is no difference :)

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/6/4/5/0/5/XO_057.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/6/4/5/0/5/PS4_057.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

I'm not sure if that is the best comparison as it is running on two different pieces of hardware.

A better comparison would be the rare cases where the same game on the same hardware ran on different resolutions

For instance

Next time you play a 1080p game, turn the output resolution to 720p and see if there is a difference.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

I play PC and PS4 on the PC monitor. PS3 on a 720p TV. PS3 looks terrible at 720p and I only used it for exclusives

You said the pad displays at 480p? hm. wikipedia says screen size is 6.2 inches? if that's so then even 480p is still good enough. Ofc that won't matter for people who want to play it on TV instead of the pad...in that case 720p isn't enough. But i won't be using my future Wii U on the TV...

720p (or rather, the different-aspect-ratio equivalent of it) was good enough for the old small monitors and TVs we used (4:3 @ 1024x768) in the old days

anything bigger needs more pixels if you're not gonna sit so far that you'll be squinting.

I'd like to meet the group who interviewed 6,975,540,000 people (going by world population census of 2012) on this subject.

and I forgot to add:

A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).

Raziel123 said:
MikeRox said:

I play PC and PS4 on the PC monitor. PS3 on a 720p TV. PS3 looks terrible at 720p and I only used it for exclusives

You said the pad displays at 480p? hm. wikipedia says screen size is 6.2 inches? if that's so then even 480p is still good enough. Ofc that won't matter for people who want to play it on TV instead of the pad...in that case 720p isn't enough. But i won't be using my future Wii U on the TV...

720p (or rather, the different-aspect-ratio equivalent of it) was good enough for the old small monitors and TVs we used (4:3 @ 1024x768) in the old days

anything bigger needs more pixels if you're not gonna sit so far that you'll be squinting.

It's more likely the TV rather than the resolution that's making it look terrible. A decent 1080p display would actually upscale the image to 1080p for you reducing the difference.

My PS3 games look way better on my 1080p Panasonic plasma than they did on the 32" 720p Sony Bravia even if the native resolution was the same, it was just a much better quality panel with better colours as well as the higher resolution. This means comparing 720p on one display with 1080p on another is actually an apples to apples comparison. I'd suggest trying the PS3 on your monitor, but monitors don't have the same scaling capabilities as TVs (this is a big part of the reason PC monitors are so much cheaper than TVs)

480p looks lower resolution on a 6'2" Screen centimetres from your face than 720p does on a 42" TV from across the room. The Wii U pad is pixellicious whilst the TV a few foot away there's not a jaggy in sight on games like Mario 3D World.

You also sit really close to a PC monitor which makes the resolution more noticible. But the quality of the display device you are using makes a much bigger difference than simply the number of pixels on the screen.

Well he's just stating the obvious.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54