By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FPS/Resolution 99% of people won't spot the difference!

This guy should work for the TV companies.. For years and years they have been working on boosting resolution when all this time 99% of us cant see the difference. He could help them save lots of money

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

I'd be willing to bet even a deaf man can spot the difference between 128kbps MP3 and CD/ lossless audio.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
99% of the people also dont get to play the same game on two different consoles to even notice a difference

This, however I could always tell you a game is running at 60fps or 30fps. I wouldn't however be able to tell you want the native resolution of a game is unless on a home console once the system and the TV have done all their scaling shennanigans.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

kupomogli said:
For resolution there's a marginal difference most won't notice unless they're looking at pictures side by side. Others won't notice even when they have comparison photos and videos.

Framerate is more noticeable. It's easy to notnice the difference between 60fps to 30fps visually. The people who try to make a big deal out of the button lag from 30fps though, most are bsing. It's a 16ms difference. That's 16 thousands of a second, 16/1000, which 99.9% of people won't notice. Even though visually 60fps is noticeable, running at a solid 30fps is good imo.

I think that instead of 1080p resolution. This gen should be 720p@60fps for all games instead. The visual difference that high resolution gives is marginal, but noticeable framerate drops and screen tearing are massive annoyances.

It really depends on the size, resolution and refresh rate of your TV. I hate making blanked statements like A is easier to spot than B when not everyone has the same setup. 

Around the Network
wyluzuj said:

Sure, there is no difference :)

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/6/4/5/0/5/XO_057.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/6/4/5/0/5/PS4_057.bmp.jpg/EG11/quality/90/format/jpg

But when we're playing we're not as close to the screen as we are when on a PC.

kupomogli said:

I think that instead of 1080p resolution. This gen should be 720p@60fps for all games instead.

No. 720p looks terrible for someone who's used to 1080p since 2007. On Wii U not a biggie because the gamepad screen is small enough for 720p to look good. But monitors and TVs need 1080p. Anything above ~18inches needs 1080p.

Nintentacle said:

But when we're playing we're not as close to the screen as we are when on a PC.

I am... i do all my gaming on my "PC monitor".

Though even with bigger screens most console gamers sit way too far from the TV. Explains why some have a harder time seeing the difference; they probably can barely see details and small text to begin with.

Raziel123 said:

Sure, if your sample looks like this

This. if resolution didn't matter, why the fuck not just stick with 720p and 60fps? Hell what's the point of movies being 1080p amirit?

Most users say PC is better, And they turn around and claim shit like this! lol gamers are so incosistant.

Raziel123 said:
kupomogli said:

I think that instead of 1080p resolution. This gen should be 720p@60fps for all games instead.

No. 720p looks terrible for someone who's used to 1080p since 2007. On Wii U not a biggie because the gamepad screen is small enough for 720p to look good. But monitors and TVs need 1080p. Anything above ~18inches needs 1080p.

Games aren't 720p on the Wii U pad. The vertical resolution of the Wii U pad is 480p.

If you notice a huge difference in the resolution, but don't notice all the artifacts that the broadcast to the Wii U pad adds to the picture (which looks absolutely horrible) your argument that 720p looks awful because you're used to 1080p doesn't add up. I think you might be experiencing a placebo effect.

What games have you been playing in 1080p since 2007? There aren't too many native 1080p games other than on PC and on PC you're right next to the screen. I forget the link, but there has been studies into resolution and it was something like to be able to notice any real difference between 720p and 1080p, you need to be less than 6ft from a 50" TV.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.