By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the lack of hype for....just about any game on wii?

Aside from Nintendo's own project's third parties seem to shoot themself in the foot by refusing to hype any of their game's on wii. Just about anything that get's announced on the 360 or PS3 is instant hype city. It can be some generic military shooter, but from day 1 gametrailers will be flooded with new videos, IGN will be interviewing the team working on it, new screens every week, trailer after trailer willl be revieled, new character art work sketches ect ect. New RPG OMG, they only need 1 trailer and the hype carries itself. An absolute flood of hype for just about anything that pops up. As a result? The belief that 50 AAA games are coming out this year!!!!!!!

The wii has alot of solid third party titles coming out this year. Unique games, high quality productions, solid looking efforts. And yet if you asked most people, they couldn't name two.

TOS Dawn of a new world, the sequel to one of the best JRPGs of last generation, a high quality production, good graphics, revamped gameplay, anime cut scenes, full voice acting, and almost a zero on the hype-ometer. Fragile, another JRPG from the makers of some of the most unique and solid RPGs of the last gen, baten kaitos and baten kaitos origins (I think it's the same team), looks really solid even if not much is known about it. Where does it register on the hype scale? It doesn't, few even know it exists.  Monster factory, an RPG with nearly limitless customization where you create your own monsters as a mad scientist to do your bidding, looks unique, creative, fun, with good graphics and no one even tries to cover the game's progress. White Knight Chronicles on PS3, DEAR GOD AAA DAY 1 PURCHASE!!! 

That's just one genre, I could pick others and display the same attitude and results.

Either the press refuses to cover or hype 3rd party games on the wii half as much as they do for other systems, or third parties don't even attempt to generate buzz for their games. With all the complaints of "well the wii just isn't a viable platform for anyone other than Nintendo" you don't see a single damn site or company trying to really create a litmus test to prove that right or wrong. You want to say the wii isn't as viable of a platform? Try actually hyping up a quality game and seeing how it performs.

But where does the blame lie? Is it the media not trying to cover anything? Third Parties for not giving them anything to cover? Maybe wii fans for just not caring? Thoughts? 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

I agree completely. Nintendo doesn't care they are already making a fortune off 1st parties and the ds and wii. 3rd parties need to get off their lazy asses and work hard to make their games sell well. Especially the ones who made/make high quality games.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31129.html

Looks good.

On topic: Beacuse the PS360 games get a lot of media.

Fatal frame IV? only a few pics
ToS? We need to see more battle footage
Disaste day of Crisis? o well..
FF Crystal bearers? omg, no comment....

well, on the ign front, they did plug zack and wiki non stop for like 5 months. they also devoted a lot of time to NMH.

There really just needs to be more 'great' 3rd games.

rumor is E3 is just a few months away....

^E3 is still in July, last I heard. Did they make it earlier?

Around the Network

Marketing/ advertising

Nintendo's markets its games as much as I market doody's I take

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:

Marketing/ advertising

Nintendo's markets its games as much as I market doody's I take

Yet another shameless plug for weezy's doody.

The strength of the Wii can not be shown in a video. When they show a trailer for a PS3 and 360 game, it gets hyped because it usually looks great. RPGs are supposed to be graphical showpieces ever since Square made FFVII. You can't get hype for Tales of Symphonia when it sits side by side with a video of FFXIII, they don't compare. The Wii's strength is in the controls, and unfortunately videos can't show that as easily as they can show off the graphics.

I also believe this is "partly" responsible for why magazines cover ps3 and 360 games more. They need flashy pictures to sell magazines and Wii does not do it for them. You'll also tend to notice that PSP and DS don't get a whole lot of coverage either. 

This is in addition to the third parties that put out lazy efforts with minimum marketing on the Wii, not to combat it. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

You realize that those games don't exactly have the same production values as the games announced for the PS3/360, right? They want to minimize cost and effort as much as possible because they think the same group of people will buy it and attempts to expand the audience by publicizing it is a waste. Whatever it's right or not, it's the curse of being on a Nintendo home console.

@onyxmeth

get off the meth. You don't need good graphics to have a good pic. rac: up your arsenal for ps2 had amazingly looking screenshots in an old issue of egm. That's cause game companies can use CGI to make the pics better than what they are.

OT:Guys don't worry, SALES OF WII GAMES PROVES THEMSELVES! Thw Wii already has 3 upcoming 1 million sellers that are 3rd party. Also, Wii games spread through word of mouth.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius