By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the lack of hype for....just about any game on wii?

maybe most of their are so casual?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
I completly endores everything that WordsofWisdom has said in this thread, and agree to the fullest extent.

If a title doesn't sell well on the Wii it's "niche". I wish that I could use that excuse everytime a PS3 game didn't sell.

Then, all the blame is put on the PS3 or 360 with comments like GGE (I'm paraphrasing) [Sony was supposed to be the market leader, and developers haven't had time to plan games on the wii because they were caught off guard by it's success]. Which is another bs excuse, but the good thing about that one, is that in about six to ten months, that excuse will be dead, because it would have been out for two years, and the whole "caught off guard thing" will be yesterday's news.

And finally, the most blame really belongs to the fanboys. They see a game, they hype it out of this world, say it will sell good, etc. Then when the game doesn't do that, they fall back on "it's a niche title.". Case-in-point, NiGHTS. There was a thread on this game a few months back, and a few users posted that they expected the game to sell a million, one even guessed a million and a half. And now the game has sold really low (under 200k right?), it's now a "Niche" title.

If Wii fanboys would spend half of the time they do pointing the finger at every thing, or stopped hyping every third-party game that will break this streak of badness, and spent that time actually reading about games, and making informed decisions on what games actually will be good, they wouldn't have to go around and look dumb when games don't meet their expectations.

Well that's why Disgaea didn't sell. That was a Niche title afterall... it only did 80K in japan LTD.

Some games actually are... you know Niche games. Because they are good but hit a limited audience fanboys hype them up to the level of how good the game actually is, instead of how well the game could be expected to sell.

Also... you seem to have missed the entire point of this thread... which was that Wii games weren't being hyped... as opposed to PS3 and 360 games which receive a lot more media and people hype when they are like Timeshift or Kane and Lynch or something.

So your blaming all wii owners for some people having unrealistic expectations because some people expect good but obscure titles to sell well.

So, should people start holding you to things Crazyman says?

I think the point is, there isn't enough hype... and lack of hype you know, hurts sales.

Magazine and website coverage does help sales wouldn't you think

Ask Lair or Heavenly Sword. 

I understood what the thread was about, but GGE wanted to go on a tangent and start hurling insults at other systems, so I had to check him/her/it.

Steve 3.2 said:
Most third party games on the Wii don't deserve any hype. That's why!

Thanks for the original thought that obviously wasn't mentioned or discussed at all elsewhere in this thread, brah. You've done the forums a great service by your posting, and thus, I salute you.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

i blame sq enix. i know there's plenty of blame to go around, but i figure i'll just blame one company.

thanks for a ff game with no combat and a dq game for children. maybe we can get a real game sometime soon.

tastyshovelware said:
i blame sq enix. i know there's plenty of blame to go around, but i figure i'll just blame one company.

thanks for a ff game with no combat and a dq game for children. maybe we can get a real game sometime soon.

Wait. Their Wiiware FF won't have combat?

I can't explain why, but that's the first thing I've heard that's piqued my interest in this title. I'm gonna go and scope out all those previews I ignored on IGN.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
I completly endores everything that WordsofWisdom has said in this thread, and agree to the fullest extent.

If a title doesn't sell well on the Wii it's "niche". I wish that I could use that excuse everytime a PS3 game didn't sell.

Then, all the blame is put on the PS3 or 360 with comments like GGE (I'm paraphrasing) [Sony was supposed to be the market leader, and developers haven't had time to plan games on the wii because they were caught off guard by it's success]. Which is another bs excuse, but the good thing about that one, is that in about six to ten months, that excuse will be dead, because it would have been out for two years, and the whole "caught off guard thing" will be yesterday's news.

And finally, the most blame really belongs to the fanboys. They see a game, they hype it out of this world, say it will sell good, etc. Then when the game doesn't do that, they fall back on "it's a niche title.". Case-in-point, NiGHTS. There was a thread on this game a few months back, and a few users posted that they expected the game to sell a million, one even guessed a million and a half. And now the game has sold really low (under 200k right?), it's now a "Niche" title.

If Wii fanboys would spend half of the time they do pointing the finger at every thing, or stopped hyping every third-party game that will break this streak of badness, and spent that time actually reading about games, and making informed decisions on what games actually will be good, they wouldn't have to go around and look dumb when games don't meet their expectations.

Well that's why Disgaea didn't sell. That was a Niche title afterall... it only did 80K in japan LTD.

Some games actually are... you know Niche games. Because they are good but hit a limited audience fanboys hype them up to the level of how good the game actually is, instead of how well the game could be expected to sell.

Also... you seem to have missed the entire point of this thread... which was that Wii games weren't being hyped... as opposed to PS3 and 360 games which receive a lot more media and people hype when they are like Timeshift or Kane and Lynch or something.

So your blaming all wii owners for some people having unrealistic expectations because some people expect good but obscure titles to sell well.

So, should people start holding you to things Crazyman says?

I think the point is, there isn't enough hype... and lack of hype you know, hurts sales.

Magazine and website coverage does help sales wouldn't you think?

Ask Lair or Heavenly Sword.

I understood what the thread was about, but GGE wanted to go on a tangent and start hurling insults at other systems, so I had to check him/her/it.

Heavenly Sword is the PS3's 11th best seller. It's sales numbers are less then hoped, but it's placed fine games wise. The only game I see that definitly should of less then HS is the PS3's best seller. Motorstorm.

It's dissapointment numbers wise is just do to PS3's problem of being able to push raw software numbers.   It's just oustide the PS3's top 10, it's coverage definitly helped it.

Lair got universally panned. People were paying attention then right before the game came out everyone said it sucked.

I sai dit suckked. Is that alright with yeou?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.