By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the lack of hype for....just about any game on wii?

I don’t know if people have notice but third party support is actually improving on the wii(MH3.FFIV)

Around the Network

I will say that if anyone really expected NiGHTS to sell that much, they were probably deluding themselves.

After all, its not like it was a million seller on the Saturn.

Because few people had the game, it took on mythical proportions. Then people heard about/saw the hack-job updating port that Sega did and bailed.

(Ironically, I paid full price for NiGHTS because I was helping a friend out who owns an independent game store. The week before, I passed on two used complete copies discounted 30 percent at an independent game store out-of-town).

Mike from Morgantown

Who owns NiGHTS, Christmas NiGHTS (second Saturn game I got - thanks to Blockbuster) and Wii NiGHTS

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Girl Gamer Elite said:

If third party developers won't step up to the plate, then Nintendo will just have to invest in more 1st and 2nd party titles to fill in the void. Will that upset developers even more, yeah, but so what, if they're not going to support this generation's PS2 then its clearly not sinking the Wii. And if they can do just fine on the 360 and PS3, then everyone wins.

I seem to remember another thread where you blasted developers for not supporting the Wii because you didn't want to have to buy multiple systems to have all the really good games this generation.

Has your stance changed recently?

The question is, why do titles like Alan Wake get hyped and listed as major titles when virtually nothing is known about them. But something unique and interesting that also has little known about it is completely ignored because it's on wii. It seems that amongst the fanboy base ANY support for the wii is inferior by definition because it is for the wii, and thusly should be ignored.

ugh, I'm disgusted by my own topic. A legitimate question posited for answers and it turns into the usual fight of the fanboys. Screw it, I don't care now. You can fight amongst yourselves.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
The question is, why do titles like Alan Wake get hyped and listed as major titles when virtually nothing is known about them. But something unique and interesting that also has little known about it is completely ignored because it's on wii. It seems that amongst the fanboy base ANY support for the wii is inferior by definition because it is for the wii, and thusly should be ignored.

ugh, I'm disgusted by my own topic. A legitimate question posited for answers and it turns into the usual fight of the fanboys. Screw it, I don't care now. You can fight amongst yourselves.

Alan Wake is developed by Remedy Entertainment,  they developed the Max Payne games, which were excellent, and both sold over a million copies. The game will be the next Max Payne. 

Don't jump into conclusions, since more than 50% of the vgchartz fanboy base supports ninty. 

If you get disgusted because people don't agree with your opinion, then start a bloq or something. You've been in vgchartz for a while, you know every thread has fight among fanboys. 

Around the Network

Ok, Alan wake is made by a good developer, good, a real answer!

Alan wake has good credentials, so it gets hyped.

Fragile, or Kings story? Not a word. They both are backed by great developers that made great games.

Ah screw it, this still isn't going anywhere. I don't want people to just agree with me, I want meaningful contributions instead of "wiii boys are jealous! THIRD PARTY GAMES ON WII SUCK!!!!". But that is too much to ask.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

DMeisterJ said:
I completly endores everything that WordsofWisdom has said in this thread, and agree to the fullest extent.

If a title doesn't sell well on the Wii it's "niche". I wish that I could use that excuse everytime a PS3 game didn't sell.

Then, all the blame is put on the PS3 or 360 with comments like GGE (I'm paraphrasing) [Sony was supposed to be the market leader, and developers haven't had time to plan games on the wii because they were caught off guard by it's success]. Which is another bs excuse, but the good thing about that one, is that in about six to ten months, that excuse will be dead, because it would have been out for two years, and the whole "caught off guard thing" will be yesterday's news.

And finally, the most blame really belongs to the fanboys. They see a game, they hype it out of this world, say it will sell good, etc. Then when the game doesn't do that, they fall back on "it's a niche title.". Case-in-point, NiGHTS. There was a thread on this game a few months back, and a few users posted that they expected the game to sell a million, one even guessed a million and a half. And now the game has sold really low (under 200k right?), it's now a "Niche" title.

If Wii fanboys would spend half of the time they do pointing the finger at every thing, or stopped hyping every third-party game that will break this streak of badness, and spent that time actually reading about games, and making informed decisions on what games actually will be good, they wouldn't have to go around and look dumb when games don't meet their expectations.

Well that's why Disgaea didn't sell. That was a Niche title afterall... it only did 80K in japan LTD.

Some games actually are... you know Niche games. Because they are good but hit a limited audience fanboys hype them up to the level of how good the game actually is, instead of how well the game could be expected to sell.

Also... you seem to have missed the entire point of this thread... which was that Wii games weren't being hyped... as opposed to PS3 and 360 games which receive a lot more media and people hype when they are like Timeshift or Kane and Lynch or something.

So your blaming all wii owners for some people having unrealistic expectations because some people expect good but obscure titles to sell well.

So, should people start holding you to things Crazyman says?

I think the point is, there isn't enough hype... and lack of hype you know, hurts sales.

Magazine and website coverage does help sales wouldn't you think? 

The_vagabond7 said:
Ok, Alan wake is made by a good developer, good, a real answer!

Alan wake has good credentials, so it gets hyped.

Fragile, or Kings story? Not a word. They both are backed by great developers that made great games.

Ah screw it, this still isn't going anywhere. I don't want people to just agree with me, I want meaningful contributions instead of "wiii boys are jealous! THIRD PARTY GAMES ON WII SUCK!!!!". But that is too much to ask.

Fragile is made by tri-Crescendo who've made Eternal Sonata. Vgchartz reports it having 130,000 sales in NA and no European release. It didn't garner much hype either nor did it pan out big in sales. It was on the Xbox 360, which was not the most natural fit for a japanese RPG at the time. This is a big part of why Fragile has and will have very little hype.

King's Story is an odd one. It has an allstar cast of talent but many of the games that talent is attributed to are not very hyped titles themselves. Chulip, Wish Room and Harvest Moon don't garner a lot of hype, and this game looks a lot more like Harvest Moon and Chulip than it does Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest VIII where the rest of the talent derives from. Not to mention it's made by one developer that has a track record of unhyped titles. Cing Inc. made Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk: Room 215 for DS with minimal hype. Town Factory, where all the big names come from, haven't made any games yet. This is their first. The publisher is Marvelous Interactive, which is most famous for Harvest Moon, which the never hype up much at all. 

Alan Wake is developed by Remedy, the same developers of Max Payne. Max Payne was a multiplatform title, spanning the PC, 360, and PS2. On Ps2 and Xbox alone it sold 4 million copies(Vgchartz doesn't have PC sales data). It was also critically acclaimed with it's original release on the PC.

You should be able to see the difference here. Anyone saying the Wii's third party titles are going to suck don't know anymore than those saying they will rock. It's all speculation at this point. The reason they aren't hyped however, is that most of these titles have cult status written all over them. Titles like Ikaruga and Rez never got much hype, but they're still great titles. In a perfect world, these kinds of titles would garner as much hype as they deserve, but it doesn't work that way. The stuff coming out for the Wii is too offbeat to be hyped by publishers. They're going to put that advertisiing muscle behind the games they spent the most money on because they need to make sure that doesn't become a profit loss. What do you think got more hype, Transformers or No Country For Old Men? Now tell me which is the better movie.

As far as why it doesn't get hyped on the internet in forums and websites, that's a tricky question. I love a good niche title as much as the next guy. In fact, one of my most hyped titles is Bangai-O Spirits for the DS. Even I have trouble getting excited for most of the Wii's third party line-up though. A niche title can usually stand out in a crowd of regularity, but when the niche titles are the norm, they have a harder time finding an identity. The odd titles on the Wii are the action games and first-person shooter types you see all day on PS3 and 360, and you'll notice it's the truth when you recall how much attention No More Heroes and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 got.  

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Same old boring crap in here.

I am sure the same people were saying No More Heroes would be a failure. Even with no marketing...

Just check it guys, people are not spending big money on Nintendo marketing because this is the system where they feel it is not necessary. Not every good game is going to sell as it should, but the games that sell are doing so with no advertising. It is the best way to keep the cost down. Did anyone see advertising for either Resident Evil game on Wii? How did they sell?

Maybe companines are just trying to save the money.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Most third party games on the Wii don't deserve any hype. That's why!

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer