By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the lack of hype for....just about any game on wii?

Onyxmeth said:

The strength of the Wii can not be shown in a video. When they show a trailer for a PS3 and 360 game, it gets hyped because it usually looks great. RPGs are supposed to be graphical showpieces ever since Square made FFVII. You can't get hype for Tales of Symphonia when it sits side by side with a video of FFXIII, they don't compare. The Wii's strength is in the controls, and unfortunately videos can't show that as easily as they can show off the graphics.

I also believe this is "partly" responsible for why magazines cover ps3 and 360 games more. They need flashy pictures to sell magazines and Wii does not do it for them. You'll also tend to notice that PSP and DS don't get a whole lot of coverage either. 

This is in addition to the third parties that put out lazy efforts with minimum marketing on the Wii, not to combat it. 

actually, the strength of the wii is shown in a video, it's just a type that's new to us as gamers. It's the kind of video that shows people swinging the wiimote and having fun. Like early wii commercials that's showed people playing wii sports or the new ones with people using the mario kart wheel.

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:
totalwar23 said:
Ari_Gold said:
RE4 is still the best third party game on the Wii

That's actually kind of sad when so far to date, the best third party effort on the Wii is a 2-year old port.

that was my point

Why is it sad?

If it was released on the other consoles, it would be one of the best games on the 360, and would be the best game on the ps3...

Its just that good...

I agree! Some games need and deserve a lot more hype than what they are getting now.

what games do you think should be hyped?

I'm back...

tastyshovelware said:
Onyxmeth said:

The strength of the Wii can not be shown in a video. When they show a trailer for a PS3 and 360 game, it gets hyped because it usually looks great. RPGs are supposed to be graphical showpieces ever since Square made FFVII. You can't get hype for Tales of Symphonia when it sits side by side with a video of FFXIII, they don't compare. The Wii's strength is in the controls, and unfortunately videos can't show that as easily as they can show off the graphics.

I also believe this is "partly" responsible for why magazines cover ps3 and 360 games more. They need flashy pictures to sell magazines and Wii does not do it for them. You'll also tend to notice that PSP and DS don't get a whole lot of coverage either.

This is in addition to the third parties that put out lazy efforts with minimum marketing on the Wii, not to combat it.

actually, the strength of the wii is shown in a video, it's just a type that's new to us as gamers. It's the kind of video that shows people swinging the wiimote and having fun. Like early wii commercials that's showed people playing wii sports or the new ones with people using the mario kart wheel.

You're absolutely right. That's why I said "can't show that as easily". It can be shown in a video hyping a game, but it's either cutting from playing and on screen action, or showing a person and the TV with an angled view. It can be shown, but I don't think it always has that dynamic effect that straight videos have. I tend to rely on the written word on what the Wii game offers because of this.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

^^

i see your point. But a lot of people who buy the wii just do so to have fun. For them, cut away videos work well.

Garcian Smith said:
Mushroom Men will be awesome. And I don't care what y'all say. It's one game that deserves to be hyped, yet nobody's even heard of it.

Yeah. That game is a razor game all right. It's going to really rule or it's going to really suck. It seems very ambitious.

Monster Factory sounds great too... though i'd never heard of it. Actually i saw it mentioned on this site but figured with such a generic name it was due for a Japaneses release only.

Hm. I can't find any info about monster factory. Is it named something else, or like... did i spell something wrong?

As far as i can tell the game doesn't exist!  Seriously the first thing that came up was a link to this post.

some games should be more hype than they are right now! its so sad.

London_Calling said:

ToS: Dawn of the New World

Fragile

King Story

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Oboro Muramasa Yotuden (Odin Sphere pseudo-sequel)

Mushroom Men

Super Mario Stadium Baseball

Okami Wii

We Love Golf

Star Wars: Force Unleashed (Not exclusive, but has exclusive controls + content)

Monster Lab

FFCC: Crystal Bearers

Fatal Frame IV

Deadly Creatures

Alone in the Dark (Not exclusive, but has Wii-exclusive controls/content)

Red Steel 2

Baroque 

Animal Crossing Wii

Rygar Wii

Samba De Amigo Wii

House of the Dead 2 & 3

Wii Music

PES 2008

Worms: A Space Oddity

Sword of Legendia (If it actually gets released this year)

(maybe) de Blob

(maybe) Blast Works

(maybe) Opoona

(maybe) Spore Wii

(maybe, if Hell freezes over) Sadness

All that, plus the promising upcoming WiiWare games: FFCC My Life as a King, Bruiser and Scratch (by ex-Naughty Dog developers Steel Penny Games), Eternity's Child, Star Soldier R, World of Goo, Bomberman Wii, Butterfly Garden, Dr. Mario Wii, LostWinds, and likely more to be announced soon.

Oh, and the Big Two: SSBB and Mario Kart Wii. But those are pretty hyped as is. :)

Believe me, there's more to be hyped about for the Wii than for any other system this year. We're just not hearing much of anything about it...

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

London_Calling said:
 I named three in my post. There are many more.  Quality isn't even an issue. Anything can be hyped. Lair was hyped. The question is, why does nothing on wii get hyped? 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.