Forums - Sales Discussion - So, the VG industry needs Nintendo as the leader

So Nintendo needs to be ahead

Wii U/XOne 18 12.95%

Wii U/PS4 46 33.09%

Wii U/PC 14 10.07%

Wii U/3DS 54 38.85%

Wii U/Vita 4 2.88%

Total:136

I agree, Nintendo should stay at the worst, 20 mil below ps4 on the home console front.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
sales2099 said:
When Nintendo won, so did we. We look forward to another gen 7. Until then, loyal allies (that we are currently trying to overtake for 2nd).

Exactly the undeniable point in the OP. Everyone won last gen.

Yep. Leaves room for the other big 2 to duke it out in a healthy environment.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Pavolink said:
chapset said:

And look were they are now, people are celebrating a 140k during the month of their biggest game, this is why providing a standard, competitive console is superior to the gimmicks, it's better for the long term and also way better for the third party devs

Like the GameCube or N64?

Gimmicks are what make them more money.

The Gamecube and N64 don't look so bad now heh :D

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

nintendo will never be leader without Casuals

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

What you're saying can basically summarized with "the console makers need to stop trying to all go after the same audience", has nothing to do with Nintendo in particular.

Wii was successful because it gathered the casuals, the others weren't affected by the Wii because they had totally different audiences. And the 360 and PS3 could basically co exist the way they did because of Sonys blunders.

Now you have Nintendo going after the Nintendo core, which is also a mostly different audience then the PS4 and X1 audience, it's just way smaller then the casual audience of the Wii. PS4 and X1 are still going after the same audience, only this time the already weaker Xbox brand had all the blunders, while the PS4 had smooth sailing.

So believe it or not, the Xbox's and PS's sales have nothing to do with Nintendos success or lack thereof.

Around the Network

I love Nintendo, but I'll be honest it's not a good thing if they were the industry leader.

They're like that good friend of yours who turns ugly when he drinks too much.

Nintendo gets too arrogant when they are no.1. Go back and watch E3 2008 and focusing on Wii Music for half the show and then Reggie telling everyone that Animal Crossing for the holidays was good enough for the core players.

They started holding off on localizing things like Xenoblade, Last Story, etc., refused to expand the Wii's internal storage (just delete the fridge), etc. because casuals wouldn't care, so why bother. Operation Rainfall had to happen.

The trick for Nintendo that they've never figured out how to do is to be a solid no.2 with a console userbase of 40-50 million. They have no one to really blame but themselves for the Wii U in that regard, they had a year head start and ample resources to make a good console, but opted to play the "lets bet everything on the controller gimmick" gamble and got burned for it this time.

Last gen having all three consoles do well didn't have anything really to do with Nintendo, it was Sony that got their sh*t together by 2007 or so and started to make inroads, so they should be given credit for making adjustments after starting slow and successfully salvaging what could've been a really bad generation for them.

Zekkyou said:
FromDK said:
chapset said:
No it did better when Sony was, look at the ps1-ps2 era vs the gimmick era of the wii

If ps2 did't have "gimmick's" they would never had sold +80 mill..

Singstar.. eyetoy.. buzz and the plastic guitar made the ps2 shine..

So in fact.. it was 6 gen. h´that was the "gimmick Gen"

(and motion is in everythin now.. thats not a gimmick.. thats a revolution.. :)

Singstar, eyetoy and Buzz sold a combined 27m units across the entire gen (16m of that being singstar). On a console that sold 1.6+ billion games.

You heard it here first folks, the PS2 would never have sold 80+ million were it not for that 1% - 2% of it's software sales.

You have to realize he also believes wii u will outsell ps4.

I think people is confused with their feelings. I know for some must be hard to see how good is Nintendo as the leader and not Sony, but the fact is that with or without gimmicks or casuals the industry was healthier.

The Wii audience was casual? Yes, and after that many of those casuals bought another console for COD, AC, Battelfield or whatever you like to name. It was a win-win situation for everyone.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

aLkaLiNE said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
aLkaLiNE said:
Sony as a market leader, to me appears to be a good thing. Anyone remember that very recent thread asking you to cite your top 3 favorite gens in order? The majority went something like 6th, 5th, then 7th.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=186733&page=1

When Sony has a grip on the market, 1st party flourishes, 3rd party flourishes, we get gimmicks, and we get real features that wind up proving critical. Nintendo hasn't really dominated while I've been around so I can't say what a gen under them would be like.

Your memory is short, young child.

Edited in the bold part.

Born in 92'

The days of NES/SNES dominance were more beautiful than anything you can possibly imagine.

Soundwave said:

I love Nintendo, but I'll be honest it's not a good thing if they were the industry leader.

They're like that good friend of yours who turns ugly when he drinks too much.

Nintendo gets too arrogant when they are no.1. Go back and watch E3 2008 and focusing on Wii Music for half the show and then Reggie telling everyone that Animal Crossing for the holidays was good enough for the core players.

They started holding off on localizing things like Xenoblade, Last Story, etc., refused to expand the Wii's internal storage (just delete the fridge), etc. because casuals wouldn't care, so why bother. Operation Rainfall had to happen.

The trick for Nintendo that they've never figured out how to do is to be a solid no.2 with a console userbase of 40-50 million. They have no one to really blame but themselves for the Wii U in that regard, they had a year head start and ample resources to make a good console, but opted to play the "lets bet everything on the controller gimmick" gamble and got burned for it this time.

Last gen having all three consoles do well didn't have anything really to do with Nintendo, it was Sony that got their sh*t together by 2007 or so and started to make inroads, so they should be given credit for making adjustments after starting slow and successfully salvaging what could've been a really bad generation.

What are you talking about? They are still arrogant believing we need to understand droughts, giving us unambitious games and delaying the few games. They are still arrogant about 3rd party devs. Fatal Frame has been announced days ago and no word on localization.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile