Wii U/PS4 46 33.09%

Wii U/PC 14 10.07%

Wii U/3DS 54 38.85%

Wii U/Vita 4 2.88%

Total:136
chapset said:
Pavolink said:
chapset said:

And look were they are now, people are celebrating a 140k during the month of their biggest game, this is why providing a standard, competitive console is superior to the gimmicks, it's better for the long term and also way better for the third party devs

Like the GameCube or N64?

Gimmicks are what make them more money.

The Gamecube and N64 don't look so bad now heh :D

In the long term a traditional console left them with the GameCube. And it was bad. Wii U tried more than a gimmicky tablet to be a traditional controller with a screen in the middle.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:

I love Nintendo, but I'll be honest it's not a good thing if they were the industry leader.

They're like that good friend of yours who turns ugly when he drinks too much.

Nintendo gets too arrogant when they are no.1. Go back and watch E3 2008 and focusing on Wii Music for half the show and then Reggie telling everyone that Animal Crossing for the holidays was good enough for the core players.

They started holding off on localizing things like Xenoblade, Last Story, etc., refused to expand the Wii's internal storage (just delete the fridge), etc. because casuals wouldn't care, so why bother. Operation Rainfall had to happen.

The trick for Nintendo that they've never figured out how to do is to be a solid no.2 with a console userbase of 40-50 million. They have no one to really blame but themselves for the Wii U in that regard, they had a year head start and ample resources to make a good console, but opted to play the "lets bet everything on the controller gimmick" gamble and got burned for it this time.

Last gen having all three consoles do well didn't have anything really to do with Nintendo, it was Sony that got their sh*t together by 2007 or so and started to make inroads, so they should be given credit for making adjustments after starting slow and successfully salvaging what could've been a really bad generation.

What are you talking about? They are still arrogant believing we need to understand droughts, giving us unambitious games and delaying the few games. They are still arrogant about 3rd party devs. Fatal Frame has been announced days ago and no word on localization.

The height of the Wii craze was a bit too ridiculous though. At least now we are getting a real (global) release for things like Xenoblade, they are trying to pick up titles like Bayonetta 2, and they probably will get around to a unified account system soon. Fatal Frame is pretty much a lock to come here to the West too simply because Nintendo can't be passing up on software anymore and there's a Hollywood movie coming. 

From a consumer POV, desperate Nintendo is honestly a lot better. Last E3 was their best in ages. They would never try that hard if they were doing well. 

Nintendo's just not cut out to be the market leader. Like I said, they get drunk on their own success and pretty much always get too arrogant. They don't listen to or understand industry trends either. 

Sony is much more level headed of a company as much as I hate to say it. They listen to feedback from consumers, are mindful of third parties, and just do things in a more straight forward fashion. 

Nintendo's goal should be to be a strong no.2, but they pretty much screwed that up this gen already. 

FromDK said:
chapset said:
No it did better when Sony was, look at the ps1-ps2 era vs the gimmick era of the wii

If ps2 did't have "gimmick's" they would never had sold +80 mill..

Singstar.. eyetoy.. buzz and the plastic guitar made the ps2 shine..

So in fact.. it was 6 gen. h´that was the "gimmick Gen"

(and motion is in everythin now.. thats not a gimmick.. thats a revolution.. :)

Motion is in everything... but how many game use it? And how much good did it do for the wii at the end that prompted them to jump ship and jump start the 8th gen?

OP:

No.. nintendo shouldn't be the leader. Especially if by leader you are suggesting that everyone else will do better. I tend to look at the console war as a very unnecesary platform war. Very much like blu-ray vs hddvd or vhs vs betamax. We do not need 3 consoles on the market, I don't even feel we need two though it having at least two helps keep the other guy honest. Think about it, wouldn't everyone be so much happier if there as just one console and everyone released games for it? Sony games, MS games and nintendo games all on one console.

VanceIX said:

The Wii wasn't really a leader among the core audience. At least half, if not more, sales came from the casual audience, which is very fickle, and it showed when all of them jumped ship half way through the generation for iPhone and Android.

That being said, Nintendo is integral to the gaming community for their excellent exclusives.

And at least half, if not more, of PS3 and 360 sales are from the casual audience and RROD/YLOD replacements. It's a two way street. It doesn't matter what way you try to cut it, the 7th gen belonged to the Wii.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Terrible argument with a truly horrendous motivation behind it.

Nintendo hasn't done (consoles):

- A MMO (nevermind a truly great one)
- A Pokemon RPG even though it's so fucking obvious.
- A realistic racing game
- a realistic fps (they've hardly done fps)
- realistic adventure games
- adult themed games in significant quantities (come at me all you want, you know it's true)
- etc.
- etc.

Look at Nintendo's software output the last 10 years. Look at the model they've followed for their consoles (underpowered, small and gimicky).

No my friends, there are good reasons why Nintendo's popularity has waned.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
FromDK said:
chapset said:
No it did better when Sony was, look at the ps1-ps2 era vs the gimmick era of the wii

If ps2 did't have "gimmick's" they would never had sold +80 mill..

Singstar.. eyetoy.. buzz and the plastic guitar made the ps2 shine..

So in fact.. it was 6 gen. h´that was the "gimmick Gen"

(and motion is in everythin now.. thats not a gimmick.. thats a revolution.. :)

Motion is in everything... but how many game use it? And how much good did it do for the wii at the end that prompted them to jump ship and jump start the 8th gen?

OP:

No.. nintendo shouldn't be the leader. Especially if by leader you are suggesting that everyone else will do better. I tend to look at the console war as a very unnecesary platform war. Very much like blu-ray vs hddvd or vhs vs betamax. We do not need 3 consoles on the market, I don't even feel we need two though it having at least two helps keep the other guy honest. Think about it, wouldn't everyone be so much happier if there as just one console and everyone released games for it? Sony games, MS games and nintendo games all on one console.

And sell less consoles? Less money? A saturation on games?

You clearly had no idea.

I wouldn't say it needs to be the leader necessarily, but the VG industry in general needs Nintendo to be here

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Richard_Feynman said:
Terrible argument with a truly horrendous motivation behind it.

Nintendo hasn't done (consoles):

- A MMO (nevermind a truly great one)
- A Pokemon RPG even though it's so fucking obvious.
- A realistic racing game
- a realistic fps (they've hardly done fps)
- realistic adventure games
- adult themed games in significant quantities (come at me all you want, you know it's true)
- etc.
- etc.

Look at Nintendo's software output the last 10 years. Look at the model they've followed for their consoles (underpowered, small and gimicky).

No my friends, there are good reasons why Nintendo's popularity has waned.

And how this has to do with the thread? Not making a Pokemon RPG for homeconsoles is a valip point for not being the leader?

If it was as easy as this they would have developed and waited to see consoles flying.

Soundwave said:

The height of the Wii craze was a bit too ridiculous though. At least now we are getting a real (global) release for things like Xenoblade, they are trying to pick up titles like Bayonetta 2, and they probably will get around to a unified account system soon. Fatal Frame is pretty much a lock to come here to the West too simply because Nintendo can't be passing up on software anymore and there's a Hollywood movie coming. 

From a consumer POV, desperate Nintendo is honestly a lot better. Last E3 was their best in ages. They would never try that hard if they were doing well. 

Nintendo's just not cut out to be the market leader. Like I said, they get drunk on their own success and pretty much always get too arrogant. They don't listen to or understand industry trends either. 

Sony is much more level headed of a company as much as I hate to say it. They listen to feedback from consumers, are mindful of third parties, and just do things in a more straight forward fashion. 

Nintendo's goal should be to be a strong no.2, but they pretty much screwed that up this gen already. 

I know they were arrogant. They didn't develop a real Paper Mario, just ported the GC one, or left Zelda until 2011 believing it wasn't necessary since TP 2006 release.

But they also handled better the Wii than the Wii U. At this rate on Wii you were playing Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Super Paper Mario and many others. On Wii U the big guns are Pikmin 3, NSMBU, 3DWorld, DK and Mario Kart.

Op this thread is so flawed. With your logic on sales then nes/snes era was worse than the ps1/ps2 era. Whomp whomp