By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft ever win a gen?

Sure it can!  Maybe next gen??? or even this gen?  Who knows theres 6-7 years left still and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!  A couple million units lead isn't much in the scope of a 10 year span....  Sony ps4 is all hype with no games.  I dont understand its sales except for that the gamer market is full of people with lesser intellect.  

Nintendo always has a chance to win because of its always being innovated and trying new things.  

And Nintendo wins EVERY HANDHELD GEN.  Sony should exit that market and it will just be Nintendo in the handheld market.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

Like what? I'm all ears.

Also, PC is a different matter since their "generations" are really fuzzy. When we talk about generations, we usually refer to console generations. And think about this... If Windows have so many more exclusives than Sony and Nintndo combined, why even start Xbox in the first place? Would've saved MS a LOT of money and MS would've made a lot more profit.

From last year as an example...  As for why did they start Xbox well they wanted to hedge their bets.

-SNIP-

That is indeed a lot of PC exclusives, but some of those games are on PS4 like Warframe and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Also, Everquest is made by SOE, so I won't be surprised seeing it on the PS4, too. A bunch of these games are small games or mediocre MMO's. I hardly recognize most of these games not because I don't play PC (in which I do), but because they're not that good. These aren't the kinds of games that have replay value or a lasting appeal. I played Neverwinter, for instance, but I wasn't impressed with its apparent lack of polish. The Hunter Ranger class is really broken with the spreadshot + chargeshot combination. While it's entertaining at first, the balance is horrible.

Edit: It seems that you Googled for a list and just copy & pasted it here without doing some research on the games.

DerNebel said:
Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

Actually, the winner for more exclusives is a toss-up between Sony and Nintendo with a slight edge to Nintendo. MS is still losing money overall with the Xbox brand and who knows how much the X1 has cost them, especially after they closed MS Entertainment Studios and released a Kinectless SKU. The only company that has been making money overall is Nintendo. Sony would be up there, too, had the PS3 not costed them dearly.

Just counting Windows exclusives alone there are more than Sony and Nintendo combined.

Great and exactly how much money does MS get from every Windows exclusive being sold?

I've come across people that say that Nintendo has won every console generation to date since they make more money off hardware and exclusives but in my opnion that's ignoring a lot.  If you wish to claim Nintendo has won every console generation that's cool but this topic at least the thread title is about the companies as a whole.  The dollars Microsoft makes by selling a copy of Windows for a system that will be used to play a game should count because otherwise it all comes down to cherry picking.

Legend11 said:
DerNebel said:
Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

Actually, the winner for more exclusives is a toss-up between Sony and Nintendo with a slight edge to Nintendo. MS is still losing money overall with the Xbox brand and who knows how much the X1 has cost them, especially after they closed MS Entertainment Studios and released a Kinectless SKU. The only company that has been making money overall is Nintendo. Sony would be up there, too, had the PS3 not costed them dearly.

Just counting Windows exclusives alone there are more than Sony and Nintendo combined.

Great and exactly how much money does MS get from every Windows exclusive being sold?

I've come across people that say that Nintendo has won every console generation to date since they make more money off hardware and exclusives but in my opnion that's ignoring a lot.  If you wish to claim Nintendo has won every console generation that's cool but this topic at least the thread title is about the companies as a whole.  The dollars Microsoft makes by selling a copy of Windows for a system that will be used to play a game should count because otherwise it all comes down to cherry picking.

You didn't really answer DerNebel's question meaning that you have no idea. Also, Steam is run by Valve, so Valve profits from Steam a lot more than MS. And MS profits from Windows not from games, but from making deals with PC companies to include Windows in their products.

Aura7541 said:
Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

Like what? I'm all ears.

Also, PC is a different matter since their "generations" are really fuzzy. When we talk about generations, we usually refer to console generations. And think about this... If Windows have so many more exclusives than Sony and Nintndo combined, why even start Xbox in the first place? Would've saved MS a LOT of money and MS would've made a lot more profit.

From last year as an example...  As for why did they start Xbox well they wanted to hedge their bets.

-SNIP-

That is indeed a lot of PC exclusives, but some of those games are on PS4 like Warframe and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Also, Everquest is made by SOE, so I won't be surprised seeing it on the PS4, too. A bunch of these games are small games or mediocre MMO's. I hardly recognize most of these games not because I don't play PC (in which I do), but because they're not that good. These aren't the kinds of games that have replay value or a lasting appeal. I played Neverwinter, for instance, but I wasn't impressed with its apparent lack of polish. The Hunter Ranger class is really broken with the spreadshot + chargeshot combination. While it's entertaining at first, the balance is horrible.

Edit: It seems that you Googled for a list and just copy & pasted it here without doing some research on the games.

For every game on that list that became multiplatform there are likely 5 or 10 or more  (indie or other) PC exclusives that didn't make the list.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Legend11 said:

And what of those copies that aren't used to play games?

If you take a look at the PS2 for example how many were excluded from sales totals on websites like this one because they were just used as DVD players for movies/tv shows?  Well none were excluded because it's impossible to pick out the ones that were just used for that.  Considering we don't exclude consoles then why should we do it for Windows?

Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

For every game on that list that became multiplatform there are likely 5 or 10 or more  (indie or other) PC exclusives that didn't make the list.

Yeah, and I've played much of the games not listed and they are pretty bad, redundant, and/or are really short. The Stanely Parable, for example, is really good, but it doesn't take long to find all the possible scenarios. It's also on Steam, so Valve benefits more. There are significantly less PC exclusives that are worth playing and/or last a long time (e.g. Torchlight, Starcraft, Guild Wars). When people are asked what are their top games, they tend to be console games or games that are also on consoles. And because it's really easy to port from PC to PS4, we're going to see even less PC exclusives like how Magicka is coming to the PS4.

Aura7541 said:
Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

Yeah, and I've played much of the games not listed and they are pretty bad, redundant, and/or are really short. The Stanely Parable, for example, is really good, but it doesn't take long to find all the possibly scenarios. It's also on Steam, so Valve benefits more. There are significantly less PC exclusives that are worth playing (e.g. Torchlight, Starcraft, Guild Wars). When people are asked what are their top games, they tend to be console games or games that are also on consoles. And because it's really easy to port from PC to PS4, we're going to see even less PC exclusives like how Magicka is coming to the PS4.

The cost and barriers of entry to PC game development are always going to be lower than on console so the number of games being developed on PC will always be more than on console.  That's simply stating the obvious...  The thread topic should really have been "Will Microsoft ever lose a gen?".

Legend11 said:
Aura7541 said:

Yeah, and I've played much of the games not listed and they are pretty bad, redundant, and/or are really short. The Stanely Parable, for example, is really good, but it doesn't take long to find all the possibly scenarios. It's also on Steam, so Valve benefits more. There are significantly less PC exclusives that are worth playing (e.g. Torchlight, Starcraft, Guild Wars). When people are asked what are their top games, they tend to be console games or games that are also on consoles. And because it's really easy to port from PC to PS4, we're going to see even less PC exclusives like how Magicka is coming to the PS4.

The cost and barriers of entry to PC game development are always going to be lower than on console so the number of games being developed on PC will always be more than on console.  That's simply stating the obvious...  The thread topic should really have been "Will Microsoft ever lose a gen?".

Now you're veering off topic and moving goalposts, Legend11. Also, I'm highly doubtful for the bolded considering that every PC is different and devs have to consider that fact while all consoles are the same. Also, it's much easier to make 1000 small games vs 1000 "AAA" games. However, the downside of making as many games as you can is that the quality immensely suffers, as I have experienced first hand. Are there good PC exclusives? Yes. Are there as many good PC exclusives as good console exclusives? Hell, no!

Edit: The development environment for PC is also a lot more lax than console development. MS (for the X1) and Sony have stricter policies which is why the X1 and PS4 very rarely receive buggy, broken games as opposed to PC.

tinfamous12 said:
They DEFINITELY won last gen. Especially considering 360 is still outselling both Nintendo and Sonys last gen consoles to this day (according to NPD). Plus 360 killed in software sales as well.

The 360 and the PS3 have been neck-in-neck since the year started. If these consoles continue to sell through Black Friday they are both demonic. Microsoft succeeded in halving Sony's marketshare, They havent really done much to increase the market size like Nintendo or Sony though, so that could hurt them this gen.