By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is looking at remastering PS3 titles the same way Disney remasters movies

KLXVER said:
DrDoomz said:

1) Ok?

2) Why are we talking about DLC now? Weren't we discussing remasters? 

3) My CE analogy was based on movies. And was (y'know) an analogy about purchasing a product again and not getting discounts for it.

I have no idea what youre talking about anymore. Sorry, but I guess Im just too stupid to understand you.

Best to keep debating within a few topics at a time, that way your mind won't get mixed up.

To recap:

Just because you bought the game early doesn't entitle you to a discount on a newer, improved version of it. Sony not offering discounts to early adaptors does not mean they are taking advantage of anyone. Remasters target a specific market. If you don't want to spend on the game again, don't buy it.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
KLXVER said:
Hynad said:

Nope. You said a few times that Wind Waker HD cannot be compared to The Last of Us Remastered. Cut the crap.

Yes, it cant. WWHD is a much more improved product imo.

Because you have a very unreasonable bias. You won't admit it. But it's in plain sight for everyone else.

It might seem that way, but I dont. Yes, Sony is not my favorite console maker, but I wont bash them for everything they do. They have done and still does great things for this industry and I applaud them when they do. I also complain when they dont. Thats just they way I am. I was happy with just saying my opinion and leave it at that, but some people wouldnt let me "get away" with that.

i have no problem with remastering older games even ones from last gen, as long as it doesnt interfere with new game development. With that said as soon as they decided to remake games instead of new games thats where i will get mad, TLoU im happy to have ordered as i held off on the ps3 version, same will go for GTAV and if they released Uncharted remastered colection ill rebuy those as they are the reason i havent ditched my ps3 yet.

blessedswine said:
i have no problem with remastering older games even ones from last gen, as long as it doesnt interfere with new game development. With that said as soon as they decided to remake games instead of new games thats where i will get mad, TLoU im happy to have ordered as i held off on the ps3 version, same will go for GTAV and if they released Uncharted remastered colection ill rebuy those as they are the reason i havent ditched my ps3 yet.

Good thing it is that Naughty Dog were already working on Uncharted 4 and an other uncannounced game, alongside The Last of Us Remastered. Doesn't seem to me like the remaster interfered with anything. If anything, they only allocated a small team to the remaster, or maybe they used people who weren't yet set to work on the other projects. Coders aren't going to start coding before they know what the heck is going on (as in, project being in pre-prod).

Hynad said:
blessedswine said:

Good thing it is that Naughty Dog were making Uncharted 4 and an other uncannounced game, alongside The Last of Us Remastered. Doesn't seem to me like the remaster interfered with anything.

If anything, it seems to have helped as they're using the remastering of TLOU to learn more about optimizing for the PS4 and applying that knowledge to Uncharted.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Tamron said:

You act like they're giving up on new games and making only re-releases.

But then, since all you seem to do is complain about stuff i'm hardly surprised.

Yes, I complain when I think companies are taking advantage of their customers. Im a bit weird that way...

Just an observation.

There is a massive difference between  complaining in a few posts about something and always complaining about anything and everything when it comes to a certain console. I've seen at least 100 different posts from you about how terrible sony is for the remasters and the lack of backwards compatibility. Not only are some of your comments unrealistic from a business point of view, but you make it sound as if it's easy to emulate ps3 games on ps4 hardware. Anyone with decent knowledge of the ps3 and ps4 hardware would tell you that it's nearly if not completely impossible.

There is only so many times you can say the same thing in different posts before people get tired of hearing it. Sure, I feel that NInty dropped the ball with the wiiu and 3ds and I'm disappointed in them for a number of reasons? Am I gonna spend every second of my time of vgc letting everyone here now just how disappointed i am in them as a company? No. A post or two are enough, as I know it would get annoying and only aggrevate people. Unless that's what you wanna do, I'd suggest you cool it down a bit and maybe talk about something else for a change. Also talk about something positive, maybe?

naruball said:
KLXVER said:

Yes, I complain when I think companies are taking advantage of their customers. Im a bit weird that way...

Just an observation.

There is a massive difference between  complaining in a few posts about something and always complaining about anything and everything when it comes to a certain console. I've seen at least 100 different posts from you about how terrible sony is for the remasters and the lack of backwards compatibility. Not only are some of your comments unrealistic from a business point of view, but you make it sound as if it's easy to emulate ps3 games on ps4 hardware. Anyone with decent knowledge of the ps3 and ps4 hardware would tell you that it's nearly if not completely impossible.

There is only so many times you can say the same thing in different posts before people get tired of hearing it. Sure, I feel that NInty dropped the ball with the wiiu and 3ds and I'm disappointed in them for a number of reasons? Am I gonna spend every second of my time of vgc letting everyone here now just how disappointed i am in them as a company? No. A post or two are enough, as I know it would get annoying and only aggrevate people. Unless that's what you wanna do, I'd suggest you cool it down a bit and maybe talk about something else for a change. Also talk about something positive, maybe?

That post is win.

Thank you for it.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
BMaker11 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
sales2099 said:
Because they are 1st place, they can afford to do this. Minimal cost with maximum return potential.

Basically.

If the cost is minimal, I would think that position wouldn't matter at all. If a remaster only costs a fraction of the original budgetm then at £40 a pop, even if only 100K sell, that's what? £1.2M of almost pure profit (since not much money would need to go into recouping dev costs). And that's for low sales.

I don't think being in 1st place has anything to do with the affordability (in terms of marketshare) of that kind of potential. Not to mention, they still have games coming out, so it's not like "we're in first, so we're not gonna give new games, only old ones". Nintendo could remaster Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for WiiU and Microsoft could remaster Lost Odyssey for XBone, and as long as they're still releasing the new games they told us they're going to release, there should be absolutely no complaints. The fact that TLOU was in the works didn't prevent I:SS from coming out, nor did it put UC4 behind schedule, for example (for people who would say that Sony should put their resources elsewhere). So what's the problem?

Sony could announce 100 remasters right now, and as long as DriveClub, LBP3, Blodbourne, etc. come out...why should I or anyone else take issue with it? As long as remasters don't tamper with the production schedule of other games, being able to "afford to make them" has absolutely 0 relevance. If they don't interefere with other games, all the companies can afford minimal cost with maximum return potential.

well.. we know that remasters didn't prevent these games from coming out.. but we don't know about the games it did prevent from coming out. and if sony made 100 remasters, you better believe that is going to take away from other projects.

Well, Naughty Dog only has two franchises they're working on at the moment (UC and TLOU). If you look up TLOU, you'll see that the remastered version started being worked on immediately after the original version was completed. Yet, UC4 is still on schedule. It's because only a small side team within Naughty Dog is making the remaster. Not to mention ND is also working on a new IP to release after UC4. In the case of TLOU:R what did it possibly prevent from coming out/being worked on? Are you saying that the remaster may have prevented another game? In only one year of development?

If Sony makes sure their studios act in the same manner as ND, then it's a no-lose situation.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
DerNebel said:
KLXVER said:
Great news! I was getting sick of new games anyway...

Why don't you just stay out of these threads if you have nothing to add but stupid hyperbolic comments like this?

You're really going to keep defending these remaster even as the news gets worse and worse... And worse? If I were a huge Sony fan and bought a ps4 day one, I'd be PISSED. Hell, when nintendo announced WWHD I was like.. Really? Did we need this? Come to find out that there might actually be good reasons for that remaster, but anyways, when is enough for you? Seriously, where do you draw the line? 

Are you kdding me? Getting worse? Newsflash, the only reason that we're getting remasters of 1 year old games right now is because we're not even 1 year into the PS4/X1 generation, that's why. Developers don't have new games ready and so some decided to remaster their newer games for the new systems, big whoop. In the next couple years the remastering trend is going to go completely back to where it was last gen with only a couple greatest hits games being remastered and that is completely fine.

Wanna know what is really getting worse? It's Nintendo fans like you. This doesn't affect you in the slightest and you are not worried about the industry, the only reason that the same couple of people continue to downplay this whole thing is because they want to take a piss on the PS4 (why do you think every topic becomes about TLOU:R?). You know, I don't even a own a PS4 yet and even if I did I probably wouldn't bother getting TLOU:R, but I can still understand why it exists and why people want it and I don't feel that it affects me negatively in any fucking way, just like it doesn't affect any of the people complaining negatively in any way. Why? Because you don't have to buy the thing. 

If you don't want it, then don't buy it and just shut up about it, people. New games are still being made and nobody gets hurt by remasters and by people buying them.

Oh and you want to know where I draw the line? I draw it right here. I will not respond to any of your horrible posts on this forum from now on, have a nice day.

FMD. Disney remaster movies that come out decades ago not ones that come out 2 weeks ago.