By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is looking at remastering PS3 titles the same way Disney remasters movies

Remasting is a clever way to make people that didn't own ps3 to buy ps4.

I don't understand all that hate.

Around the Network
gooch_destroyer said:
I think if Nintendo remastered that super Mario galaxy game then will have the same comments? Nope.

remastering Super Mario Galaxy would be a very dumb idea, for this reason, you can just buy the Wii Version and pop it into the WiiU.  there is nothing stopping someone who didnt own a Wii from playing Wii games.

naruball said:

Just an observation.

There is a massive difference between  complaining in a few posts about something and always complaining about anything and everything when it comes to a certain console. I've seen at least 100 different posts from you about how terrible sony is for the remasters and the lack of backwards compatibility. Not only are some of your comments unrealistic from a business point of view, but you make it sound as if it's easy to emulate ps3 games on ps4 hardware. Anyone with decent knowledge of the ps3 and ps4 hardware would tell you that it's nearly if not completely impossible.

There is only so many times you can say the same thing in different posts before people get tired of hearing it. Sure, I feel that NInty dropped the ball with the wiiu and 3ds and I'm disappointed in them for a number of reasons? Am I gonna spend every second of my time of vgc letting everyone here now just how disappointed i am in them as a company? No. A post or two are enough, as I know it would get annoying and only aggrevate people. Unless that's what you wanna do, I'd suggest you cool it down a bit and maybe talk about something else for a change. Also talk about something positive, maybe?

Well if you saw my posts, then you must have seen the people responding to me and wanted me to explain every single little thing I said. I said I dont like these remasters and many people got mad at me and wanted me to justify why I think that way. My words get twisted, I get called a Nintendo fanboy and a Sony hater. I dont hate Sony at all.

My biggest problem is that I feel obligated to respond to people talking to me. I feel its rude to just ignore someone. Some of them just wont let me have an opinion on something unless its a positive one. They respond to me and tell me to explain everything I say and when I do and theyre not happy with my explanation, then they hit the report button because obviously Im the one baiting people.

So before you say that people get tired of reading what I say, maybe you should complain about the people who want me to explain myself again and again about the same thing, all the while hovering around the report buttton waiting for me to say something so they have their reason to press it.

But fine, the people who care know my stance on this subject now, so I wont give my opinion in any more of these remasters threads. Just try and look at something from both sides before you decide to complain about one of them.

PullusPardus said:
the-pi-guy said:
ikki5 said:
So i take it this is why there was no backwards compatibility.

The reason there is no backwards compatibility is the same reason there was no backwards compatibility for N64, SNES, and GCN for Nintendo.  And to a lesser extent Xbox One, Xbox 360.  It's too expensive.  

Software emulation is not expensive though, in fact its free.

It's not free. People have to engineer the software and emulators. That time is money. When there is backwards compatability it has to have full support, so it takes lots of time especially on new hardware with new architecture to create an emulator that works with everything from the previous generation.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

DerNebel said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

I thought I had just gotten accustomed to this stance early having been a Vita owner but now even Sony's higher ups are calling out the core home console gaming demographic with comments like I don't understand those people, they will roll their eyes.  

The funny thing is following that strategy will kill Paystation.  Cutting out the smaller titles from retail simply wont give Playstation consoles the appearnance of a software library with variety. It also makes software discovery a huge problem for anyone who doesn't already own the machine.  Vita is the living embodiment of that strategy but that rot will kill a home console too.   It just might take a little longer.  

bolded: Completely false

Also you don't seriously believe that the thing that killed the Vita were the missing smaller retail titles? What killed the Vita was a lack of appeal from the start bundled with a lack of support from first and third party developers. Both things that, even if people want to paint that picture at least regarding first party support, the PS4 does not lack.

I completely 100% believe they played a large role in why the US still cant seem to find a healthy baseline for demand of the system.   Creating a demand for something with Playstation in the title has never been so difficult in the US.  Except maybe the PSP Go although that had both of my complaints against it too.   

1st and smaller 3rd parties are supporting Vita just fine... in Japan.  Since the larger publishers in Japan aren't making Vita games that means the system sells on almost exclusively smaller retail titles.   So those titles when brought to retail at least collectively do seem to make a difference.

To illustrate an additional reason why bringing games to digital only is bad for consoles just go ask anyone outside of VGC or at least outside of the official Vita topic about the console or its upcoming games. This means your only market for said game is people who already own the console.    

Sure the higher costs of developing AAA games this gen in relation to the huge userbase and less costly nature of development of mobile stole some developers. This issue also affects 3DS(MonHun also on iOS), PS4 and every traditional console. Now that the Japanese are showing us 15-40 apps can work I don't see PS4 or traditional consoles even being the best bet for many publishers and developers too much longer into the future.  With a 70% return a $40 app makes them more money than the $27 from a $60 game. Cheaper to make to boot.   

Sony make it easy to paint that picture even with 1st party.  Sony has openly said you are getting less AAA games and they don't understand the people whom want so many. Sony has 3rd party support. This generation that fact just means less than it ever has. 

Around the Network
DerNebel said:

1) Are you kdding me? Getting worse? Newsflash, the only reason that we're getting remasters of 1 year old games right now is because we're not even 1 year into the PS4/X1 generation, that's why. Developers don't have new games ready and so some decided to remaster their newer games for the new systems, big whoop. In the next couple years the remastering trend is going to go completely back to where it was last gen with only a couple greatest hits games being remastered and that is completely fine.

Wanna know what is really getting worse? It's Nintendo fans like you. This doesn't affect you in the slightest and you are not worried about the industry, the only reason that the same couple of people continue to downplay this whole thing is because they want to take a piss on the PS4 (why do you think every topic becomes about TLOU:R?). You know, I don't even a own a PS4 yet and even if I did I probably wouldn't bother getting TLOU:R, but I can still understand why it exists and why people want it and I don't feel that it affects me negatively in any fucking way, just like it doesn't affect any of the people complaining negatively in any way. Why? Because you don't have to buy the thing. 

If you don't want it, then don't buy it and just shut up about it, people. New games are still being made and nobody gets hurt by remasters and by people buying them.

(2) Oh and you want to know where I draw the line? I draw it right here. I will not respond to any of your horrible posts on this forum from now on, have a nice day.

1) i dont remember getting remasters the first year of the 7th generation. i dont remember getting remasters the first year of the 6th generation.. so on, so on, and so forth.

and youre saying that i dont care about the industry (you have no idea) yet youre really going to give these people a pass of just making their game (lets take GTA V for example) on the ps3 and 360, collecting 20m+ sales (because they knew they could), had broken online, and then a year later, release it for the newer consoles to maximize their profit. you really dont see a problem with that? if their game could have really benefitted from newer hardware, why didnt they just put all their focus on that to make the best game possible? did you know that thats how games USED to be made? the best games possible were made in order to persuade the buyer. now, its lets release it on consoles that have 160M units, and then lets release it again because thats a good business move. and since we have internet and patches, fuck the online, we have to make our september release date so there is no competition from other projects, and there is enough time where poeple would want to buy it again next year. and that bothers me because it takes away their focus from making the best game possible. so, im the one who doesnt care about this industry? again, you really have no idea, shit like this makes me livid because i remember gaming in the fucking 4th and 5th generation, i remember how it was. it bothers me big time, and it should bother anybody who are educated about video games, like all of us are on this site.

(2) you didnt answer my question, which was a valid question, but ill tell you that you absolutely will not. you cannot resist, i know you cant. lol.

betacon said:
Snoorlax said:
Yeah, to hell with fresh and new games!

They better remaster BF4 and COD GHOSTS for next gen and charge us full price for it!

Thank god we keep getting all those much needed pokemon remakes.

Hey, as long as Snorlax is in it then why the hell not!?

But now that you mentioned Pokemon remakes and to give you a serious response, let's compare some remakes with their originals to Last of Us' "remake or remaster" and it's original including Pokemon. Excuse me for this long post.

These, sir, are remakes.

And now Last of Us.

Better lightning, sharper edges and higher resolution.

Could a mod please step in and take care of all the troll trash that has been filling and derailing these [The Last of Us Remastered] threads recently?