By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Problem -- There Simply Isn't Room For 3 Consoles

PwerlvlAmy said:
Without Nintendo we'd just have two companies who are just a clone of each other. Nintendo is actually the breath of fresh air of the industry

How you doin? 

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
So, M$ will leave. Sad, but only room for 2 consoles right?

Would be ideal actually, the problem is MS has so much money that they can really just stay in this business forever if they want. 

It seems like their new CEO, Nadella is actually a pretty big proponent of the XBox brand though, so I don't think its going anywhere. They're already hiring engineers for the next-gen XBox it looks like. 

Nintendo is synonymous with console gaming. Hell in some parts of the world my friends still call playing video games "playing Nintendo" even if it's PS or XB and they don't own a Nintendo console. Nintendo not being a part of the hardware market would be a sign of the imminent collapse of the console market in its entirety, Sony is currently dominating the market, and despite flagging sales MS has the deepest pockets of all and likely won't back out. None of them will likely drop out of the console wars outright.

We're fast approaching the point where "advanced" consoles like the PS4 and Xbone are heavily dated by the time they release. That's why we see games constantly letting gamers down in the graphics department, like watch dogs and anything on Xbone. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next generation or two Sony and MS take a custom PC approach to gaming. Either becoming extensions to PC, or just making their console into subscription based PCs where they upgrade hardware over time. It's the only way I can see them keeping up with the ever faster improvements of technology. If there will be any "true" consoles on into the future, I think they will be by Nintendo because of their focus on different hardware instead of powerful hardware. A focus on powerful hardware leads you to PC instead of consoles. Yes the Wii U looks like a miss currently, but we're only one generation removed from their biggest success story in company history. The Wii U doesn't even have it's biggest innovation out yet, the amiibo.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/05/how-nintendo-is-different/

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/09/the-wii-u-is-set-to-impress/

PwerlvlAmy said:
Without Nintendo we'd just have two companies who are just a clone of each other. Nintendo is actually the breath of fresh air of the industry

Nintendo puts out their usual IPs and so do the other publishers and you'll have unique games all around as well. It's a bit close-minded to say that Nintendo is the only developer in the world that does creative things.

Soundwave said:
EricFabian said:

Would be ideal actually, the problem is MS has so much money that they can really just stay in this business forever if they want. 

It seems like their new CEO, Nadella is actually a pretty big proponent of the XBox brand though, so I don't think its going anywhere. 

And so Nintendo. Or do you really think they will just retreat?

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

I'm glad I am not the only one that sees the Ps4 and Xboxone as redundancies for the most part. In fact, both of those are redundant to the PC. Nintendo consoles offer truly unique games.

All that being said, its about the money. If three home consoles make a profit (and computer manufacturers / parts manufacturers and clients like Steam make a profit), then we have room for the current 3-4 home platforms in the market.

EricFabian said:
Soundwave said:
EricFabian said:

It seems like their new CEO, Nadella is actually a pretty big proponent of the XBox brand though, so I don't think its going anywhere. 

And so Nintendo. Or do you really think they will just retreat?

Well I think they will kind just go the Fusion route, which is more handheld centric, but it certainly doesn't help Nintendo, if MS was gone it would open things up much moreso, three is just too many companies all trying to compete for a limited piece of the pie. 

Experimental42 said:
Nintendo is synonymous with console gaming. Hell in some parts of the world my friends still call playing video games "playing Nintendo" even if it's PS or XB and they don't own a Nintendo console. Nintendo not being a part of the hardware market would be a sign of the imminent collapse of the console market in its entirety, Sony is currently dominating the market, and despite flagging sales MS has the deepest pockets of all and likely won't back out. None of them will likely drop out of the console wars outright.

We're fast approaching the point where "advanced" consoles like the PS4 and Xbone are heavily dated by the time they release. That's why we see games constantly letting gamers down in the graphics department, like watch dogs and anything on Xbone. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next generation or two Sony and MS take a custom PC approach to gaming. Either becoming extensions to PC, or just making their console into subscription based PCs where they upgrade hardware over time. It's the only way I can see them keeping up with the ever faster improvements of technology. If there will be any "true" consoles on into the future, I think they will be by Nintendo because of their focus on different hardware instead of powerful hardware. A focus on powerful hardware leads you to PC instead of consoles. Yes the Wii U looks like a miss currently, but we're only one generation removed from their biggest success story in company history. The Wii U doesn't even have it's biggest innovation out yet, the amiibo.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/05/how-nintendo-is-different/

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/09/the-wii-u-is-set-to-impress/

Ninty Was synomenous with gaming, that is now two decades ago.  These days its playstation few woudl argue that. 

So wiius big seller is now amiibo, i goess after a dozen games failed to do so its come to that.

Nintendo was here first they should stay

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

RolStoppable said:
There isn't room for three consoles that do the same.

Solution for Nintendo: Don't do the same. Which shouldn't be hard to begin with, because the market doesn't want dumbed down PC gaming from Nintendo.

Well motion gaming isn't a differniator this gen either, as badly as you want to be. XBox has that. Sony has it too (though no one cares). It's available on every console if its something you really want, just like analog sticks and rumble and online (cough*Nintendo*cough) has been adopted across the board. 

The play then for Nintendo had to be to make a VR console as that's the only feasible thing I can see that looks different, but even there, Samsung/Facebook/Sony are all moving fast in that direction, Nintendo had a window of maybe 2-3 years to jump on that before the others.