By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo ending the 3DS slowly?

NintendoPie said:
I don't think they are trying to kill it, they are just stupid. Nintendo thinks the 3DS is doing perfect. They think the 3DS is selling well enough to not get constant support. And, because of this, they moved on to supporting the Wii U; an already dead, hopeless console that has no life ahead of it. (Even though Nintendo thinks so.)

The answer is, Nintendo is stupid.

Eh, Nintendo can't win here. 

One year ago 

"OMG Nintendo is teh stooopid, why they make so many 3DS games, 3DS is doing fine, Wii U needs help now!"

In reality these decisions have to be made way in advance, you can't just one day say "OK now make games for this platform!" like you're making a hamburger that will be ready in 10 minutes. Game development takes 2-3 years. 

All the more reason they are going to route of a unified, single software ecosystem next time around. So much easier to manage. 

Also the 3DS has had a 3D Mario, a 2D Mario, a Zelda: OoT remake, an Zelda: LttP brand new sequel, a new Pokemon, Monster Hunter 3G and 4, a new Kid Icarus, a new Pilotwings, a new Nintendogs, a new Animal Crossing, a new Fire Emblem, a new Luigi's Mansion, a new Mario & Luigi, a new Paper Mario, two new Resident Evil games, a new Kingdom Hearts, a new Ridge Racer, the first Western release of Tomodachi Collection, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and TWO hardware revisions. 

Lets not act like Nintendo hasn't done a lot for this platform. At 3 1/2 years old it's perfectly normal for a platform to start seeing a slow down in 1st/2nd party offerings. 3 1/2 years into the SNES life cycle puts you into 1995. 3 1/2 years into the N64 puts you into early 2000. 3 1/2 year is the total main lifespan for the GBA period. 

We are closer to end than we are the beginning and that's just normal. A new Nintendo handheld will be out in 2016. Book it. 

Around the Network

They're more worried getting Wii U known right now. I'm sure they have 3DS games they're gonna show off shortly but they don't really need to announce them a year before they release. I do agree though. I had no idea where 3DS support was at E3

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

aikohualda said:
2014 is not really a year for 3ds

pokemon and smash....

moster hunter 4

what else?

Theatrhthym and Persona Q?

baloofarsan said:

http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/3ds?filter=latest
One Piece: Unlimited World Red
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
Thorium Wars: Attack of the Skyfighter
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
FIFA 15: Legacy Edition
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Moon Chronicles
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World! Duel Carnival
Gunman Clive 2
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Mighty No. 9
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Skylanders Trap Team
Pokemon Art Academy
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Version
Pokemon Omega Ruby Version
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
Citizens of Earth
Story of Seasons
The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup
Fantasy Life
Siesta Fiesta

See something you like?

Please add the Ace Attorney Trilogy to that list, then I'll see what I really like. I've never played any of the games, so it will be the perfect way for me to jump in.

I'm pretty sure 3ds has 2 more healthy years at the very least, so they won't slow it down anytime soon.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

One year ago 

"OMG Nintendo is teh stooopid, why they make so many 3DS games, 3DS is doing fine, Wii U needs help now!"

In reality these decisions have to be made way in advance, you can't just one day say "OK now make games for this platform!" like you're making a hamburger that will be ready in 10 minutes. Game development takes 2-3 years. 

All the more reason they are going to route of a unified, single software ecosystem next time around. So much easier to manage. 

Also the 3DS has had a 3D Mario, a 2D Mario, a Zelda: OoT remake, an Zelda: LttP brand new sequel, a new Pokemon, Monster Hunter 3G and 4, a new Kid Icarus, a new Pilotwings, a new Nintendogs, a new Animal Crossing, a new Fire Emblem, a new Luigi's Mansion, a new Mario & Luigi, a new Paper Mario, two new Resident Evil games, a new Kingdom Hearts, a new Ridge Racer, the first Western release of Tomodachi Collection, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and TWO hardware revisions. 

Lets not act like Nintendo hasn't done a lot for this platform. At 3 1/2 years old it's perfectly normal for a platform to start seeing a slow down in 1st/2nd party offerings. 3 1/2 years into the SNES life cycle puts you into 1995. 3 1/2 years into the N64 puts you into early 2000. 3 1/2 year is the total main lifespan for the GBA period. 

We are closer to end than we are the beginning and that's just normal. A new Nintendo handheld will be out in 2016. Book it. 

The thing is, I was never calling for Nintendo to drop support for the 3DS and start developing full time for the Wii U - that was always a stupid idea. The Wii U is going no where, and people with some sense realise. The 3DS has always had a future and it actually had a chance to do quite well - in fact, it was, before Nintendo moved onto the Wii U. 

aikohualda said:
2014 is not really a year for 3ds

pokemon and smash....

moster hunter 4

what else?

Personally I'm very excited for Fantasy Life and Persona Q.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

It's probably because they don't have enough funds to evenly support each system. Looks like they plan to sell 3DS on its own value while Wii U finally gets a killer lineup

No. 3DS is doing good. Of course not as well as last year, but its still selling well.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

NintendoPie said:
Soundwave said:

One year ago 

The thing is, I was never calling for Nintendo to drop support for the 3DS and start developing full time for the Wii U - that was always a stupid idea. The Wii U is going no where, and people with some sense realise. The 3DS has always had a future and it actually had a chance to do quite well - in fact, it was, before Nintendo moved onto the Wii U. 

The Wii U projects that are releasing this year have been in development for 2+ years though you do realize that right? There's no way for Nintendo to have known then the Wii U would struggle like this, and even if they did, they are still obligated to give Nintendo console owners a new Zelda, a new DKC, Smash, Mario Kart, etc. etc.

Or they can leave the console business or retroactively not have made the Wii U in the first place, but how realistic is it to think there wasn't going to be a Wii successor? 

The 3DS has plenty of support too, so puuuuleaze, where is this mythical audience where every major Nintendo franchise on the 3DS already isn't good enough but adding a game like Advance Wars or something will finally get them to buy in? 

The 3DS has tons of software, if you haven't bought one yet, odds are you don't like Nintendo games to begin with in which case Nintendo was likely never going to win you over or you are waiting for some kind of price reduction or model revision. 

A new game to play every month from Nintendo is not realisitic guys, even Sony and MS cannot manage that (or even close), and who the hell even has the money to buy that many games. There are still some decent 3DS releases this year -- Tomodachi Life, Bravely Default, Super Smash Bros. 3DS, Pokemon Remakes, Mario Golf, Yoshi's New Island. 3DS is perfectly in line with other platforms that are well past the half cycle point of their life.