By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is the wii critic proof? (numbers inside)

HappySqurriel said:
tastyshovelware said:
HappySqurriel said:

In every entertainment format (movies, music, television, book and videogames) you can look at the quality of a product based on its 'artistic' merit or based on the pure entertainment value from it. The unfortunate problem is that videogame reviewers arbitrarily choose the metrics and scale that they judge videogame based upon, and these metrics and scales tend to be (very) unfair to certain games and genres.

well video games are a little different cause it's the only medium where the user is physically involved and controlling the action.

I understand the wii is a bit different and casual games were meant for causal gamers, but a poorly designed game is a poorly designed game.

When I say poorly designed, I'm not talking about the basic how tos of the game. I'm talking about graphics that are 1st gen ps2 quality, games with soundtracks that consist of 3 songs that endlessly loop, IR controls that don't work, a broken camera system, under 2 hours of real content, and a retail price of $40-50 to boot. Causal or not, simple or not, you can't just inflate scores for games that are obviously handled by a b-team of a dozen or fewer people for the lowest possible price. 

But how many of those things are true of games like Mario Party 8 or Carnival Games?

Regardless of whether anyone wants to admit it or not there is a lot of hypocrisy in how games are reviewed. Halo 3 is a game which has a weak single player game but gets nearly perfect scores because of how enjoyable its multiplayer gameplay is, in contrast Mario party 8 is an amazingly enjoyable multiplayer game gets lower scores because it has a weak single player game. I'm not saying these games should have received the same score, but you can't arbitrarily decide to apply your criteria for judging games.

i can't speak for carnival games, but on behalf of mario party 8, i mostly agree with the reviews.

Casual or not, there are general gaming flaws. the game is down right boring with fewer then 3 people, the games still move too slowly, victory is based too heavily on chance, the graphics still looks like mario party 4, and there is no 480p or wide screen options. 

it can definitely be fun, but there are flaws that have appeared in the series time after time. in the end, mario party 8 is as mario party 7, is as mario party 6, etc.

Around the Network

I'm sure that if you did similar analysis on the PS2's library you'd see a similar trend.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

maybe on an expanded sales search, but the top 50 is pretty much set in stone by this point.

Something like: GT3, GTA: SA, GTA: VC, GTA3, etc.

ok.........no matter how smart or cute the small guy in class is........he'll still be picked on!!!!!....and you know it man!!!!!!!!

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

im just saying there is a difference between a casual game and a bad game.

i think some people give casual games a free pass cause they're not meant for us. But no matter how simple or complex a game is, it's the developers job to make the most of what they're working with.

So, casual or not, games should by and large: limit frame rate drops, have graphics that feel modern in some respect (IE: at least GC caliber), assign proper IR controls that work, be bug free, have some effort put into their sound effects and music, have camera systems that work (if the game uses one), have a reasonable amount of content. And, above all, the game should come at a reasonable price.

I don't care if it's lair, devil may cry 2, or carnival games, if your game doesn't have polish, if it doesn't feel like it's worth the asking price, then it should be scored accordingly.

Around the Network

I have the number 1 and 15 in the list, I have good eye.

I never understood how a systems library can be judged by anything but taste.

I'll sum it up

Wii: Best developer in the world exclusively, but few to no others, and a budget price.

PS3/360: Second to last developers in the world develop multiplats, but no games from the worlds greatest developer will ever be on your system, paying a premium.

Now that is painting the Wii in a negative light, since atm, 3rd party developers are doing really good stuff on the system, and its painting the world in broad strokes, but when you get down to brass bones, you can't argue that the best critically consistant developer in the world developing exclusively for your system is anything that can a "bad library" make, but maybe I missed the point.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

well, the original post had no one point from my behalf. I just posted the question and some data. Take from it what you will.

People critique it all the time. What you talking about Willis?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I never understood how a systems library can be judged by anything but taste.

I'll sum it up

Wii: Best developer in the world exclusively, but few to no others, and a budget price.

PS3/360: Second to last developers in the world develop multiplats, but no games from the worlds greatest developer will ever be on your system, paying a premium.

Now that is painting the Wii in a negative light, since atm, 3rd party developers are doing really good stuff on the system, and its painting the world in broad strokes, but when you get down to brass bones, you can't argue that the best critically consistant developer in the world developing exclusively for your system is anything that can a "bad library" make, but maybe I missed the point.

"Best Developer in the world"? Capcom is by far better than Nintendo. Every single thing Capcom puts out is at least decent. Nintendo, on the other hand... I don't even want to go there. There are other developers that can easily match Nintendo's games, too. Furthermore, there are atleast five other publishers/developer that can match Nintendo's quality.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!