By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is the wii critic proof? (numbers inside)

let me first say i spent way too much time doing this.

ok, the number on the left is the games sales rank globally. then the name. then the bold number on the far right is how well the game ranks (in terms of a critical average) on the wii out of all games with at least 5 reviews.

(skip to the bottom for the breakdown)

1. wii sports- 22

2. wii play- 102

3. galaxy- 1

4. Mario party 8- 86

5. TP- 2

6. M&S at the Olympics- 70

7. wario ware- 10

8. paper Mario- 8

9. big brain- 64

10. GH 3- 5

11. RE4- 3

12. wii fit- NA

13. Mario strikers- 15

14. brawl- NA

15. rayman raving rabbids- 20

16. link’s crossbow- 57

17. MP 3- 4

18. carnival games- 110

19. red steel- 80

20. RE: UC- 23

21. my sims- 55

22. lego star wars- 13

23. pokemon: BR- 134

24. Sonic and the secret rings- 56

25. raving rabbids 2- 78

26. tiger woods 07- 38

27. cooking mama: CO- 95

28. high school musical: SI- 72

29. Excite trunk- 26

30. WWE 2008- 91

31. the simpsons game- 89

32. Madden 08- 16

33. Trauma center: SO- 12

34. dragon quest swords- 73

35. smarty pants- 74

36. fifa 08- 68

37. fire emblem- 17

38. madden 07- 11

39.  spiderman 3- 125

40. need for speed: PS- 93

41. super monkey ball- 37

42. dragon ball z: SN- (?)

43. CoD3- 58

44. happy feet- 141

45. DDR: HP- 47

46. the golden compass- 158

47. ghost squad- 42

48. dk: barrel blast- 148

49. naruto: CotNR- 28

50. Need for speed: C- 76

how have the best reviewed games faired so far?

games with averages in the top 10 that sold in the top 50- 7 

games with averages ranked between 11 and 20 that sold in the top 50- 7 (14)

games with averages ranked between 21 and 50 that sold in the top 50- 8 (22)

games with averages ranked between 51 and 100 that sold in the top 50- 18 (40)

games with averages ranked between 101 and 162 that sold in the top 50- 7 (47)

games without 5 total reviews that sold in the top 50- 3 (50)

total number of games with at least 5 reviews- 162

*all games ranked 59 or below average a score below 70%

links: 

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

-edit-

it turns out the gamerankings link is a general one. You have to enter in the system (wii), # of games to display (200), and min # of reviews (5). sorry about that.

Around the Network

because casuals dont go ign to check out new games That's why carnival games is platinum or million seller.

wow good work pretty interesting...i wish MP3 would have sold more tho

It's like the movie business, reviewers favor particular genres.

Good work. Although I think it would be similar to most consoles sales but probably slightly more profound on Wii.

Around the Network

I don't think any system has review scores really track well with game sales...

It would be even more interesting if you would also mention what games ranked in the top 10 or 20 and that didn't make the sales.

I started to, but I was getting a different rank than you had. IE: Paper mario was 7 instead of 8, and wario ware was 9 instead of 10???

im not sure, the link i listed should have everything matched up.

The fact that Mario Party 8 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games sell so many copies when they are simply mediocre games is pretty sickening. I mean stuff like No More Heroes may not have minigames and shameless Wii wanking, but at least it is a quality game. It is sad when quality games are shoved in the dirt by crap.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

If quality and critical acclaim were the sole factors behind game sales, then that ist would be much closer to equal in sales vs. ranking. Yet the truth is that most consumers don'r even look at reviews or care about quality when they go to look for a game. They go for familiarity and flashiness more than anything else. Which is why liscensed movie-related games still sell so well, in spite of their vast history of being shovelware, and why great titles like Metroid Prime 3 languish in comparative obscurity to the likes of Mario & Sonic at the Olympics.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

it's just kinda sad that 22 games with averages ranked between 1 and 50 sold in the top 50

while a near even 18 games with averages ranked between 51 and 100 sold in the top 50

(once again noting that games with averages ranked 59 or below averaged 70% or below)