By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the PS4 wins this gen, consoles will become obsolete

Nintendo will never be obsolete, their games are just too much fun to play. No one has been able to kill them in over one hundred years now. Not very good reasoning...

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Consoles as we know them will change into a streaming like service, where you have your dedicated device, but at the same time can play on other devices as well. So it all depends on what you mean by consoles.

i really curious to see what sony and ms put forth for their next gen hardware.

i agree,.. services like psnow is quite likely to be big in the future.  that means, at least as an option, a next gen console should be small and inexpensive and merely capable of downloading the psnow app and various other apps (netflix, hbo go, pandora, ect.).   if even 20% of console buyers go the streaming route the ability to put out profitable dedicated hardware is a much harder proprisition.  it also limits the psnow services best quality,.. a lack of hardware dependance that truely allows improved infrastructure on a yearly or better basis.

it will be interesting to see how the fracture in gaming is handeled.   it could be spectactular or a spectactualar failure.  so hard to tell.

Longer gaming cycle=bigger improvement when they do release or cheaper consoles when they release, more time for devs to optimize, bang for your buck without support being cut off so soon (under 5 years is too soon for sure I like this past gen's timetable). I hope 2020 is when new consoles come out or whenever we can start 4k gaming at a reasonable price (including the TVs)

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Im not out on this right now.... the s10+ beats a base xo and ps4 but the x1x and ps4 pro muddened the water regarding my estimation.
Because if the next gen is only a bit stronger then the x1x or pro the phones are the way to go, expecially with stadia aswell in mind.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Im not out on this right now.... the s10+ beats a base xo and ps4 but the x1x and ps4 pro muddened the water regarding my estimation.
Because if the next gen is only a bit stronger then the x1x or pro the phones are the way to go, expecially with stadia aswell in mind.

I will never play my games on a small ass screen like a phone or tablet.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

Hell of a necro-bump. No sir. PS4 has definitely won, but consoles are still going pretty strong.

Also, I think you’re seriously overestimating the practicality of Stadia.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

End of gen, phones get in range of consoles, then the next gen comes out. Cycle repeats. Still no AAA games on phones.

kirby007 said:

You should have waited until the PS4 passes the 100M before necrobumping the thread for extra effect.

kirby007 said:

I have no clue whether an S10+'s Snapdragon is equal to whatever CPU is in a base model PS4. The RAM looks fine at 8 - 12 GB. Current prices have that phone listed for $1000 on both Amazon and Best Buy though. So, even if an S10+ really were as powerful as a base model PS4, there would still be a ridiculous price gap. Or are consumers so idiotic that they will gladly pay a grand for a phone over four or five years of payments? 

We don't know enough about Stadia at this point to know if it will be a success. There's no price, and no list of games. Who knows if internet in the US will be good enough to run it for most consumers. 

kirby007 said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. CPU, possibly. But that's a really, really low bar. Like, first generation Core 2 Duo low. GPU, not a chance in hell. It likely loses even to the heavily downclocked Tesla inside the Switch since most of the Adreno GPU claimed specs concern a "burst mode" as opposite to the 60-65% lower clock it'll be running at most of the time due to heat/battery concerns.

Why even necrobump this, by the way? No one even remembered it. Why try to save face? You've just ended up drawing attention to yourself and your out-there claims.