By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the PS4 wins this gen, consoles will become obsolete

HoloDust said:

You really have no clue about hardware, do you?

PS4 comparable GPU is overall in performance around 20x iPad Air and up to 60x in specific tests. Even with Tegra K1, which is around 2x A7 SoC in Air, mobile devices have just started reaching level of PS360.

I won't even bother to get into matter of devs pulling out of mobile market due to over-saturation and poor discovery.

I don't? the next 4-5 years consoles won't improve spec wise. while mobiles and techology keeps on developing, just just a matter of time before they get overtaken, wouldn't suprise me if phones in 2015/2016 already will be compareable with the ps4/xo

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Wright said:

Why? As long as developers generate money with console gaming, nothing will become obsolete.

I can see PC-only owners getting screwed, though.

Yeah. Some jealous PC only people are always jealous about console exclusives. They are the ones who are saying consoles are dead.

kirby007 said:
HoloDust said:

You really have no clue about hardware, do you?

PS4 comparable GPU is overall in performance around 20x iPad Air and up to 60x in specific tests. Even with Tegra K1, which is around 2x A7 SoC in Air, mobile devices have just started reaching level of PS360.

I won't even bother to get into matter of devs pulling out of mobile market due to over-saturation and poor discovery.

I don't? the next 4-5 years consoles won't improve spec wise. while mobiles and techology keeps on developing, just just a matter of time before they get overtaken, wouldn't suprise me if phones in 2015/2016 already will be compareable with the ps4/xo

As I said, you obviously have absolutely no clue about hardware, and sorry, but I'm definitely not the one who'll be wasting time to teach you about TDP, manufacturing procceses, and current problems in the industry when it comes to sub 28nm nodes.

good lord.. can you imagine the horrible battery life on a phone that will be comparable with the ps4/x1? What'll be the point of mobile gaming if you can only do it in 30 min increments and then have to recharge your battery for the next 3-7 hrs?

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Why? The ps2 won and lasted a normal period. I'd say it's the opposite. If the race ends up being closer than it is now, the gen will last long. If ps4 keeps dominating, it'll be "short".
Let's all pray for ps4 domination. For the good of the industry!..

Around the Network

As long as the consoles keep selling and the flow of good games isn't interrupted, console gaming won't go anywhere. It's that simple. Besides, people don't want to buy a console every 3-4 years for a slight graphical improvement, especally if they haven't got their money's worth with the previous one. Releasing a slightly more powerful console in a short timespan will be fatal to a company, not to mention how defective and unreliable the system can be if rushed out to the market.

If anything a dominant console makes competition more eager to leap ahead. The PS2 dominating Xbox lead to Microsoft getting 360 out fast, while the close competition between 360 and PS3 lead to long generation.

The real good games will NEVER go to the mobile, no matter how long you pray for that. And games are the real gamblers here, not the consoles and its specs. Whoever looks for an excellent gaming platform, doesn't look for an iPhone or an iPad to play.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
fatslob-:O said:

Mobile devices like phones won't ever come close to consoles in power due to the fact that there's a limit to how much power they can consume ...

Not only that but price still depends on power vs size.  

Making things bigger is just cheaper.  Therefore consoles will always have a huge power advantage against phones.  Only thing that allows phones to somewhat catch up to older systems is because of regular updates.  The only thing that will make or break the traditional industry is whether consumers stops caring about power.  I think thats  why nintendo is loosing.  To a casual observer many of their games look like a tablet/mobile title but with a much higher pricetag in terms of games but also the console itself and since everyone already has a smartphone it really is a no brainer to the casual crowd.  I cant blame them for abandoning the industry. The best thing we can do is to turn over the casuals into being interested in pursuing the quality only consoles and pc, s can provide.  How to crack that nutshell is going to be tough but i think it can be done if we promote titles with story like beyond two souls. I think that is the best gateway to introduce casuals to proper games. It has simple controls that dont make them feel overwhelmed.  Heck its so simple it can be played on a tablet

kirby007 said:

And selling +100million, this gen is gonna last so long that the consoles will be FAR behind mobile phones, making consoles lag far behind the curve.
If this gen will end up short, and the next gen actually will be on par with the technological developments, consoles might not be doomed.

Consoles are already, always have been, behind phones/PCs in raw number therms!

However, consoles are a great dedicated platform for games, so far we get different kind of games on them compared to the portable devices and the exclusives + more integrated experience compared to PCs (however if you setup a PC with Steam Big Picture Mode and a controller you are pretty close to a console with limitless power)...

What I think is needed now is console generations that are completely and truly backward compatible so that we keep our investment in the platform we picked, devs would win in this by avoiding the constant re-learning of completely new hardware and software on each release, platform owners would win with more consumer loyalty (I would gladly buy a PS4.5 that truy runs Killzone:SF or Infamous:SS at full 60fps by example, like people upgrade their PCs to run new games with ultra settings or at a better frame rate all the time).

Also allowing more apps to be made by 3rd party on the PS4 would help diversify the platform (MS seems to be a little wiser in that sense).

Does that all matter? not really, consoles are only vehicules for our games, if the better games of 2018 end up being released on the iPad and I can conveniently use a wireless controller and output on my TV I will gladly play them, and all old consoles will become collectibles, in the end they're all computers.