By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the PS4 wins this gen, consoles will become obsolete

Another issue is this:
-The Wii sold better than the PS3 and X360, despite being an overclocked Gamecube
Wii U on another hand flopped because of marketing, look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SChWdprUnzw

There are 2 problem about the power of PS4 and XB1:
-People only look the pricetag, that one of the reasons why Wii sold better than PS3 and X360
-The PS3 and X360 caused damage to Sony and Microsoft in their economic: https://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/xbox-360-and-ps3-losses-total-8-billion-ex-sony-employee-paints-grim-future/

3 Billions in 2005= 3.56 Billions in 2013, 5 Billions in 2006= 5.78 Billions in 2013
They need to make profits with PS4 and XB1 at day one or they gonna have a economic crisis in their hands, specially Sony

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It's not the only games it would launch with. But those are all the good games from 2018 that are not exclusives. So on a year by year basis the library would be limited compared to any other option. MS has their own services that they will want to promote, so no MS exclusives on Stadia. Sony and Nintendo won't bother either. PC exclusives are unlikely to make it to Stadia due to their niche audiences. 

That's not even half of them. 

Argh! You're right. I hit the wrong button on Gamerankings. I was using XB1 as my base and removing any MS Studios owned games. But I forgot that XB1 games often don't get as much review coverage as other platforms. So by hitting the "with at least 10 reviews" button I was accidentally excluding a lot of really good stuff. 

XONE Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Ninja Theory, 2018
93.71%
7 Reviews
XONE Monster Hunter: World
Capcom, 2018
89.90%
10 Reviews
XONE Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition
Larian Studios Games Ltd, 2018
89.00%
5 Reviews
XONE Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Ubisoft, 2018
87.83%
18 Reviews
XONE Hitman 2
Io Interactive/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, 2018
86.73%
11 Reviews
XONE Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Toys for Bob/Activision, 2018
86.25%
8 Reviews
XONE Dragon Ball FighterZ
Arc System Works/Bandai Namco Games, 2018
85.55%
11 Reviews
XONE Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Treyarch/Activision, 2018
84.62%
8 Reviews
XONE Overcooked! 2
Ghost Town Games Ltd./Team 17, 2018
84.38%
8 Reviews
XONE FIFA 19
EA Sports/Electronic Arts, 2018
84.38%
12 Reviews
XONE SoulCalibur VI
Project Soul/Bandai Namco Games, 2018
84.22%
9 Reviews
XONE NHL 19
EA Sports/Electronic Arts, 2018
84.00%
11 Reviews
XONE Warhammer: Vermintide 2
Fatshark AB, 2018
83.88%
8 Reviews
XONE Far Cry 5
Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft, 2018
83.46%
13 Reviews
XONE F1 2018
Codemasters, 2018
83.33%
9 Reviews
XONE Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Eidos Montreal/Square EA, 2018
83.29%
24 Reviews

Pemalite said:

It takes about a generation for Phones to start getting near a console... At the moment we are in that funny place of having games with Xbox 360 levels of geometric complexity but with some other assets reminiscent of the Xbox One/Playstation 4.

Yeah that's how high-end handhelds vs consoles have been for the last 30 or so years.

Game Gear released around the time Genesis/SNES did but was on par with Master System/NES.

Sega Nomad released around the time PS1/Saturn/N64 did but was just a handheld Genesis.

PSP released 1-2 years before 360/PS3 but was a bit under DC/PS2.

Vita released 2 years before PS4/XBO but was under 360/PS3.

Switch released about halfway into PS4/XBO generation and is right in between 360/PS3 & PS4/XBO.

It seems like high end portable hardware is always like 7-8 years behind home consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

It takes about a generation for Phones to start getting near a console... At the moment we are in that funny place of having games with Xbox 360 levels of geometric complexity but with some other assets reminiscent of the Xbox One/Playstation 4.

Yeah that's how high-end handhelds vs consoles have been for the last 30 or so years.

Game Gear released around the time Genesis/SNES did but was on par with Master System/NES.

Sega Nomad released around the time PS1/Saturn/N64 did but was just a handheld Genesis.

PSP released 1-2 years before 360/PS3 but was a bit under DC/PS2.

Vita released 2 years before PS4/XBO but was under 360/PS3.

Switch released about halfway into PS4/XBO generation and is right in between 360/PS3 & PS4/XBO.

It seems like high end portable hardware is always like 7-8 years behind home consoles.

The Game Gear was pretty much a portable Master Master System, both had the same hardware inside.

There's 2 missing, though:

The PC Engine GT, which is a PC Engine/TurboGraphX 16 in Gameboy format.

And the Atari Lynx, which was graphically close to the Megadrive, and had the fastest CPU of the entire Gen (a Motorola 68K at 16Mhz; Megadrive has the same but at a slower clock speed.)

Pemalite said:

Moores law does mean that phones can match a console, it just takes a long time... The same thing holds true with Console vs PC, PC can have much higher powerlevels.

For example, the Adreno 680 should be able to match the Xbox One in most tasks, especially when half precision is leveraged... The CPU that it is paired with should already have the edge anyway.

The next generation which could very well likely be the last one due to the ending of Moore's Law and is where consoles are potentially going into a place where mobile devices likely won't ever come and that is hardware accelerated ray tracing ... 

Ray tracing is going to likely be the defining difference between a portable and a home experience. It's going to be very difficult to reauthor a game that's built ground up for ray tracing on mobile hardware even with the possible future logic nodes left ... 

Mobile hardware is practically doomed to only match the power of a PS4 Pro by 2030 and I'm not sure if we'll be able to shrink transistors any further by then. It took 7nm in the high-end mobile chip space to even come close resembling the capabilities of an original Xbox One which is depressing since the latter was designed initially for 28nm ... 

If we go into doing multi-bounce ray tracing the future for mobile hardware becomes totally hopeless at that point ... 

Around the Network

I don't understand why people think that mobile phones will have some major impact on consoles if only they had more power than consoles. The type of games people want to play on mobile phones, for the most part, would not even take advantage of this power. I've gotten into Elder Scrolls Blades recently and the graphics are nice. If they were better than PS4 Pro it would have zero impact on how much time I spend playing games on my phone. Since I started playing this game I now have to be much more aware of charging my phone and its kind of a pain. The game is designed in such a way that unless I want to spend 100's or 1000's of dollars on the game you play a little bit here and a little bit there. I couldn't imagine playing a proper Elder Scrolls game on my phone. My phone would be completely dead several times a day plus I wouldn't want to play that type of game on such a small screen with or without a controller add-on. Part of why I'm willing to play this game on my phone is because it is a more simple game that is built around one-handed touch screen control. In no way does this replace the time I'd be spending on a proper Elder Scrolls sequel. I have the option of streaming PS4 games to my phone but for obvious reasons, I choose not to.

kirby007 said:
Honestly i don't mind being wrong or being percieved as wrong. Its a good discussion to be had right now. Now my assumption might not have happend in the timeframe i set but wouldnt it be great to have for lets say 10 -20 euros a month extra a device you would have had otherwise anyway that can stream or play what consoles or older pcs can play aswell hell maybe even highend pcs with enough technological advancements? Instead of simply saying no, think with me

Nope, it wouldn't. I like to have my discs and also to play the best version on cost benefit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BTW somebody tell me which is the X360 CPU equivalent to PCs

Charlesabl8770 said:

There isn't one.
But the older Intel Atom is probably the closest thing we have. Or a Dual-Core Pentium 4.

The Xbox 360's CPU is an In-order core, hyper-threaded, low-IPC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Charlesabl8770 said:

There isn't one.
But the older Intel Atom is probably the closest thing we have. Or a Dual-Core Pentium 4.

The Xbox 360's CPU is an In-order core, hyper-threaded, low-IPC.

Well, the CPU has some limited Out-of-Order capabilities though not nearly as extensive as X-86 cores. These have to be activated by the programs, which is part of the reason why the PPE in both Xenos and especially the Cell in the PS3 are so hard to program.

Since Xenos is a triple-core, I generally likened it to an Athlon II X3 4xx, which has the same amount of cores. The more modern, much faster architecture should make up for the lack of hyperthreading and some clock speed difference, so an 400e might suffice already.

I think likening it to the older Atom is going a bit too far, at least in performance. The Atom is comparable to early Pentium 4 in performance, both in IPC and clock speed. That's just a bit too slow.